Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car park closed - advice?!

Options
  • 14-06-2010 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

I moved into an apartment complex in January. I've had no major problems, until about 7-8 weeks ago, when a sign was put up saying that the underground car park would be closed for "approximately one week" for maintenance work, and that all cars would have to be removed for the week. We were only given a few days notice, but I wasn't too bothered as I had actually been planning on being away for the next three weeks anyways and I assumed it would be reopened by then.

Anyways, that was nearly two months ago and it's still shut. There is plenty of on-street parking in the area, but there's a lot of anti-social behaviour - several cars had the mirrors kicked off, and one was set on fire just a few nights ago. It's gotten to the stage where I've had to leave my car at my boyfriend's house in Sligo (I'm in Dublin), which is hugely inconvenient and is costing me money on train tickets etc.

I have e-mailed the management company a few times, and left several voicemails, but have gotten absolutely no reply.

I amn't prepared to continue living here if the problem isn't resolved, as I need my car and I would never have moved into an apartment that didn't have parking. The parking space is included in the rent that I'm paying, and it specifically states in my year-long lease agreement that the rent covers the apartment and the use of parking space no. 11.

Any suggestions of what I can/should do? I love my apartment, I don't want to move, but I need a parking space ... and if I did move out, could they keep the deposit since I haven't been here a year yet?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

That's a bit crap alright. I can't solve your issues but should you want to move out before the lease is up you have every right to do so, all you gotta do is give one months notice. Have done it myself :D Thay might try to pull a fast one but legally they can't keep your deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Contact your landlord and let him/her chase the management company for answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Paulw wrote: »
    Contact your landlord and let him/her chase the management company for answers.

The landlord is the management company! It's a construction company that built the apartments, they're the landlord and also the management company. Which makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sorry, have the landlord contact the directors of the management company or management agent.

I'm well aware that the landlord is part of the management company.

Paulw wrote: »
    Sorry, have the landlord contact the directors of the management company or management agent.

I'm well aware that the landlord is part of the management company.

But the thing is, I've been trying to contact them through every e-mail address and phone number that I have for them. No response whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,386 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there an office where you can speak to someone face to face?

In the current climate, have they gone bust? I would write to them and put them on notice that if it isn't sorted (within a week?), you are going to start a PRTB complaint.

Do you know what is wrong with the car park? Are there any comings and goings?

Time for a residents association?

Victor wrote: »
    Is there an office where you can speak to someone face to face?

In the current climate, have they gone bust? I would write to them and put them on notice that if it isn't sorted (within a week?), you are going to start a PRTB complaint.

Do you know what is wrong with the car park? Are there any comings and goings?

Time for a residents association?

I e-mailed the PRTB last night about it, actually, but haven't heard back yet.

And there was no activity whatsoever with the carpark the past few weeks ...

But today it reopened! :) I've no idea what the big delay was all about, but I'm just happy it's open again ... I can bring my car back up now after the weekend! :)

Still not too impressed with how the whole thing was handled though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But today it reopened! :) I've no idea what the big delay was all about, but I'm just happy it's open again ... I can bring my car back up now after the weekend! :)
    I'm guessing they read boards.ie ? :pac:

=-=

Regardless, chase it, as you don't want it happening again for no reason with no advance notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

Are you living in Alexandra Place by any chance?

I'd give up any chance of ever trying to get through to the Management Company if you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Are you living in Alexandra Place by any chance?

I'd give up any chance of ever trying to get through to the Management Company if you are!

Go to the CRO website (see the link below)

There's an entry for "Alexandra Place Management Co" - is that the name of your Management Co? If so you can get the name and addresses of the Directors of the Management Co and contact them directly. These directors have legal responsibilities to you as a shareholder in that company (see www.odce.ie for loads more info or www.consumerconnect.ie) - make sure they comply with the law.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=390386&type=C

• Advertisement
Advertisement