Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy vs Paraguay - 7.30pm RTE 2 and BBC HD

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'd like for Italy to get another goal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'll be honest and say i dont know enough about Qua and Di Natales season to say whether or not rossi should be there but ive alwayst rossi is a brilliant little forward and very dangerous from what ive seen of him on the other hand ive seen Iaquinta a few times now and hes been dissapointing

Iaquinta isn't great tbh.
    Had a terrible season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Nice shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

That Paraguay keeper is shockin.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

A lack of pace and a solid striker will kill Italy but my god they can pass and control the ball superbly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Lowest amount of goals in any World Cup according to Bill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

So any news on what happened to Bufon??

Lower back problem apparently according to goal. Hope he isnt badly injured.

Think he had a similar injury during the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

There is a lot of really poor teams at the world cup. It could be the defensive tactics are killing the players motivation and ability to shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Gilardino was awful tonight but Pepe looked decent.

Pirlo will make a difference, but the strikers aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Osu wrote: »
    Gilardino was awful tonight but Pepe looked decent.

Pirlo will make a difference, but the strikers aren't great.

Di Natale should have started. but Lippi prefers his old guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

If it wasn't for the keeper, Paraguay could go very far in the tournament!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Gilardino was awful tonight

He wasn't given the proper service at all and was surprisingly isolated throughout. They went 4-4-2 and then started to get more balls through, but Gilardino wasn't on long enough to benefit from this formation.

I think it'd be fairer to criticise a player that had enough ball to prove himself (Iaquinta for example). He was extremely wasteful in possession and made a number of poor decisions when it came to crossing/not crossing. He's not good enough for that team. Di Natale should be in there instead, up there with Gilardino.

De Rossi MOM for me.

If it wasn't for the keeper, Paraguay could go very far in the tournament!

Don't agree with this at all. Apart from the goal, they never looked much use.

Don't agree with this at all. Apart from the goal, they never looked much use.

Most teams aren't looking any use so far though! Valdes and Alcaraz looked very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Fairly suprised Cardoza didnt start. He had a pretty good season last year......

Most teams aren't looking any use so far though! Valdes and Alcaraz looked very good!

Most teams don't on day 1.

Cardoza was injured afaik.

Most teams don't on day 1.

Cardoza was injured afaik.

Germany, Argentina, Italy, Spain and Ecuador all looked very impressive in their first matches four years ago!

Only Germany has laid down a serious marker so far, but wait and see. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

De Rossi is barely recognizable with the beard
    He's starting to look a bit like Totti.
    Dean820 wrote: »
    I was thinking that too. He's constantly changing his look every tournament.
    Well tournaments are generally two years apart.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Iaquinta isn't great tbh.
    Had a terrible season too.
    Iaquinta is a donkey. For a striker, his finishing is dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Italy look very pedestrian, or at least they did until Cam came on, shook the whole team up, case of too little too late unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I watched a good few Serie A games this season, Italys woeful performance is no surprise. They're always slow starters, but they'll stay slow in this tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Apres match was good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

My take on tonights action, as usual, from Back Page Football.
    Italy-dejection-v-Paraguay-World-Cup_2465684.jpg

1. Wish you were here…

How bad do Italy miss Francesco Totti? Not just Totti, but how bad do they miss Alessandro Del Piero and Robert Baggio? The age of the trequartista seems to be over in Italy with the former two approaching retirement, and with the only other real candidate in Antonio Cassano being as mentally stable as Lindsay Lohan, Italy have suffered as a result. Marcello Lippi has been forced to switch to the now universally-favoured 4-3-3 ahead of the traditional 4-4-2 (or 4-3-1-2, with the ‘1′ being the trequartista) and it just does not suit the current crop of players. They struggled to score in a weak qualifying group when compared to the other power nations at the World Cup – 18 goals compared England’s 34, Spain’s 28 or Germany’s 26. Holland also only scored 18, but they played 2 games fewer than the Italians, and boasted the best defensive record of any European team. It was this lack of creativity that screamed at us through our television screens tonight – even now as the game has just finished, you would struggle to recall a clinical chance that fell their way. A paltry 10 attempts at goal sums up a thoroughly uninspiring performance, especially when compared to Argentina, England, Holland and France who all had their respective struggles this week. Argentina managed 20 shots on target against Nigeria – double Italy’s tally – while the former three managed 18 attempts each in their own respective games.

