Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Americans Ever learn

• 14-06-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

zit.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang on, Irishman amused at "moral victory"? Irony alert! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Only in America........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

The NY Post is an absolute rubbish drag of a newspaper.

And it's idiocy on your part to generalise them as Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

WIZE wrote: »
    zit.jpg

That was actually tongue-in-cheek. Fair play NY Post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

OP seriously?

As RichTea said it was a joke. Also I guess the Bunker Hill reference flew over your head...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I believe it was a direct respons to a couple of S*n headlines.
    Bravo, I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

LOL like OMG how can them Yanks be so airheaded about the game of Soccer. It was a tied game due to a fumble in the endzone by the goaltender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I believe it was a direct respons to a couple of S*n headlines.
    Bravo, I say.

Exactly. This is a particularly good example of the sun headline in this vid

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    LOL like OMG how can them Yanks be so airheaded about the game of Soccer. It was a tied game due to a fumble in the endzone by the goaltender.

I love how stuff like this gets peddled out by the British and Irish media (including the BBC surprisingly) and yet every American I've met who is interested in the game of soccer has a much broader knowledge of the game than most fans over here. Perhaps it's from the fact that they have access to a wider variety of leagues on TV over there. Maybe it's because they have to be extra devoted to football, a sport that until recently was not followed by a lot of Americans.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people try to belittle the soccer knowledge of people in foreign countries. FFS America have a good team and all. We've seen it a lot in the coverage of the tournament so far (patronising the referees from Uzbekistan and Japan for understanding something SO complex as the rules of the game).

People should grow up and realise that football is a global game and is enjoyed everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Not so wize now!

lolz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

RichTea wrote: »
    I love how stuff like this gets peddled out by the British and Irish media (including the BBC surprisingly) and yet every American I've met who is interested in the game of soccer has a much broader knowledge of the game than most fans over here. Perhaps it's from the fact that they have access to a wider variety of leagues on TV over there. Maybe it's because they have to be extra devoted to football, a sport that until recently was not followed by a lot of Americans.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people try to belittle the soccer knowledge of people in foreign countries. FFS America have a good team and all. We've seen it a lot in the coverage of the tournament so far (patronising the referees from Uzbekistan and Japan for understanding something SO complex as the rules of the game).

People should grow up and realise that football is a global game and is enjoyed everywhere.
    Just to be clear I was lampooning how we treat American knowledge of the sport. Sure they along with the Australians have brought the most fans to the WC, these two countries are laughed at by Britain as treating football as a part time sport for people not physical or manly enough for the real sports of NFL and Aussie Rules/Rugby. Just because the English invented the game does not mean they are the most knowledgeable about the facets of the game and can not deride another country who does not preference football as their primary sport

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Just to be clear I was lampooning how we treat American knowledge of the sport. Sure they along with the Australians have brought the most fans to the WC, these two countries are laughed at by Britain as treating football as a part time sport for people not physical or manly enough for the real sports of NFL and Aussie Rules/Rugby. Just because the English invented the game does not mean they are the most knowledgeable about the facets of the game and can not deride another country who does not preference football as their primary sport

I know yeah. I was just saying how much I hate that attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I see someone nicked my picture:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

5:50.

There was alot of people back then under the impression that we beat England 1-1 aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

its amazing how arrogant we are in ireland and england towards american's and soccer.Phrases like know your place used in the opening of the itv coverage of the game on saturday.
    Listen or watch any of the espn shows,the dan patrick show or read si.com to see how serious they take it and how much they know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,445 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

raven136 wrote: »
    its amazing how arrogant we are in ireland and england towards american's and soccer.Phrases like know your place used in the opening of the itv coverage of the game on saturday.
    Listen or watch any of the espn shows,the dan patrick show or read si.com to see how serious they take it and how much they know about.

Exactly. There is a perception that the US team should be s**te and their supporters and media stupid just because it is not a big sport media and attendance wise in the US .

