Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the next Taoiseach be a Mayo Man?

• 14-06-2010 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Fine Gael seem to be shooting themselves in the Foot. George Lee and now Bruton, I mean in a week that should have been about Fianna Fail all the news seems to be about Fine Gael. Do you think we will have a Mayo Man will be Taoiseach? He is not very good a keeping order in his own party never mind the country (not that I think the current BIFO is doing any better)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

George Lee should have stayed, there's a finance spot available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

well he grew a pair today by sacking your man. he done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

did he? or was that just the image he was trying to put across?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Think Enda is shagged no matter what. Even if he wins the confidence motion, it will only be by a few votes and his leadership is still undermined. I'm afraid it is back to the east coast for a Fine Gael leader which is tragic really. It is time for him to pull plant now because he will face leadership challenges right up to the next general election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Its plain to see, they don't want a taoiseach from the west, they want to keep the power in the east:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well they can stick their capital power, fair fu*KS Enda. He has changing my opinion from the gutless quiff to the ballbreaking leader. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Yeah, i'm with you on this Yop.

Really came into the ring swinging. Never thought he had it in him. I think this will be the making of him.

I was never a big fan before, but now........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

As a FG man, or boy should I say. Whatever doubts I had about Enda have been wiped out. I didn't think Bruton would have been any better either way, but fecking hell, that was a serious performance today.

im so glad Enda won the school yard fight. so who are going to replace the turn coats on the front bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

cats.life wrote: »
    im so glad Enda won the school yard fight. so who are going to replace the turn coats on the front bench.

Even though I'm not a Fine Gaeler, I really admired the courage Enda showed over the past week. Bruton may be the cleverest boy when it comes to economics, but being a leader is a completely different ball game and he showed no leadership ability. He just sat back all week waiting for Enda to step aside and was played off the field by the cute Mayo fella :D

Up Mayo !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

alex73 wrote: »
    Fine Gael seem to be shooting themselves in the Foot. George Lee and now Bruton, I mean in a week that should have been about Fianna Fail all the news seems to be about Fine Gael. Do you think we will have a Mayo Man will be Taoiseach? He is not very good a keeping order in his own party never mind the country (not that I think the current BIFO is doing any better)

there has already been one. CJ haughey was born in mayo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    George Lee should have stayed, there's a finance spot available

the impatience of youth. not so easy change the world when face with reality.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Its plain to see, they don't want a taoiseach from the west, they want to keep the power in the east:mad:

we should boycott the Times in the west. they did their best to promote bruton.

enda needs a more bad boy image. we expect our politicans to be liars and corrupt.

he should go back on the late late and outshine that that fianna fail yuppy tubridy.

but enda wouldnt just give up on the hard work he put in to make fine gael wher it was to where it is to day just cos some twat decided he didnt like the way things were going with enda . i thought bruton was going to cry in one of the fotos i saw in the mail today even though they were shacking hands or was enda squeezen so hard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I thought the report on RTE 9 o clock news was gas.....supporters in Castlebar with the champagne celebration as if he was Taoiseach....ain't no General Election won yet. What with the imminent & forthcoming coup on Cowin in Fianna Fail & Gilmore riding high in the polls anything could happen.

If anything it takes from the other doom and gloom recession news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Isn't it great to see some of the Enda enemies within the party suddenly declaring that they would be ready and willing to take a front bench post if they were asked. Wouldn't touch some of them with a barge poll . . . Varadaker, Hayes, Coveney, Naughton especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

dec25532 wrote: »
    Isn't it great to see some of the Enda enemies within the party suddenly declaring that they would be ready and willing to take a front bench post if they were asked. Wouldn't touch some of them with a barge poll . . . Varadaker, Hayes, Coveney, Naughton especially.

Hayes was the main instigator in all of this, and for that reason I'd leave him out. As for Varadkar, he was a valuable asset and leaving all personalities aside, good for the party in general. As for the other two, plenty of good backbenchers there to replace their menial contributions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Naughton being from the West should have backed Enda, not going on a solo self-promoting run like this, his voters won't back him next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

I'm sure a Minister/Taoiseach in the west would be of benefit in influncing policy. But all this jingoistic Mayo Taoiseach clap trap will do is lose FG votes in the major urban areas and lessen any chance of a western Taoiseach in the next general election.

After the result on Thursday the TV and papers were full of coverage of all the Castlebar councilors shouting "victory for Mayo" and talking about bonfires "batin the dubs", acting like they'd won a GAA match. Every article and chat show since has used Mayo as a byword for gombeenism.

After 20 years progress and then the difficult experience of the latest recession and squandered boom, we seemed to be coming to our senses and starting to cop on as a nation. But seeing Enda surrounded by the usual cabal of old hacks, the young and intelligent of the party relegated to second division, and country vs pale jibes just make me think nothing has changed, may as well leave FF in at this rate.

This does nothing to help the needs of the county and in my opinion just alienates urban voters and strengthen the view of the Whest as poor-mouths looking for grants and handouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there has already been one. CJ haughey was born in mayo

But Haughey was a dickhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Patri wrote: »
    Ya but he was our Dickhead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Patri wrote: »

But he did help get us an airport at a time when Enda and his party were actively against it!!!!

It's funny the things you remember, but every year when I flight into Knock for the annual holidays with the family I'm always struck by Haughey's response when asked if he knew Fr. Horan: "I had lunch with him once and it cost me an airport", or words to that effect.....

Jim,
    Who will be arriving in Knock next week!

Advertisement