Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish HL Paper 1

• 14-06-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I don't think there's a thread for this yet. Delete me if I'm wrong!

Well that went badly...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was really dissapointed with the essay choices. Reading comps were difficult to understand.

Tapework was nice though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Yeah the reading comprehensions were mad hard! And my essay was a senseless rant! Did the debate about the decline of Gaeltachts, got a bit carried away :P Overall went really badly. I was counting on it for an A1.. But anyway, must soldier on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I didn't like it at all, found the comprehensions were tougher than last year and even when I understood 'em, they were difficult to change much. Essay was a bit of a disaster, I went for the alt nuachtáin and rambled on about going to Haiti in the aftermath of the crith talún in the Irish of a third class student...

Needed a B1, but after that and my oral, highly doubt it'll happen. My Irish has actually improved so much this year, I got a B3 last year and honestly feel as if the quality of my Irish has increased 100%, but I don't think that the paper allowed me to showcase that. Ah well. I wonder if paper two will be nice or nasty. Honestly can't wait until this is over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 uuhm.

Awful awful awful!!
    I hated the essay titles, i did the very last one, aisling d'Eirinn... rambled on and on with no real purpose. =/

Thought Cuid A in the listening was kinda hard too! Cuid B was sound though.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

I was really dissapointed with the essay choices

Really? I thought they were perfect - if you had anything at all prepared on politicians , problems of the youth , the EU , you were sorted!

For the one about "daone ata i mbeal an phobail" you actually could have wrote about anything - young people , priests & the Church , polictians etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

i understood the comprehensions but had sooo much trouble trying to rephrase the answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Thread reopened by request, since the other thread was for both HL asnd OL was some bit confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

PARARORY wrote: »
    For the one about "daone ata i mbeal an phobail" you actually could have wrote about anything - young people , priests & the Church , polictians etc...
    are you sure? i was told that daoine i mbeal on pobal was the celebs? i rote about criminals and teenagers??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

My essay was alright, the comprehensions were hard though. They're always hard, so I just take the answers straight from the text! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I mbéal an phobail means something that is topical i.e everyone is talking about it at the moment.

So all of you are correct! Celebs/ Politicians/ Young People/ Criminals/Priests/ Teachers......whoever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

aisling is a dream isn't it??? i wrote basically a fadhbanna sosilata essay out but at the end of every paragraph i said something along the lines of in 10 years time i am hopeful that these problems will be gone and it will be so much better in ireland..

i only learn fadhbanna soisilta so i couldn't do anything else... the first leamhthuiscint was a joke taking about that "camino".. i spent more time trying to figure out what i camino was to settle my own mind because it was getting to me.. i could understand he was talking about a pilgrimage but i didn't realise that the camino was the pilgrimage... god bless you google..

Ted Kennedy one was pretty fair...

tape was grand too... overall happy enough should get a C so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Would I get away with having done my problems with the youth essay in part c) of the aiste section: the importance of good news? I basically said that in my life as a young person there's so much bad news and there should be more good news? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    aisling is a dream isn't it??? i wrote basically a fadhbanna sosilata essay out but at the end of every paragraph i said something along the lines of in 10 years time i am hopeful that these problems will be gone and it will be so much better in ireland..

i only learn fadhbanna soisilta so i couldn't do anything else... the first leamhthuiscint was a joke taking about that "camino".. i spent more time trying to figure out what i camino was to settle my own mind because it was getting to me.. i could understand he was talking about a pilgrimage but i didn't realise that the camino was the pilgrimage... god bless you google..

Ted Kennedy one was pretty fair...

tape was grand too... overall happy enough should get a C so

Aisling is a dream. It sounds a bit unfair that they threw in a foreign word. It seems you're not the only one who was confused about this.
    Would I get away with having done my problems with the youth essay in part c) of the aiste section: the importance of good news? I basically said that in my life as a young person there's so much bad news and there should be more good news? :/

THat sounds like a really good angle to take.

I'm an Irish teacher by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

are you sure? i was told that daoine i mbeal on pobal was the celebs? i rote about criminals and teenagers??

