Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

type R integra DC2

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Onkle wrote: »
    Did his username and the fact it's on adverts give it away?

Didn't cop that no :o

He posted it in modded motors last week :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Lovely car but €1500+vat to fix that box problem and needs a belt and service at €700 which brings it to approx €4300
    Plus there's a part of the front bumper missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Bonito wrote: »
    Plus there's a part of the front bumper missing.

Don't get me wrong it's a lovely car, just Graham was wondering why it was priced so cheap

Don't get me wrong it's a lovely car, just Graham was wondering why it was priced so cheap
    I'd buy it if it wasn't an auto.

Bonito wrote: »
    I'd buy it if it wasn't an auto.

Autos are underrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

The OP needs it to be an auto.

cantdecide put the picture up on the "Post a picture of your modified car" thread there reasontly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    The OP needs it to be an auto.

cantdecide put the picture up on the "Post a picture of your modified car" thread there reasontly.

It is an auto, and we established that already :pac:

Autos are underrated
    I should really test drive an auto. I've only ever driven manuals.

It is an auto, and we established that already

I established it first :D Thats why I mentioned in the post that drew attention to it ;)
    B00MSTICK wrote:
    There's an auto 2 litre twin-turbo Legacy on adverts that might suit you

http://www.adverts.ie/238588/cars/legacy-b4-blitzen/

Seems like good value too, you may need the 'box fixed though.

Bonito just said he'd buy it if it was manual and I was just pointing out that it has to be an auto box for the OP so I might be a good option for him :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Autos are underrated

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

SV wrote: »
    :mad:
    Why the angry face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

autos are for women afraid of gears or for big old man cruisers like mercs.

anything other than that is a waste.

buy an auto glanza v.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    autos are for women afraid of gears or for big old man cruisers like mercs.

anything other than that is a waste.

buy an auto glanza v.
    I drove my Dad's 320d auto and it's a super car, I drove a Manual one once too and didn't enjoy it as much...maybe it's the novelty of the auto but it is a cracking car

A Glanza V auto...didn't know they existed! Are they as bad as the Manuals? :D

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Why the angry face?

if anything they're overrated!

people are in love with autos lately.

if anything they're overrated!

people are in love with autos lately.

Have you had a good drive in a decent one? I was pleasantly surprised

• Advertisement

last one I drove was an auto focus and I wanted to kill myself in it.
    2.0 diesel, not sure of the horsepower but it felt practically dead. horrible driving experience.

If I can get a drive of a golf gti with a dsg box or similar I might change my mind but I really doubt it..I just hate not doing the whole clutch and gear change myself.

last one I drove was an auto focus and I wanted to kill myself in it.
    2.0 diesel, not sure of the horsepower but it felt practically dead. horrible driving experience.

If I can get a drive of a golf gti with a dsg box or similar I might change my mind but I really doubt it..I just hate not doing the whole clutch and gear change myself.

So that's a 'no' then :p

I'm sure I'd hate autos too if all I'd tried was a focus

I'd probably be the same, the BMW is brill

I've drove a load of different autos and everyone harps on about this DSG being brilliant and all that.
    it's not the slow gear changes I don't like(which seems to be the only advantage of DSG)..it's the experience of driving something that actually changes the gears for you that I hate( whether you're the one picking them at the time)
    DSG is just..tiptronic that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ive driven an automatic Supra. The car was savage but the auto left this feeling that it was lacking something, like it was a really powerful go-kart or something.

I can see the benifit of autos and why people like them, I drove an auto rental car in the States a few years back and once I got used to it it was grand, but if Im going to spend money on a powerful car I want it to have a manual gearbox. I suppose thats just my preference tho; YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Christ OP, you're a bit all over the place.
    First you've blown 4k on pretty pointless modifications which you don't even understand.
    Now you want to go completely against convention and modify a DC2 typeR to be auto.
    DC2 typeRs are nice cars but there's no way they're worth all that hassle.
    Either make do with an auto non-typeR Integra or go for something else.
    There are plenty of auto FTOs out there for under 2k.
    They're only 2.0L and give you 200BHP.
    Plenty of other decent autos out there too.

Unfortunately the autobox in the FTO will sap about 20% of the power, theres a few S/C builds ongoing though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

draffodx wrote: »
    With enough time, effort and money it would be possible but I just dont see a DC2 Type R taking well to an auto box seeing as it was never designed to take one.
    I've read on the American forums where guys have fitted autoboxes into Type R's(from GSR donor cars, SIR in the JDM) but its not that straightforward and you lose the limited slip diff too AFAIR, which takes away from the cars handling which is its reason to live. It also knocks a fair chunk out of the power. Plus the auto changes before the hi revving sweet spot. You could fiddle about to get that coming in earlier, or somehow force the autobox to wait before changeing but...

Some autos are nice cars to drive. The aforementioned Beemers etc, but of all the cars to put an auto box into a Type R of any description would not be one of them. They're a schizo two engined car by nature. Low in torque, relying on engine speed for the fun bits. Trundle around at low revs, mad crazy bastid at high. Not suited to auto. It's a manual type car.

