Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shih Tzu problem

Options
  • 14-06-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Need help lads. My poor little fella woke me up Saturday night with diarrhoea. He was in ok mood yesterday but had it all day. Last night he woke me up again but this time i thought i noticed some blood:( Had to go to work this morning but when i came there was an awful alot of "it" on the floor. Definately blood in it this time. I rang the vets and he told me to pop in. He gave him some pink hydrating fluid and an injection. He also gave me some rehydrating sachets to be mixed with water. He told me to pop in tomorrow if he appears to have become weak. He is not to eat for the next 2 days.
    My problem is he isin't a big drinker, just waits til he is thirsty and drinks then but would never just drink loads. I'm desperately tryin to get him to drink but he refuses. Other than ice cubes (doesn't like) or broth (too salty for now) does anyone have any tips to get him drinking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Syringe so you can guage how much fluids he's had, don't force it down his throat, just in the side of the mouth, slowing push the plunger down, it will flow between the teeth & the dog will swallow it.

The more gentle you are with the syringe & relaxed you make the dog the more he should drink. If he is refusing to allow you to do it don't keep it up, he'll wear himself out & hate the sight of a syringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

If he won't take water from the syringe bring him back to the vet tomorrow as he'll need to be rehydrated. Hope he's ok soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

ghost_ie wrote: »
    If he won't take water from the syringe bring him back to the vet tomorrow as he'll need to be rehydrated. Hope he's ok soon
    Thanks. He is much better today. Seems like whatever stuff the vet gave him seems to have kicked in. Will keep an eye on him today and see how he is. Thanks for all the help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's good he's improving was going to say the vet could of put him on a drip if he wasn't improving.

Advertisement