Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up drink but staying amongst the same social circles advice?

• 14-06-2010 6:58pm

Heys guys,

So I'm kicking the drink for the foreseeable future. I have a variety of reasons for it which I'll keep to myself for now.

Anyways, the thing is, I don't think that just because I am giving up drink that I should become a recluse either. So as well as continuing with my martial arts training that I always do anyway, I'm going to take up rock climbing. I will also however be going out with my mates and trying to remain sociable, dance, let the hair down and fool around a little etc etc. I have no problem with people drinking and I don't need to avoid pubs/clubs etc to avoid drinking.

I realise that after 1-1.30 I'm likely to get fed up and want to go home as this is usually when everyone tsrats to ebcome incoherent and annoying, so I've accepted I'll liekly leave beforehand.

I also realise that it will carry a certain stigma, and again I'm pretty much ready for that.

The one thing I do worry about is that I don't want to become uptight or anything like that. For example, my mates like to play drinking games in the house before we go out. And a lot of the games that they play would be alienating to a non drinker. SO I guess I'm looking for some advice from you guys as to what I can do to not be "spoiling" the party so to speak by having everyone else have to change what they do.

This exact situation happened a few weeks ago. Pre drinking in mates house, I was joining in the conversations, making sure I wasn't too quiet etc, but then along comes the drinking game and I ended up objecting to it as I'd have been left sitting there like a nob. But then I felt bad for objecting to it so I'm not really sure how to handle these nights out without being perceived as boring or whatever.

Any advice on how to avoid things like this whilst remaining sociable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If your friends are quite a boozie lot (they sound that way), you'll struggle. My friends fall mainly among 2 groups. One group couldn't give a monkeys about whether I drink or not. The other group are my older friends but let's just say I wouldn't always be first on their invite list if they know it's going to be a mad one. The reality is, don't be a douche about it but a lot of how this will turn out is out of your hands. Being treated differently is almost inevitable even if you don't feel or act ant differently.

Just turn up after the drinking games perhaps? Or sit there like a 'nob' as you say :P
    Just because you've stopped drinking doesn't mean anyone else should have to change what they do. The only thing that will happen is that they will get sick of you 'ruining the fun' if you object to their games etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

It normally doesnt bother me but dont out yourself out for them . drinkers will not put themselves out for you.

Give yourself a few months of a break from drinking before you put yourself in a drinking game situation ,then see how you feel.

Advertisement