Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best sleeping system

• 14-06-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I was on a recent exercise with the R.D.F and we staying out on the ground for 24hours. I was issued with a sleeping bag which was rather large and took up most of the space in my burgin. It was a great sleeping bag but im wondering if anyone knows of a smaller style bag that you can purchase. A good quality one that is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Snug pack sleeping bags are compact,but an officer said the last time he had it out on the ground he was freezing and dident sleep a wink. Depends what time of the year I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

You can get real compact ones but they're basically just nylon sheets with very little filler material, you would definetly need a roll mat or there are also very thin mats that you can inflate a small bit to stop you losing heat through the ground. Cant remember what they're called though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Snug pack sleeping bags are compact,but an officer said the last time he had it out on the ground he was freezing and dident sleep a wink. Depends what time of the year I suppose.

Well, Snugpak make about 40 different sleeping bags, and that's just in their military green range, so he may have been using too light a bag.

I've got a Snugpak Elite 3 that I bought about five years ago. It says it's good to -2/-7, and, from experience, it's fine for 3 seasons in Ireland. It weighs about 1.7Kg, and packs up real small. The downside was the price, over €100 if I remember correctly. Not cheap if you're only going to use it for the RDF.

I also have a tiny Highlander 1 or 2 season bag I picked up for €25 or €30, that's perfect for summer. It's well under a kilo and packs down into a tiny stuff sack.

Anyway, for the army, whatever bag you get, make sure it's synthetic fill and not down. Synthetic stays warm when wet, while down doesn't. Also, the usual, get it green or black, and look at the zip to make sure it's got a little bit of webbing either side of the track to avoid snagging when the sarge decides the Imaalistanis are attacking at 2am and you need to bug out. Don't bother with anything that doesn't have a hood or stuff sack.

After that, it's all about how much you want to spend, and weight versus warmth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Tails142 wrote: »
    You can get real compact ones but they're basically just nylon sheets with very little filler material, you would definetly need a roll mat or there are also very thin mats that you can inflate a small bit to stop you losing heat through the ground. Cant remember what they're called though.

The most common brand of inflatable kipmat is Thermarest, but you can get cheaper no-name brand ones. Either way,you definately need a rollmat of some kind. All sleeping bags provide warm by trapping air in the loft, which is the space between the filling. The greater the loft, the warmer the bag. Your weight on the sleeping bag compresses the loft to nil, and it provides near zero insulation. All the warmth under you is provided by the rollmat, as well as keeping you off the damp ground, and it's always ****ing damp in a shell scrape.

Advertisement