Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roast veg soup.

Options
  • 14-06-2010 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of making a roast veg soup. I've chopped up fresh garlic, 1 red onion, 2 red peppers, 3 chillie peppers and 1 large ramero pepper.

I've bunged them in the oven with a small bit of olive oil.

When they are cooked I'm going to fire them in a blender then cook with passata and stock.

I'm just wondering why any recipes I've looked up say to take the skin off the roast peppers. Is it because they get charred or is there another reason? I kinda just want to throw it all in the blender straight from the oven.

Anyone any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I'm guessing it won't get chopped up properly by the blender and so the soup will be a weird grainy texture instead of smooth. That's what happened to me when I put roast squash into soup with the skin on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For what it is worth - if I'm roasting garlic I just throw the whole head into the oven in one piece. This prevents the garlic from burning - which can make it quite bitter. After 20/25 mins you can just squeeze the flesh out of each clove & it has a really sweet taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Happier

rgiller wrote: »
    I'm guessing it won't get chopped up properly by the blender and so the soup will be a weird grainy texture instead of smooth. That's what happened to me when I put roast squash into soup with the skin on

Yep, just happened me too :) I just picked out the bits of skin.
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    For what it is worth - if I'm roasting garlic I just throw the whole head into the oven in one piece. This prevents the garlic from burning - which can make it quite bitter. After 20/25 mins you can just squeeze the flesh out of each clove & it has a really sweet taste.

Will try this next time. There's an outrageously nice smell of roast garlic in my kitchen now mmmmmmmm.

I milled it all together anyway and added passata and beef stock, 2 cubes of sugar and some dried chillies. Letting it work its magic now and by the time I'm back from my walk it should be lovely. Here's hoping anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Sounds lovely, how did it work out?

Can you post the recipe?

Thanks

dixiefly wrote: »
    Sounds lovely, how did it work out?

Can you post the recipe?

Thanks

Hi there, it was looovely. Although more of a winter recipe I reckon.

Recipe:
    3 fresh garlic cloves
    1 red onion
    1 sweet ramero pepper
    2 red peppers
    2 red chilli peppers
    1 orange chilli pepper
    1 small head of broccoli
    Some olive oil for roasting
    1 knorr beef stock cube
    2 cubes of sugar
    Salt
    Pepper
    Dried chilli flakes.

I roasted fresh garlic, 1 red onion, 2 red peppers, 3 chillie peppers and 1 large ramero pepper with a drizzle of olive oil.

I did them in the oven for about 50 mins, stirring every 15 minutes.

Meanwhile I cooked the broccoli and drained it, ready to be added to the other veg and blended.

When the roast veg were done I whisked everything with a blender (you should take the skin off the red peppers before blending them).

I used Lidl passata and a knorr beef stockpot, added to the roast stuff, 2 sugarcubes, some salt and black pepper and some dried chillli flakes.

Let simmer for about 45 minutes, then added another 500mls of water.

Allowed to simmer for a further 15 mins then serve.

It was fiery stuff! Very delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That sounds souper! :o:D

I brought some over to my friend's house last night. He loved it too. Am going to do loads more experiments soon.

Advertisement