Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roland's reading log

Options
  • 14-06-2010 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

thought it's about time i keep a record of what i've read. i tend to buy books and then forget which ones i've read or bought before

Stephen King
    Carrie
    The Stand
    The Dead Zone
    Firestarter
    Cujo
    Pet Sematary
    The Eyes of the Dragon
    Insomnia
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Dreamcatcher
    Everything's Eventual
    Cell
    Duma Key
    Under the Dome
    Dark Tower I - VII

Stephen King books bought but haven't read
    The Talisman
    Lisey's Story
    Blaze
    The Bachman Books
    Black House
    It
    Four Past Midnight
    Desperation
    Salem's Lot
    From A Buick 8
    Christine
    The Dark Half
    Bag of Bones
    Misery
    The Shining
    Different Seasons

Charlaine Harris
    Sookie Stackhouse series:
    Dead unitl Dark
    Living Dead in Dallas
    Club Dead
    Dead to the World
    Dead as a Doornail
    Definitely Dead
    All Together Dead
    From Dead to Worse

Halo Series
    The Fall of Reach
    The Flood
    First Strike
    Ghosts of Onyx
    Contact Harvest
    The Cole Protocol

Larry Niven
    Ringworld
    Ringworld Engineers

Numerous Star Wars books as well but too many to list. i read a load of them when i was younger.

Comments
    Love Stephen King books, especially the Dark Tower series, and all connected to them. worth checking out. The Stand is an excellent post-apocalyptic thriller.
    the true blood series is a good read. very easy to get through. not deep like SK's books. TV show is based on them.

Currently reading the Talisman - SK and Peter Straub

anyone have any recommendations for me? i'm mainly interested in fantasy and sci-fi books, though i might read some ordinary fiction if it's good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

anyone have any recommendations for me? i'm mainly interested in fantasy and sci-fi books, though i might read some ordinary fiction if it's good.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon
    IMO better than King's The Stand , and i love The Stand.
    http://www.amazon.com/Swan-Song-Robert-McCammon/dp/0671741039

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers
    They plan to use part of this for the plot in the next "Pirates of the Carribean" ,but don't let that put you off.
    This would have made a great 18's film in its own right instead of a family film.If you like fantasy get yourself a copy of this book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Tides-Tim-Powers/dp/1930235321/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276613103&sr=1-4

The Drawing Of the Dark by Tim Powers
    Love this Book....great fantasy.
    http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Dark-Del-Rey-Impact/dp/0345430816/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276613103&sr=1-8

Also anything by David Gemmell, RR Martin,Joe Abercrombie,Scott Lynch,Peter V Brett,Frank Herbert, and most of Raymond E Fiest.
    Also don't forget Patrick Rothfuss.More will come to me ,but these should keep you busy for a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

A good book overall. took me a while to get through (over 2 months :eek:) though that's down to me being very busy, and not having much time to read.

While it was a good read, i found it to suffer from some plot holes -
    What is the Talisman, exactly? only for the fact that i've read the Dark Tower series, i probably wouldn't have known.
    I also felt that it was concentrating too much on the journey. the end becomes resolved in no length -
    His mother is healed by the Talisman, the journey back to her was a doodle etc..
    it felt just like it was tying up a loose end but it doesn't really take away from the book's main story - Jack's journey towards the Talisman. The way it was written was excellent though a couple of times, i had to go back and reread a page or two to understand what was going on. any event that had a build-up to it seemed to happen very fast and was over with very quickly.

3.5/5

Advertisement