Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings in Strand Hotel Limerick

Options
  • 14-06-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am getting married in August next year in Limerick City and I am interested in having my reception in The Strand Hotel. I do not know of anyone who has attended a wedding here and I am looking for feedback from people who have had their wedding reception there or from people who have attended wedding receptions in The Strand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Hi Linda,

Was best man at one in Sept 09. Didn't see anything wrong with it, really nice actually, champagne reception with red carpet and all that. I am a guy obviously so don't expect me to know the ins and outs of what was involved but from a guys point of view, it was great. Downstairs in the main hall, its a beautiful room when done up with flowers and all that with the dance floor rolled out. You will be encouraged to go up to the roof with your photographer also and get some photos from the rooftop with the city and river in the background.

If you have any questions, just ask me, I will tell you all I can

Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

I can second what Irishproduce has said. Excellent location, beautiful decor and in particular the staff are very helpful and friendly.
    Full disclosure: I have no affiliation but have photographed there in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 linda1982ie

Well thats good to hear but what I would really like to know would be
    What was the food like at the reception what were the portions sizes like and the overall qualityof the food. How efficent were the staff at serving the food to the entire reception. How was the staff in general. Where would you take your wedding photos in the hotel. How did the reception room look like the day of the wedding If you can answer of the following questions Id appreciate it :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

I got married in the Strand last year,
    Everything about the hotel was fantastic and everyone loved the venue,
    Food portions and quality was brilliant and the staff were excellent,
    Couldnt recommend it highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Greenhills on the Ennis road is the best i've been to and i've been at weddings in most hotels in the city. The gold package on offer in the Greenhills is quite good too.

http://www.greenhillsgroup.com/documents/wedding-brochure.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I've been to a ball in The Strand and I co-organised one that went ahead in The Greenhills.
    Greenhills weren't great to be honest. Took forever to get the food out and by the time I got mine it was cold. Staff weren't great and the bar was very expensive.
    The Strand we're great, very friendly, very well laid out, it's newer, the food was out really quickly, all beautiful and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I've been to a ball in The Strand and I co-organised one that went ahead in The Greenhills.
    Greenhills weren't great to be honest. Took forever to get the food out and by the time I got mine it was cold. Staff weren't great and the bar was very expensive.
    The Strand we're great, very friendly, very well laid out, it's newer, the food was out really quickly, all beautiful and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

How long are you working there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I attended a wedding at the Strand and although the food was lovely alot went wrong because of the inattentiveness of the staff. The food was wonderful, the portions were great but the staff ignored alot of the things they were asked to take care of and didn't. It will always be the things that went wrong that will be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

lads the greenhills wont compare with the strand to be fair,
    speaking from experience of being to both

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I'm hoping to have my wedding in the Limerick Strand. We're on a shoestring budget, love the venue but the reception (for 120) is kind of out of our league. So if anyone wouldn't mind sharing how much reception/meal cost we just don't know how much realistically we can negotiate off what we've been quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

i was at a wedding in the radisson 3 weeks ago and it was fantastic, it was my best friends wedding and she said the staff were great to deal with, icve no idea how much it is perhead , but i know the price has come down since they booked their wedding 15 months ago,
    might be worth enquiring out there ...my sister works in teh clarion and she said they have very good wedding pacakages at the minute but again ive no idea what they are

congrats by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

attended a wedding in the carlton castletroy park on 15th april , it was nice the food was really good couldnt fault it really maybe try there
    congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you're on a budget you should look to the Carlton or South Court, meals can be got for €15 a head, though not sure at 120 people it may be more expensive. The Carlton have been great to deal with, but their events manager that I dealt with has moved to another Carlton.

Any hotel can offer a variety of menu prices, but those 2 are the ones that I've dealt with where price was the key, they can do more expensive options with choices etc, but if veg soup and chicken is okay with you then shop around on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

the real burning issue is, Is the strand expensive for drink ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

i tried to book the shagging strand for my wedding next year, was told that unless you book the biggest room in the hotel, they will not take a booking until 6 months out for the nicer, smaller room which holds around 90 people. bit of a joke in my opinion since all the family would be paying to stay over and all. wanted it to as was at a wedding there recently and it was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

allibastor wrote: »
    i tried to book the shagging strand for my wedding next year, was told that unless you book the biggest room in the hotel, they will not take a booking until 6 months out for the nicer, smaller room which holds around 90 people. bit of a joke in my opinion since all the family would be paying to stay over and all. wanted it to as was at a wedding there recently and it was really nice.

We had a similar problem with them too. They were very nice and friendly at our first visit but when we got down to discussing the details and trying to argue a better price we found them difficult to deal with. We ended up going to another hotel in the end and the service was absolutely excellent and worked out about 25% cheaper too.

It was not only the Strand that were difficult though we were shocked by the amount of hotels who did not have much interest because we were "only" bringing approx 80 people, a lot of hotels were looking for 120 people and more.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

h3000 wrote: »
    We had a similar problem with them too. They were very nice and friendly at our first visit but when we got down to discussing the details and trying to argue a better price we found them difficult to deal with. We ended up going to another hotel in the end and the service was absolutely excellent and worked out about 25% cheaper too.

It was not only the Strand that were difficult though we were shocked by the amount of hotels who did not have much interest because we were "only" bringing approx 80 people, a lot of hotels were looking for 120 people and more.

Yeah, though now i have rang a few they don't seem to mind. I just got really annoyed with the strand as they fist off had a big function, then when i said about maybe changing the date by a day i was told, well actually we always wait until the large room is booked first or until six months out to see if it will be booked, then if not we will take booking for the upstairs room. they may aswel just not have the upstairs room on the site if thats the case, and to be fair it is a much nicer room then the basement. i am looking at the castle oaks now or else bunratty.

where did you end up going anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

the real burning issue is, Is the strand expensive for drink ?

Is it all about the drink, what about the children :-)))))))))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Castletroy Park is not as modern, but has rooms of that capacity, similarly the Clarion and Savoy won't hold many more than 90. Savoy is fantastic!

Advertisement