Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

spamidy spam spam!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stevenk wrote:
    this is the best thing i have ever heard of to combat spam!
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/1...ope_spam_blitz/

fix that link!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

yes fix it now or i'll slap you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/26/lycos_europe_spam_blitz/ ?

this was the first link to come up in when i searched for "spam" on the register so i think this is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hmmm... a legal DDoS attack. Nice work of some ex-hacker(reducing his criminal sentence), proberly ;)

ain't you just fantastic. clap clap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Interesting idea.
    How long before the spam sites in question change their DNS to point somewhere else ?

I'd prefer to see some more attension been given to places like ORDB & spamhaus etc.
    It's a nice initiaive on Lycos's behalf to get hits & spread their name some more [the forgotten group], since Yahoo & Google took over, lycos seems to be the forgotten one - maybe this will help.

yeah they should have made it use ips and not use dns names
    point the dns back to lycos :D

Well ... Don't agree with the idea.

It's very script-kiddie way of dealing with it.

yeah well, hopefully it will start some controversy or maybe even some kind of lawsuit, and maybe then some law will be made to cut off spammers hands when they are caught, this seems to be the first thing in years that doesnt try to ignore the spam problem, instead it tries to kick it in the nuts...

• Advertisement

From ZDNet News :

Head of international spam fighting organisation Spamhaus Steve Linford said that by attacking spammer bandwidth, Lycos could inevitably be attacking innocent users' bandwidth too.

But Pollmann sidestepped the question of doing this: "We want to hit targeted bandwidth. We are selecting spammers form blacklists. We verify every address. Professional spammers run on very dedicated media."

Finnish antivirus firm F-Secure yesterday warned users not to participate in Lycos' campaign because it might involve "possible legal problems".

Taken from BBC News:

"Two of the sites being bombarded by data have been completely knocked offline. One other site has been responding to requests only intermittently as it struggles to cope with the traffic the screensaver is pointing its way."

So, they have in fact DDOS'd the sites, things may get interesting now :)

spammers should have their hands cut off when caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

SeanOS wrote:
    Taken from BBC News:

"Two of the sites being bombarded by data have been completely knocked offline. One other site has been responding to requests only intermittently as it struggles to cope with the traffic the screensaver is pointing its way."

So, they have in fact DDOS'd the sites, things may get interesting now :)
    I'm impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

This thread can be closed I believe heh,
    Lycos have taken down the screensaver
    Spam started going around about this lycos screensaver, with a link to the screensaver, which ofc was a virus, so lycos took it down and stopped the campaign heh.

duely noted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement