Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon Pregnant help

Options
  • 14-06-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

My friend has a bichon and it was mated. Ten days later it was knocked down by a car, driver didn't stop. She didn't know that the dog got out.
    Anyhow the dog fractured her pelvis in 7 places, vet bill one thousand. She told the first vet that she might be pregnant, vet said she wasn't. Brought the dog to Dublin for operation that vet also said she wasn't pregnant. She had her op and was getting on well now, one month later. She is beginning to walk on all for legs now for small amounts of time.
    My friend phoned me one day to say the dogs teats were getting big, so I went up to see her. It was obvious the bitch was heavily pregnant.
    Now she cannot give birth naturally because of the fractures, so its a c section. The pups are due on the 27Th, the c section will be performed on the 25Th.
    My friend is very upset, she is afraid of what might happen. I have hand fed pups before so that will be a help. I need advice on what the mother of the pups will be like after op. Should I put the pups on the teat even if mother is still out of it etc.
    I have loads of questions of which you will know the answers. So start posting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The bitch may not be pregnant, she could be having a phantom pregnancy, has she had a scan at the vets?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

yes def pregnant, 6 pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

your vet should give advice after the c section. They should really keep her in the practice for a few hours afterwards to make sure shes bonding with the pups, otherwise theyll have to be hand reared. You slowly introduce the pups to her, SLOWLY, and if you notice her showing any aggression at all take them away. I would probably get some puppy milk supplement from your vets too just in case the mother ends up rejecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Thanks I already have milk supplement and bottles. I will introduce them to her slowly as you say (didn't know that). Vet will give her injection to bring the milk on. I heard that puppies from a c section don't thrive as well. Is this true ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Thanks I already have milk supplement and bottles. I will introduce them to her slowly as you say (didn't know that). Vet will give her injection to bring the milk on. I heard that puppies from a c section don't thrive as well. Is this true ?

Yeah you wanna introduce them slowly, and let the mother smell them and lick them. If she shows any aggression at all take them away and try later. After the surgery as soon as she wakes up the vet should introduce them (this is usually the norm). Its not necesseraly true about pups from c sections not thriving. they're usually in the same amount of danger as a pup with a normal birth! that ive seen anyway! They'll have to be fed every 2 hours, and make sure you weight them every 2/3 days to make sure theyre putting on weight!

• Advertisement
Advertisement