Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best panniers w/o frame attachment bolts?

• 14-06-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,

Has anybody toured with panniers on a bike that didn't have the attachment points just at the top of the seat stays. I have the option of fitting at the brake rear attachment point or the seat tube.

Can anyone recommend something very good quality that would last a tour of Romania??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

Look at how OMM use a "band clamp".

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/instructions/UniAxleRear.html

I bought normal hardware store ones in different sizes than those supplied with OMM panniers to fit our frames - no problem over many kilometers of offroad MTB

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

What are you up to Mr. Lee.....Romania?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It's the rack/carrier that attaches to the frame, not the panniers. You should be able to use p-clips (band clamps above) to attach the rack to the frame. Then hang your panniers off that.

I'd strongly recommend Ortlieb panniers - they're 100% waterproof and very hard wearing. My pair are going over 15 years now (including a trip to Romania).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Straatvark wrote: »
    Look at how OMM use a "band clamp".
    Am I the only one who thought of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you have attachments for a rack at the bottom that is the important bit where all the weight goes, you can attach the other bit to the brake hole as you suspect.

If not get a rack that attaches to the QR axle, there was a post on this recently- Axiom I think make one.

P-Clips are not in my opinion a very solid solution, they might do OK for a bit of a commute but I wouldn't go to Romania with them. I used them myself for a while on a commuter and there was a lot of wobbling. Actually annoyed me so much I bought another bike with the proper mounts for commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

What about those of us without qr or bolt holes?
    Will the qr rack go over a normal axle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

blorg wrote: »
    P-Clips are not in my opinion a very solid solution
    +1 Complete disaster IMO.

Advertisement