2. Untraditional, Unfamiliar, Uninspiring

Italy just don’t do 4-3-3 formations. It’s a traditionally quick formation, for fast players and requires a lot of width from your two outside forwards. Iaquinta, the quintessential targetman, gets put out on the left and while he shows a Dirk Kuyt like persistance to make it work, it’s just not a position he’s suited to. You want him up top where Gilardino is, but then you’re leaving out the more clinical striker of the two. One of them must be sacrificed for Italy’s next game, and it should really be Iaquinta. Still, Italy’s squad lacks the two suitable players you would want there. Ideally, you want an Nani, an Arjen Robben or a Theo Walcott out there. The best Lippi’s side can offer is Di Natale and Pepe, both good players in there own rights, but still not entirely appropriate. Given this, if you don’t supply the front men then it doesn’t matter who you play there, and this was Italy’s main downfall tonight. De Rossi played his holding role correctly without being outstanding, and popped up with a crucial goal. But Marchisio and Montolivio offered very little to Gilardino and co. up front. Montolivio is more of a traditional ‘regista’ type Italian midfielder, while Marchisio is a lot more emphatic in his tackling. It would have made more sense to have Montolivio as the furthest forward midfielder, but this is a role Marchisio found himself occupying and he looked uncomfortable. He is at his best bang in the middle of the park, where you get the best out of both his defensive capabilities and his great array of passing. Montolivio lacks the bite of his Juventus counterpart, so he would have been more suited in Marchisio’s role. This was indeed shown when Camoranesi came on for Marchisio, and Italy looked more threatening than we had seen all night. With the 4-3-3, you also need a lot of forward runs from your full-backs, something we’ve seen Zambrotta do over the years on either side. The more defensive minded Domenico Criscito was reluctant to do this however, and Italy might be better served moving Zambrotta to left back and starting Napoli’s Christian Maggio next time out.

1276547221108080.jpg

3. As Expected
    Paraguay have always been referred to as the most workman-like side to represent South America at this summer’s finals, and they conformed to type again tonight. But let’s be honest, Gerardo Martino was always going to set out his stall in the hope of containing the Italians and earning what would be an inevitably frustrating solitary point. They’ve achieved as much, albeit with a goal they never looked like scoring from their only attempt on target all night. That goal did however come about from their refusal to allow the Italian’s to dwell comfortably on the ball. For the first 70 odd minutes, they were like a team of Carlos Tevez and Darren Fletchers, hassling the Italians at every opportunity. Martino’s main concern will be the alarming rate at which fatigue set in come the midway point of the second half, but credit where it’s due, Paraguay battled hard tonight and opinion will be split on whether they deserved their point or not. As if they care!

Italy-v-Paraguay-Antolin-Alcaraz-mobbed_2465675.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I wouldn't be writing Italy off yet. They should still come through that group handily enough and they are traditionally slow starters in tournamnets (USA '94). They looked a lot better when Camoranesi and then Di Natale were introduced, if you add Pirlo into the mix as well then I think they can still make a deep run in this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I wouldn't be writing Italy off yet. They should still come through that group handily enough and they are traditionally slow starters in tournamnets (USA '94). They looked a lot better when Camoranesi and then Di Natale were introduced, if you add Pirlo into the mix as well then I think they can still make a deep run in this tournament.

Not this time imo. I hope they do, some of their players are personal favourites of mine (De Rossi, Pirlo) but they're hampered by Lippi's penchant for a system that he just doesn't have the players for. They'll get out of their group like you said, but if they come up against Holland in the last 16 or Spain/Brazil in the QF, they'll struggle big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Another dissapointing game, only game decent so far has been Germany Australia, (in fairness I missed Argentina), but hopefully it will improve in the 2nd , 3rd group games ...

maybe Spain + Brazil will be decent..

Advertisement