I'd agree with Armin_Tamzarian and others the auto FTO's would be the way to go if you want to go Japanese. [/interloper]

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs is spot on with everything he said. Auto type r is a bad idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Wibbs is spot on with everything he said. Auto type r is a bad idea

+1000000000000000

oh and just re: the power of the levin and all that..
    have a read of this
    particularly post 3 :P

sorry, couldn't let it lie you saying it might have 220..lol
    btw, those Auto FTOs are brutally slow

btw, those Auto FTOs are brutally slow

No they're not.
    I owned a GPX (MIVEC V6) and it was an absolute rocket.

No they're not.
    I owned a GPX (MIVEC V6) and it was an absolute rocket.

I've just been driving a manual gpx and it'd be murdered by my clio(which we'll see soon enough otto ;):P (and my clio is NOT fast))
    the autos are only going to be slower

I've never seen a slower 100-120 km/h
    like a train at high speeds though.

I've just been driving a manual gpx and it'd be murdered by my clio(which we'll see soon enough otto ;) (and my clio is NOT fast))

I've never seen a slower 100-120 km/h
    like a train at high speeds though.

Sounds like there's something wrong with it TBH.
    You shoud pop over to fto-ireland.com and tell them that you think you're Clio is faster than a GPX.
    They'd just love to hear about it:rolleyes:

Sounds like there's something wrong with it TBH.
    You shoud pop over to fto-ireland.com and tell them that you think you're Clio is faster than a GPX.
    They'd just love to hear about it:rolleyes:

I know it's faster.

lol, not gonna join a site just to wind them up but I'd gladly prove it any time.(that is assuming nothing is wrong with this particular FTO)

edit: anyway, if an auto isn't suitable for an ITR and it's a 'manual type car' then what's the point of one in an FTO GPX? they're both high revving cars that don't do well at low revs?

• Advertisement

edit: anyway, if an auto isn't suitable for an ITR and it's a 'manual type car' then what's the point of one in an FTO GPX? they're both high revving cars that don't do well at low revs?

There's a lot of nonsense talked about auto boxes in such cars TBH.
    The auto box in the FTO is excellent.
    If you floor it they go mental, they drop the gear as low as possible and try to keep the car's revs above the MIVEC limit.
    The gearbox also has some clever electronics that learn you're driving style, think it's called INVECS or the like.

Out of curiosity, what spec is your Clio?

There's a lot of nonsense talked about auto boxes in such cars TBH.
    The auto box in the FTO is excellent.
    If you floor it they go mental, they drop the gear as low as possible and try to keep the car's revs above the MIVEC limit.
    The gearbox also has some clever electronics that learn you're driving style, think it's called INVECS or the like.

Out of curiosity, what spec is your Clio?

Then it might be very different as an auto, Would be interesting to see alright.
    surely if the ITR had a box like that then it'd be suitable as well?

Over 180hp and 150ft/lbs (roughly, since it was dyno'd last)
    1050kg(without me :p)

T
    surely if the ITR had a box like that then it'd be suitable as well?

Exactly.

The mivec auto was made by Mitsubishi and obviously designed with high revs in mind, the dc2 wasn't!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The mivec auto was made by Mitsubishi and obviously designed with high revs in mind, the dc2 wasn't!
    Precisely. If Honda had originally designed an autobox for a DC2 R then somewhat fine. It would still be a compromise compared to the manual, especially given the age of the design. The problem is from the OP's perspective is they didnt. The autobox from an american market GSR would be the best bet if you were going to do it. AFAIR they have different ratios to the JDM ones.

Performance losses are going to be noticeable. Straight line from standing start maybe not so much other than the transmission losses inherent in the design, but in the twisty bits you're going to really see it.

Lets be honest, the DC2 R is not that different to the 1.8SiR on paper. Power wise there's what, an extra 10 odd brake? In everyday driving the SiR even has a little more torque low down(Ive owned both). The diffs are pretty subtle on paper. On the road there is a pretty big difference when you're pressing on especially in the twisty bits. That's down to the balance of the overall package. The lower weight, the tweaked suspension, the gear ratios, the limo, that little bit extra tweaked from the engine. Throwing an autobox into that is going to rob the car of a lot of that balance IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 audiA41990

jesus theres alot of comments about this ...........

just to let ye no that a jeep rran into me and wrote off my car so if ye no any one selling an auto let me no pref jap :(:mad:

audiA41990 wrote: »
    jesus theres alot of comments about this ...........

just to let ye no that a jeep rran into me and wrote off my car so if ye no any one selling an auto let me no pref jap :(:mad:

Seriously mate, if you can get insured on one then go over to England and get an FTO.
    You can pick up a GPX for just over 1000STG.
    Loads on eBay usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 audiA41990

ya deadly serious i liked it too i dynoed it the day b4 the accedent and it was 192bhp wasnt happy but after the accedent i was pissed (still am) anyway i dnt no not a big fan of fto's anythin else

Advertisement