Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML 5

Options
  • 14-06-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Just thought i would start a thread on html 5 as it seems to being gathering pace with browsers share increasing.

Anyone using it know? and for what?
    Anyone seen anything cool built with it?
    Will it help to increase standards for design across the industry?

I came across this site which shows off some of its features
    http://html5demos.com/
    Some good sites showcased here
    http://html5gallery.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I think the most exiting things about it are the audio and video tags. That's going to be really good! I've been using www.quackit.com/html_5 to look at the new features. It will probably take a while to use them all comfortably though, everyone will still be in incompatible browsers for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Another cool site i found showcasing html 5
    http://mrdoob.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I think the most exiting things about it are the audio and video tags. That's going to be really good! I've been using www.quackit.com/html_5 to look at the new features. It will probably take a while to use them all comfortably though, everyone will still be in incompatible browsers for a while yet.

I think the client side storage is pretty exciting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Unfortunately as OP's mrdoob.com link demonstrates html5 has the potential to bring about a renaissance in gratuitous animations and self-indulgent splash pages - that's not a good thing.

I won't start using html5 until my analytics show around 80%+ of site visitors are using compatible browsers, you'll just end up doubling your work.

I tend to err on the side of caution and go for the lowest common denominator in terms of technology vistors use - until a technology/standard falls below about 15% of visitors then I move up to the next lowest %, and make sure that level depreciates gracefully.

On a related note Smashing Magazine had a great CSS3 competition recently - here are the results http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/07/12/css3-design-contest-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Use html5 now & if you use class names to coincide with the naming conventions, when it becomes the norm you've very little work to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Like any new technology on the web, from JavaScript to Flash to ... ugh, VRML? (ha) there's a definite period where common sense and acknowledgement of the end-users' needs go out the window. I'm not yet convinced what HTML5 will bring to the user that will engage or enrich their experience (bar maybe the audio / video elements).

As lovely as those demo pages are to look at - and from a purely technical level they are impressive, I just foresee a glut of splash screens, intros and frippery that will make web browsing a pain until design houses calm down. Assuming HTML5 takes off that is.

Here's another site showcasing html5 http://tv.clicker.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭lucideer

cormee wrote: »
    I won't start using html5 until my analytics show around 80%+ of site visitors are using compatible browsers, you'll just end up doubling your work.

The question to ask here is "what IS HTML5?". There is a lot in the HTML5 spec. that you very easily can use now, that's completely backward compatible.

1. Most of the javascript APIs can be used with feature detection.
    2. A lot of the "Web Forms" section simply falls back gracefully to text inputs in old browsers, so can be used now.
    3. AppCache - a SUPER useful method of increasing your control over how the browser caches your webpage is simply ignored by older browsers, so can be easily used today.

etc. etc.

On the other hand, the new elements (section, summary, etc.) can't be used reliably without a javascript shim (which adds extra load and won't work in javascript-less useragents) and as far as I can tell, the new elements offer absolutely zero advantage except that some people think they "look nicer" - their supposed "semantic value" is no different to using semantic classes, except that you're far more limited in choice.

All round though, the best thing is to look at HTML5, select the backward compatible, no-hassle parts you can use and leave the rest 'til later (or never).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    Use html5 now & if you use class names to coincide with the naming conventions, when it becomes the norm you've very little work to do.

Can you give an example of what you mean by that please?

• Advertisement

Sure, you could use:

<div class=”header”> <div class=”nav”> <div class=”content”>

That way you're keeping the same naming as the new html5 elements, making it easy to switch when you're ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    Sure, you could use:

<div class=”header”> <div class=”nav”> <div class=”content”>

That way you're keeping the same naming as the new html5 elements, making it easy to switch when you're ready.

Thanks for that. So you would not actually be using HTML5, just preparing for when it does go mainstream?

On another note, another thing I've noticed is that CSS3 and HTML5 seem to be grouped together in a lot of articles, as if CSS3 will only work with HTML5.

An example would be the title of this post here:

http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/news/create-a-sticky-note-effect-in-5-easy-steps-with-css3-and-html5/

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any HTML5 in that tutorial. The CSS3 is pretty cool though, even if the full benefit is only experienced in webkit browsers.

For those elements yes, but you can use html doctype now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Advertisement