Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just learning to cook - some ideas?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping you might be able to help me out with a few things Im thnking Id like to cook. Normally, I would just throw in a microwave meal and have that for the night but I've recently bought a couple of cookbooks and turns out I love cooking new meals! : -)

Theres a few things I like the sound of but have no idea really how to make them or what ingredients to use to get a nice taste, they probably sound very simple to you but are a mjor breakthrough for me!

Anyways, could you give your ideas on the following...

1. Chicken & Broccoli Bake with or without pasta.... Usually I think its made with breadcrumbs but I was thinking of using mashed potato and I dont know how to make the sauce. Could I just use a couple cans of Campbells chicken and mushroom sauce and then I'd like maybe garlic, onions and mushrooms mixed in. What do you think?

2. I'd like to try make Chicken & Ham Vol au vents. I know how to make the pastry but again can I use the cans Campbells chicken and mushroom soup to make the sauce?

3. Garlic/cheese potatoes.. Ive heard about people putting potatoes in a oven dish and then put in garlic and cheese over top but do I just use garlic butter to do this and how long to I put in oven for? Oh and do I boil the potatoes first? - Sorry I know I sound stupid but I really have no clue.

4. Desserts.. I remember my old school teacher made us her own recipe ofher mars bar cake, I remember it being almost like a rice crispie cake but smeared with mars bar over the top but Im sure there must have been a bit more involved. Has anyone heard or tried to make this cake?

Just one last thing now... I want to make bread & butter pudding for the first time but I dont like raisins or sultana's but I heard that you can make it with bananas and strawberries with custard instead, can you tell me how exactly you make this?

I'd really appreciate any feedback at all.

Thanks a mil : -)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Bless your enthusiasm, you sound so excited! Cooking is fabulous, it's a great way to blow off steam and it's my favourite thing to do when I get home from work after a tough day.

To answer your questions:
    1. Chicken & Broccoli Bake with or without pasta.... Usually I think its made with breadcrumbs but I was thinking of using mashed potato and I dont know how to make the sauce. Could I just use a couple cans of Campbells chicken and mushroom sauce and then I'd like maybe garlic, onions and mushrooms mixed in. What do you think?

When I first starting cooking I did this a lot too. Don't feel bad using soups as the bases for your sauces - you're only starting out and you'll find in the future that your pallette will develop and you'll actually look forward to making them from scratch. But for now yes - have fun playing with the different types - I like leek and potato too for pasta bakes.
    2. I'd like to try make Chicken & Ham Vol au vents. I know how to make the pastry but again can I use the cans Campbells chicken and mushroom soup to make the sauce?

Yep, no problem at all.
    3. Garlic/cheese potatoes.. Ive heard about people putting potatoes in a oven dish and then put in garlic and cheese over top but do I just use garlic butter to do this and how long to I put in oven for? Oh and do I boil the potatoes first? - Sorry I know I sound stupid but I really have no clue.

You're probably better off cooking the potatoes first or else they'll take forever in the oven. Cut into thickish slices and cook them on the hob in simmering water until tender (but not falling apart). Meanwhile get another saucepan and put in milk, garlic (that you've crushed), cheese, cream if you like and a little bit of flour. Mix the flour in well and it'll get a bit thicker. When the potatoes are done layer them in an oven proof dish, and every layer pour over some of the sauce. When you're finished layering, put a sprinkling of cheese over the top, cover the dish with foil and then bake for about 30 mins. Take the foil off for the last 10 mins.
    4. Desserts.. I remember my old school teacher made us her own recipe ofher mars bar cake, I remember it being almost like a rice crispie cake but smeared with mars bar over the top but Im sure there must have been a bit more involved. Has anyone heard or tried to make this cake?

Unreal cake. I had it from Donnybrook fair and it's just glorious. Very easy - melt some mars bars, add small bit of milk or cream, pour over ricecrispies, mix up, and spread them out in a tin. Then when it's cooled a bit, make some more chocolate sauce and pour over the top. Chill. Serve! (Maybe google this though in case I have it wrong)
    Just one last thing now... I want to make bread & butter pudding for the first time but I dont like raisins or sultana's but I heard that you can make it with bananas and strawberries with custard instead, can you tell me how exactly you make this?

Haven't a clue! I'm not a major dessert person, but google is your friend. Lots and lots of yummy recipes out there. I like bbcgoodfood.com and google 'food blog' too as there are fabulous blogs out there with great recipes and photos. Check out the stickies here too to see some food sites.

Basically just have fun. If it tastes like shíte you've learned something and you can move on, and tweak as necessary! You'll find that over a year or so of constantly cooking you'll end up with about 20 recipes that you'll make over and over again, and then use say the weekends for experimenting.

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DaniB

Wow Kimia thanks so much for your reply. Major help!! Really appreciate it. Especially the Mars Bar cake, Im going to try this tonight!

Ha your right about me being so excited though, I got up at 8am Saturday morning just to cook Fish Pie for the first time and it turned out so well, I was so proud of myself. I kept going on about it for ages! My boyfriend thinks im nuts ha.

Thanks again!! x

Advertisement