Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish ''failers''

• 14-06-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

o/

A few people out of my school aren't going in for paper 2. They don't really know anything and neither do I for that matter.

I did the Aural,Oral,Paper 1. And I'm knackered today. So really considering not going in for paper 2.

I'm not counting Irish in my points. And If I do go in i'll know next to nothing. I left after 30mins for paper 1 and no doubt it'll be less for paper 2.

Anyelse considering not doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Princess3

I would love to but i'm going in anyway to try pick up a few extra points, i haven't a clue about some things that come up on paper 2, i hate higher level, i can never learn the stair na gaeilge :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Happened lots last year in my old school...10-12 people ended up not showing up. I think three of them failed, despite previously being assured of their pass.

I'll be honest; I think you should do in, even if just for half an hour to forty minutes, and give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

gonna go in for the 30 mins, get a few percent and leave, might as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I just went in for the thirty minutes last year, did the job got my pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Go in, you could pick up 2% which could be the difference of a fail or D3 or even a D1 and C3 etc! Just go in, write what you know even if it looks like crap, give it a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I'm going to go in purely because if by some freak mishap I end up failing Irish I won't regret not going in because I was too lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Sure just go in, throw something down and come out again. At least it will get you up early and you might get some study done for your next exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

you could write a bunch of nathanna, it would provide them with a few laughs at least:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I would never skip it. Failing irish is too big of a risk not too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If you don't attempt it, you will get zero marks for that section.

No matter how poorly you attempt it, you have to do better than that! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

its 18% overall, which isnt alot, but it is the difference between a C and a B, a B and an A... im not leaving it, i learned nothing on cearbhach for the mocks, and i had to do it, i got nearly full marks in it!! its not quality its just knowing the story thats itm give it a shot!!

just think of the day you get the results and when you frame, you dont want a big fat D on the wall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Definitely go in, they give you marks for absolutely anything that you put down! In my mock I hadn't even looked at paper 2 because I was concentrating on paper 1, I literally, no exaggeration, wrote one sentence for most of my answers, ie "The theme of this poem is love," and I got 50% in that paper which actually makes a difference. Most people do badly in paper two so they will literally mark you for anything! So go in and squeeze out any little bit that you can, and don't waste your opportunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

LadyGaga! wrote: »
    Go in, you could pick up 2% which could be the difference of a fail or D3 or even a D1 and C3 etc! Just go in, write what you know even if it looks like crap, give it a shot!

Exactly!!
    You even paid to do these exams so you might as well sit them all, any chance of not repeating next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Right I shall go in! Will do about an hour tonight after the game, then bed get up early and do more.

For irish: Cearrabach mac caba /faoisabh a yo sibh? No idea how to spell it:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'm not counting irish, but I'm still going in to get even a few percent.. Dont intend on staying too long, hah :)

I'd prefer a B or C compared to a D :p

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

If you left Paper 1 after 30 minutes, you might well have failed it. I think you really should give Paper 2 a lash, even if only to get you over the pass line. If you don't, there's a disproportionately high chance you will regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'm pretty sure I've already failed Irirsh so badly, the around 2% I will pick up on Paper 2 won't help at all, I'm still gonna go in, but I already failed :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You'll get some marks from paper two even if you write a load of nonsense: all I wrote for a question on the character of the Puca last year was "I like him, he likes dogs" in the most basis Irish, and I got a couple of marks for it! You may as well go in lads, you won't regret it sitting it, but if you don't and you fail, you'll always wonder if a few marks in that paper could have made the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toto14

im gona go in...literally write a sentence or two if im able and try my best...i know barely anything but im planning like just an hour 2nite of study and i should be ok....i know i wont fail if i dont go in but a C is better than a D and so on, so its worth giving it a lash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭timsnewbridge

the likelyhood is you will write one or two lines down like, it may only get you **** all marks but still marks are marks, go in for half an hour then go home for some more sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I got 79/110 in my mocks. Don't know how I managed it. Sure for the poems you got them right infront of you...marks throw at you there!

The stories are a bit cnut alright but if you describe them with basic enough Irish you'll get a good few marks, it all adds up in the end. ;)

5% could up you from D to C from C to be from B to A like someone has already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Home! Went in, didn't understand much, but what more then a few other people. say I got a few marks here and there.

2 of my mates left and didn't write anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Lads, I know I'm too late saying this but I'm throwing this thought out anyway.

I graduated from college 5 years ago and have worked in construction every since. Loads of people have been laid off. I know several - engineers, foremen - who are now looking at their qualifications and wondering what else they can do. I know one in particular, who, having earned about 60k a year for the last 6 years, is now going back to do his Honours LC Irish so he can do teaching, and get another job. And many others - accountants/business people/economists/HR etc doing the same.
    I said this on another thread....it's not about what you're counting in your points. It's about being able to turn around in 10 years time, when you decide you're not mad about what you're doing and might like a change of career or you'd like more free time and flexibility in your job, and being able to chose to do something else, without having to go through the LC rigmarole again at the age of 30, with kids (or whatever!). That may not mean Hons Irish, but it might mean getting the best grade you can at pass, or pass maths or whatever. Basically, giving yourself the best chance possible at a paper. You can't get points if you don't hand anything in.

Like I said I know it's a bit late, but just something to think about. Keep as many options open to yourself as possible.

Advertisement