Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few ebay questions...

Options
  • 14-06-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hi. Don't know much about this type of thing so any help is greatly appreciated.

I want to set up an ebay account to start selling some stuff but I don't have a credit card.

Is it possible to connect my bank account to my ebay account instead of using a credit card? If so do you know how to do it?

Also when I want to place an ad up on ebay, do they charge when I put the ad up or will they charge when the ad sells/expires?

Thanks for your time.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A 3v credit card www.3v.ie will do to open an eBay account and fees are taken once a month by eBay NOT when you list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I have a 3v card but I didn't think they were suitable for selling items on ebay as I didn't know where the funds would go to.

What is your view on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You don't get paid into your 3v a/c when you sell - you either taken payment by cheque/PO or into your PayPal a/c. Although I'm on eBay for years I'm probably not explaining the system very well. Sorry.

I understand but I'm wondering is it possible to use a bank account instead of a paypal account as I don't have a credit card. Thanks for your help with this anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

You can add funds to your paypal through bank transfer instead of credit card, if that helps?

• Advertisement

Yes, I understand. But I'm mainly looking to use it for selling and not buying that's why I'm wondering about funds just going straight to my bank.

Not automatically, no, you have to transfer it in every so often. Of course you could ask for payment by direct bank transfer, but that's a whole kettle of trouble.

Oh now I understand. So is the best option to get a credit card and just use the paypal account?

Sorry I'm no good with any of this stuff.

I'm starting to get confused as well now!

You can either:
    a) Use paypal with your bank account, transferring money in to cover eBay fees until you have enough (PayPal) credit from sales to cover fees. Transfer the profits to your bank account.
    b) Use paypal with a (3V?) credit card to pay your fees, but still get the profits transferred to your bank when you want.
    c) Get a real credit card and use it for fees and accepting payment.

The problem with bank transfers to and from PayPal is the amount of time they take to clear, but it's easy enough to set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

To sell, you need to register a credit card with eBay, in order to pay their fees. They will not accept a bank account or Paypal for this. You can use a 3V voucher in place of a credit card if you like.

To receive payment for goods sold, you will need Paypal (as it's now mandatory for sellers to take Paypal, as far as I'm aware), and you can extract the received funds through a bank account, so no credit card actually needed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Also for your other questions you pay to list an item then you also pay 10% of the final value you charge. You dont pay a listing fee if you list in an auction starting at under 1.49. But you run the risk of only getting 1.49 for your item.

If you are buying stuff to sell and make a profit you need to factor in the charges and opening a ebay shop is a good bet as you can list your items until they are sold. If you are just selling old stuff you dont use anymore then just sell as a normal seller. Costs are the same but the sale only lasts for 10 days max and then you need to relist.

Advertisement