Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Lucan to Blanch

• 14-06-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Whats the best route to cycle to work from Lucan to Blanch

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Depends how comfortable you are with hills and winding back roads with a bit of traffic on them. Some of the roads up off Lower Road are quite steep. Through Laraghcon might be the easiest in that respect. You could go Tinker's Hill or even Rugged Lane, but they're much steeper climbs.

Also, whereabouts in Blanch?

One suggestion is this. You can get some traffic on the winding sections, particularly between C and D on that map, but if you hold your line it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Thanks for your reply...

I am kind of beginner in this..(i.e. commuting to work)

Actually it my destination is BallyCoolin Rd...

Today I took the bus route 239 to work ...it is almost the same trip as shown in that map (This)
    Not bad...but no cycle lane...
    Any other route advice?
    Any one doing this trip?
    Any bike recommendations for this kind of trip? kinf od limitied budget but I will try to get it through bike to work schema..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lucan Westmanstown Clonsilla Coolmine Ballycoolin.
    The road to Westmanstown has a small rise and is busy.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Lucan Westmanstown Clonsilla Coolmine Ballycoolin.
    The road to Westmanstown has a small rise and is busy.

Thanks for your reply...

Are you commuting to Ballycoolin? any idea how long this trip would take?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

mmalaka wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply...

Are you commuting to Ballycoolin? any idea how long this trip would take?

No. But I know the road well.
    Its 10k so should take you about 30mins once you get into it.

The road around Westmanstown Leisure Centre and onto Clonsilla is busy and twists and turns.
    But in general cars don't go that fast on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

The route the bus goes is probably the safest if you are new to cycling to work. It is longer than other routes though. Lower road up rugged lane ('gentlest' gradient of all the hills) right and immediate left to take you to clonsilla road is probably the quickest. Rugged lane can be busy at peak times and its narrow and windy so not for the faint hearted.

Drop into Stagg cycles on Lucan main st. they'll sort you out with a suitable bike on the scheme. After sales service is very good.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

How easily can you access the Royal Canal towpath? It's a grand totally traffic free route to (close) Blanchardstown. Might affect your choice of bike though. I've ridden that way from Leixlip but not sure how close to Lucan it runs.

Greyspoke wrote: »
    How easily can you access the Royal Canal towpath? It's a grand totally traffic free route to (close) Blanchardstown. Might affect your choice of bike though. I've ridden that way from Leixlip but not sure how close to Lucan it runs.

Do you have a map link for your route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Sorry I can't do complicated things like map links(!!) other than to say if you look at a real map (!) - the latest Dublin road atlas for instance, then you'll see the canal easily enough and basically you can join it at any road crossing. The section between Leixlip (Louisa Bridge Train Station) and Coolmine is largely a grassy track - very pleasant and quiet apart from a few anglers and dog walkers.

• Advertisement

So today I went to the local bike shop and he recommended the 7.3FX bike for me...for 575.99 Euro...is that a good bike/price?

Advertisement