It's a country of 215 million people, sure there are people who have no idea the world cup is on and care less, but there are millions who are extremely tuned into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Can't blame the American media for headlines like that when you consider what garbage The Sun prints.

And the England team might do well to watch the game and witness how the Americans fought for every ball, whilst English players looked pretty lackadaisical - it was as though they believed all the hype and considered the Americans to be there for the taking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

OFFS, it's been pointed out it was a joke already.

Bunker hill was a battle in 1775 outside boston where the british won the battle but lost 1/3rd of their troops with even more wounded it's generally seen or referred to as a "Pyrrhic victory". the NY Post are basically saying "we didn't win, but you guys are in bad shape after this" and they have a valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

raven136 wrote: »

Appreciate you have mentioned Ireland but hey everyone knocking the English coverage just look at OUR OWN coverage on RTE on Saturday night and the comments about the USA team.

Seaneh wrote: »

Bunker hill was a battle in 1775 outside boston where the british won the battle but lost 1/3rd of their troops with even more wounded it's generally seen or referred to as a "Pyrrhic victory". the NY Post are basically saying "we didn't win, but you guys are in bad shape after this" and they have a valid point.

You so stole that off Wiki.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Seaneh wrote: »

So then why did you go to the bother of re-pointing it out?:confused:

That's a great headline !! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

tdv123 wrote: »
    5:50.

There was alot of people back then under the impression that we beat England 1-1 aswell.

haha the aul lad at 4:40ish not happy with your man in the way.

bill hasnt changed a bit.

the smoking in the pubs!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ironic that the Irish Times managed to do this today, presumably without the tongue-in-cheek aspect of it.

117051.png

And they spelt Winston wrong. Very shoddy

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,573 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I say let the sheisters have a laugh at our expense. How many gold medals do they have?

Its never going to be as big as the NFL but thats not to say there isn't a following, or talent.

And whatever way you look at that goal; England was off guard, and we held our own that game. If the USA didnt have any potential it would have been a 2-0 game or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Overheal wrote: »
    I say let the sheisters have a laugh at our expense. How many gold medals do they have?

Its never going to be as big as the NFL but thats not to say there isn't a following, or talent.

And whatever way you look at that goal; England was off guard, and we held our own that game. If the USA didnt have any potential it would have been a 2-0 game or worse.

Yep, NFL will always be bigger. People seem to think that, that leaves us with having no clue about soccer/football.

I think we did a lot for our football rep in that game. Then some fans try to take that away.

Bitter fans at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

For anybody in the US Some useful WC links:

A legal HD Stream of the world cup:
    http://futbol.univision.com/fifacopa...tidos-en-vivo/ May have to refresh a few times to get past the ad bug

Main site:
    http://futbol.univision.com/

Also highlights of all the games 30 mins after half time and full time:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/?cc=5901&ver=us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,573 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dude (:D) Just go to espn.com, free streaming from the horse's mouth.

Final thought on the goal that I just realised: **** it. The Keeper had as much time to train with the new shagging ball as the Americans and He fumbled it. His own damn fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Overheal wrote: »
    Dude (:D) Just go to espn.com, free streaming from the horse's mouth.

Final thought on the goal that I just realised: **** it. The Keeper had as much time to train with the new shagging ball as the Americans and He fumbled it. His own damn fault.

ESPN360 is blocked at work :( luckly they havent stoped the spanish channels :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

RichTea wrote: »

If you want to English to respect you more, stop calling it Soccer, simples:D

Who bought the steaks by the way, the British or American ambassador?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The US ambassador was on Andrew Marr on Sunday morning , he said they would both meet up and buy their own dinner .

He did confirm that such a bet took place .

And Fred you are SPOT ON about the word soccer . I HATE IT !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The English started calling it Soccer before anyone else did.

And seeing that its a more recent football than Gaelic Football, I'll keep calling it soccer anyway!

Advertisement