Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Touring Wheels

• 14-06-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations for touring wheels for my road bike? Strength and durability being the main considerations. More spokes the better.

Preferably something that comes factory built so I can just click buy and don't have to fanny around with having them built up.

Edit: Suitable for light touring. 700x28C tyres.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

If you go onto crazy guy on a bike each log has an equipment list with pricing. You'll be spoilt for choice, also there is a forum for parts where its all discussed. After you have put in the hard work you might post up:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you go onto crazy guy on a bike each log has an equipment list with pricing. You'll be spoilt for choice, also there is a forum for parts where its all discussed. After you have put in the hard work you might post up:o
    I have done a few google searches but didn't come up with anything that jumped out. I'll have a look at crazyguy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

I know you'd prefer factory built, but if you got a pair of XT hubs in 36h built into Mavic A719s, you'd have a really decent set of touring wheels, strong & reliable. Shouldn't cost much more than €250 if you go by these prices (i'm assuming €70-80 for labour & spokes based on a recent wheelbuild i had done in Cyclesuperstore):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20804

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20801

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8947

I know you'd prefer factory built
    I'm not sure there are many great factory built options in this territory, cheers for the links I'll have a look at them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I tour on 36 spoke T520s on a Chorus rear hub and a SON front hub.

DFD.

• Advertisement

I know you'd prefer factory built, but if you got a pair of XT hubs in 36h built into Mavic A719s, you'd have a really decent set of touring wheels, strong & reliable. Shouldn't cost much more than €250 if you go by these prices (i'm assuming €70-80 for labour & spokes based on a recent wheelbuild i had done in Cyclesuperstore):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20804
    OK some basic questions WRT to this hub.

According to this link, It seems to be 135mm and my rear dropouts are 130mm. Would that small difference matter? Or am I measuring the wrong thing?

Also it accepts 8/9 speed shimano cassettes. I have a 9 speed on my bike at the moment but to make it future proof I would like the option of using 10 a speed. Any ideas on this front?

This is the gear list log from an Irish couple who covered over 6000km via middle east- Mongolia-russia-philippians so all terrain covered and only one broken spoke (as far as I could see)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Most touring wheels (and by extension most touring frames) are built around MTB hubs which are 135mm wide. You could swap XT for something like 105/Ultegra and it would be the same level. If it's an old road frame then chances are the dropouts are 130mm.

As for gearing, 10 speed in touring is not really the done thing. Most tourers run 9 speed or 8 speed. But if you use the 105/Ultegra hub then you could run 10 speed. Not sure if I would recommend 10 speed for loaded touring though.

penexpers wrote: »
    Most touring wheels (and by extension most touring frames) are built around MTB hubs which are 135mm wide. You could swap XT for something like 105/Ultegra and it would be the same level. If it's an old road frame then chances are the dropouts are 130mm.

As for gearing, 10 speed in touring is not really the done thing. Most tourers run 9 speed or 8 speed. But if you use the 105/Ultegra hub then you could run 10 speed. Not sure if I would recommend 10 speed for loaded touring though.

Yeah I was looking at this 105 hub, I presume its not going to quite as rugged as a MTB hub, but I'm not planning any daring adventures on this bike. Its just for touring around Ireland (maybe Europe) with a 2 ortlieb front roller panniers on the rear and maybe a bivvy tent.

Whats wrong with 10 speed for loaded touring? Finding replacement parts in far off regions? I think if I ever get round to cycling in the 2nd and 3rd world I'd buy a specific touring bike with 26" wheels.

Just wondering if you are turning a road bike into a tourer has it carbon components on it such as the forks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My touring bike came with WTB Dual Duty wheelset with XC rims. They seem pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38867

Out of stock atm but worth considering.

I would go 36 holes and get handbuilts for the bit extra money/hassle.They will last forever.

I recently chose Hope hubs over Shimano for my new touring/everyday wheels having spoken to a guy who does massive mileage and raves about the hopes.

The freewheel ratchet is loud though so if you are trying to sneak up on somebody you have to pedal.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

According to this link, It seems to be 135mm and my rear dropouts are 130mm. Would that small difference matter?

My touring bike has 135mm rear width, but as penexpers says you could go for a road hub instead if the drop outs are 130mm.

i'd be interested to know why you wouldn't recommend 10 speed for touring? I just ask cos I'd been thinking of upgrading to 10 speed later this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Two reasons: availability of spare parts. Not every lbs will have spare 10 speed parts but they'll likely have 8/9 speed. Also 10 speed chains are more likely to snap under load than 8/9 speed

Just wondering if you are turning a road bike into a tourer has it carbon components on it such as the forks?

Yes the front fork, it has eyelets on it but the most I'll be loading it with is a handlebar bag. That guy who toured the Americas on telly there recently had a carbon front fork. This is very bare touring I'm doing. Adding in the weight of my panniers from the last little trip I think I was under the recommended weight on the mavic aksiums I have, but I didn't feel entirely confident. I'd like the extra assurance of 36 spokes on a weekend away.

Actually, here's a picture of the bike loaded from the last trip, next trip I'd like to add a small tent and handlebar bag.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116976&stc=1&d=1276545074

And here's a picture of a happy donkey.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116975&stc=1&d=1276545074

I asked him 'why the long face?'. He hadn't heard it before.

I'm going with Shimano 105 or Ultegra Hubs and Mavic Open Pro Sport Rims.

The Open Pro sport rims accomodate 19-32mm tyres which will be more useful to me than the A719s which accomodate 28 to 47 mm.

Mr Skeff is gonna build them and source spokes for me (thank god, that DT swiss spoke calculator looks complicated).

Cheers everyone for the advice.

Advertisement