Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to best source unlicensed medicine?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

I got a prescription for un licensed medicine and it will have to be sourced from abroad. Is there any easy way of doing this, or do I just walk into any pharmacy and ask them to order it for me? It was suggested to me that I should try Boots as the bigger pharmacies might have more experience in obtaining non licensed medicines?

I contacted the producing company (Canada) and they advised that they could send it directly to me, but that it would more than likely be held up at the border. The only dispensing pharmacy in the UK advised that the prescribing doctor would have to be registered with the general medical council of England, which I don't believe is the case.

So any experiences/advice would be most welcome!

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

Hello,

I recently had to do something very similar myself - I'm wondering if we are even speaking about the exact same medication!

I had my doctor write me a precription for tablets that are not available in Ireland, but a trusted brand is available in Canada. I contacted the company in question and was told I could order directly from them via their website or through a doctor registered with the GMC in the UK who could obtain it from particular pharmacies in the UK. A valid prescription was of course necessary in both cases.

I'm not sure how you would go about getting a pharmacy to order it for you, a good start probably would be Boots etc as suggested. I'm happy enough to order it myself rather than seek out a pharmacy to order for me as I need these tablets for life and its handier for me to order as I need them plus I may need varying strengths.

Anyways, I ordered from the manufacturers website and emailed them a copy of my prescription. The tablets arrived 6 days later. There were no hold ups with customs in Ireland though the company also enclosed a printed copy of my prescription in the package as well as a kind of declaration from the company plus contact details should there be any problems.

If you want to PM me the name of your medication I can let you know if we are talking about the same thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm curious as to why your doctor would write you a prescription for meds she knew you couldn't get here?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Because I can't tolerate the standard stuff and done a lot of research into what I believe will work for me, and thank god, this doctor was willing to work with me and we found a solution together. Unfortunately I just have to go elsewhere now to get it...

Ok, my sympathies, but this is a very dodgy area for us. I've checked with the Irish Medicines Board before and they say that you can't even import licensed medicine. Therefore, I'm going to lock the thread and suggest you talk to your doctor or pharmacist to source this. I don't like locking this thread, but unfortunately we have rules we need to work within.

cltt97 wrote: »
    The only dispensing pharmacy in the UK advised that the prescribing doctor would have to be registered with the general medical council of England, which I don't believe is the case.

sorry - just to state - if the med, is unlicensed here, then this is the case.

If any pharmacists have any information on how to help the OP, pm me and I'll add it to the thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement