Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tan-wall Tyres

• 14-06-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi,

My rear tyre is shredded and, on further examination, my front tyre is not looking in the best nick either. I've never managed to wear out a pair of tyres before and I'm having trouble figuring out what to replace them with.

The current tyres are Hutchinson 700x28s. I would have a strong preference for a tan-wall (or white-wall) tyre, to keep the bike looking like it does. Most modern tyres don't seem to be tan-wall.

Would these be an alright option? I suppose some puncture protection would be nice although the thick wheels have been fairly robust until recently.

Thanks for any pointers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

co-incedence.
    I was only browsing on weight weenies and came across these. Seem to be highly rated by the folks on there.http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Veloflex-Veloflex-Pave-Kevlar-Folding-Tyre--700-x-22-(22-622)-18693.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭jefferson73

+1 on the Veloflex Pave's, they don't hang around in stock on most of the sites,very popular,for good reason
    however, i can also recommend Challenge Parigi-Roubaix if you want a bit extra..these are both great hand made Italian tyre's

Y1085.jpg
    yhst-84224226242177_2106_29396162

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Thanks for those suggestions. I'm confused though (and ignorant). The Veloflex Pave are 22mm width, what I have now is 28? Would I not need something a bit closer to fit the wheel?

I can see the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix tyres come in 27? They might be a little over my budget though, from what I'm seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

Hi,

The current tyres are Hutchinson 700x28s. I would have a strong preference for a tan-wall (or white-wall) tyre, to keep the bike looking like it does. Most modern tyres don't seem to be tan-wall.

Would these be an alright option? I suppose some puncture protection would be nice although the thick wheels have been fairly robust until recently.

Thanks for any pointers.
    Unfortunately I can't see the pics of your bike (in work and flickr is blocked), I'm guessing it's for the 'retro' style your looking at tan-walls.

I run those same Pasela Tour Guards in 700X32 on an older steel road frame converted to fixed. The light tread and tan walls give a nice retro look.

Nice smooth ride, good grip, hard wearing, tread is handy on off road paths, and no p******es so far (only about 1000km on them though).

So, I'd recommend them without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

FergusF wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't see the pics of your bike (in work and flickr is blocked), I'm guessing it's for the 'retro' style your looking at tan-walls.

I run those same Pasela Tour Guards in 700X32 on an older steel road frame converted to fixed. The light tread and tan walls give a nice retro look.

Nice smooth ride, good grip, hard wearing, tread is handy on off road paths, and no p******es so far (only about 1000km on them though).

So, I'd recommend them without hesitation.

Thanks Fergus. Yeah, it's a '70's Peugeot.

The one I originally linked to was a cheap enough Panaracer "City" tyre but I found these Kevlar ones following off bcmf's link. I think they're the one's you're talking about (Tour Guard) and might be the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

Thanks Fergus. Yeah, it's a '70's Peugeot.

The one I originally linked to was a cheap enough Panaracer "City" tyre but I found these Kevlar ones following off bcmf's link. I think they're the one's you're talking about (Tour Guard) and might be the way to go.
    I have the wire bead version of these - labeled 'Tour Guard' but they have a red label instead of blue. Ordered them off SJS as well. My bike is a 70's Zeus road frame, 32s fit ok but with v little clearance at the rear brake bridge.

Just found them here , they are a good bit cheaper than the folding ones you posted, but a few g heavier.

Advertisement