The title literally meant people that are in the mouths of the public , ie they are being talked out... so it doesnt matter at all who you wrote about (within reason of course ) some of my friends did celebs , singers , but they found it hard to get a full essay on it so they just went back to talking about politicians etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

I had a deadly war between God and the Devil in my Sceal. Written in very poor irish though. Misunderstood the Ted Kennedy one completely. Thought they were praising him

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

That's what I did! Comps were nasty enough especially the first one!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Feel quite indifferent after it, dont really know how it was.
    I did the alt on daoine oga which was alright, the first comp was hard then the one about Ted was grand. Tape was fine.
    Maths was lovely though!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

dolliemix wrote: »

Thanks, feel better now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

dolliemix wrote: »
    Aisling is a dream. It sounds a bit unfair that they threw in a foreign word. It seems you're not the only one who was confused about this.

I don't think "aisling" is a foreign word at all Dolliemix... The HL poem "Uirchill an Chreagáin is an "aisling politiúil".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I don't think "aisling" is a foreign word at all Dolliemix... The HL poem "Uirchill an Chreagáin is an "aisling politiúil".

I think she was referring to the numerous references to the 'camino' the in the reading comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I think she was referring to the numerous references to the 'camino' the in the reading comprehension.

My aplologies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Quite bad, wrote a 3 page essay on the speech, started saying how I wanted no violence, drug problems, or problems with the youth in 10 years. Looks like it was written by someone who lived under a rock for the past 20 years or something.

it was just that camino had such a central role in the story and altough I knew what was going on... just the inclusion of that word had me wondering whether a camino was like the spanish for pilgrimage or whether it was a book or whether it was something completely different...

question 4 asked for 2 problems on the camino or something similar... then he talked about french people giving him verbal abuse or something.. a Spanish barman who threw him out or something.. but then he was talking about reading something about some lad in Australia who helped drug addicts.... then i was unsure whether a camino was a book or a route or what it meant at all...

wikipedia has told me since that it's a set of routes for a pilgrimage to some catherdral in spain..

usually they translate or give an alternate meaning for hard irish words.. you'd think that they'd have at least told us what the spanish words at least this year in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

The speech was a bit shneaky, I really hope people didn't just see "grad night speech" and dive in without reading the question properly. I very nearly did.

I know it's HL so people shouldn't make those kinda stupid mistakes but in the heat of the moment...

I had a nice daoine óga essay prepared, with aspects of recession, unemployment, alchohol and drugs, and even politics. I did the good news essay and made a silly attempt at trying to fit it in, by saying in the past this is how things were, but now it's good news that they are improving (and then I wrote something about NAMA as if it solved the recession).

It was quite woeful :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

question 4 asked for 2 problems on the camino or something similar... then he talked about french people giving him verbal abuse or something.. a Spanish barman who threw him out or something.. but then he was talking about reading something about some lad in Australia who helped drug addicts....
    It was asking for two examples of the bad side of human nature that the author noticed on the 'camino'
    And yeah there were french people who didnt 'speak a civil word' with him during the midday meal when he was in larrasoana. And a bartentender who wouldnt serve the author so he gave out to him in Spanish
    Though that guy from australia isnt one of the answers..he spends his life helping drug addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

I did the exact same thing as that but threw in a few other topics off the top of my head to make it less obvious that fadhbanna sosialta was all I knew:D

student01 wrote: »
    It was asking for two examples of the bad side of human nature that the author noticed on the 'camino'
    And yeah there were french people who didnt 'speak a civil word' with him during the midday meal when he was in larrasoana. And a bartentender who wouldnt serve the author so he gave out to him in Spanish
    Though that guy from australia isnt one of the answers..he spends his life helping drug addicts.

i got the 2 right answers but the other australian lad just seemed to be stuck in there to confuse... nearly got me and i'll put that straight down to not knowing what a camino was..

why couldn't they have just explained a camino... in fairness... like u spent the entire exam and tape wondering what a camino was before finally getting home to google it.. just to put my mind at easee

• Advertisement

Rich1691 wrote: »
    I did the exact same thing as that but threw in a few other topics off the top of my head to make it less obvious that fadhbanna sosialta was all I knew:D

i stuck a bit in about the recession and emigration and stuff too.. not a whole lot but it was that or answer the leamhthuiscints and get up and leave lol

really should have learned more than half the fadhbanna soisilta essay off haha...

Advertisement