Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need serious help in understanding a problem with my computer

Options
  • 14-06-2010 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I was on my computer today and out of nowhere it made these loud beeps and shut down and restarted automaticallly.Windows said the computer encountered a major error which caused the computer to do this. Can anyone explain why the computer did this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

virus,malware ,overheating or just random crash, too many programs running,out out memory,theres no such thing as a PERFECTLY stable pc,especially running windows.
    thats why googles switching over most of there servers to linux or mac os, which is just a version of linux .or maybe you went to a website that had malware on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

ricman wrote: »
    virus,malware ,overheating or just random crash, too many programs running,out out memory,theres no such thing as a PERFECTLY stable pc,especially running windows.
    thats why googles switching over most of there servers to linux or mac os, which is just a version of linux .or maybe you went to a website that had malware on it.

There are mac servers? Proof please, I'll believe linux servers anyday, but not mac.

Dont know if theres mac servers, i know most google employees have been told to use linux or mac os pc,s unless its absolutely necessary to use windows for testing a browser or a certain program .i,d say most of the servers on the net use linux as the os.

Dont know if theres mac servers, i know most google employees have been told to use linux or mac os pc,s unless its absolutely necessary to use windows for testing a browser or a certain program .i,d say most of the servers on the net use linux as the os.

Do you have any evidence of Google employees being forced to use Mac or Linux?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

http://www.neowin.net/news/google-ditching-windows-for-linux-and-mac

Of course the real reason is the upcoming release of Chrome OS, Googles own operating system based linux

• Advertisement

THEY save money on licensing, better security ,linux =free
    see here,
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d2f3f04e-6ccf-11df-91c8-00144feab49a.html

if you want to use windows you,ll have to show specific technical reasons why you need to use it.
    i think they were hacked from a pc running ie6 ,thru a flash vulnerability, ie 6 is wide open to hacks anyway.

better security
    Until Linux gets more market-share and people start developing malware and virii for it.

Until Linux gets more market-share and people start developing malware and virii for it.

Malware can't login as root therefore would have little effect on linux

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Malware can't login as root therefore would have little effect on linux

From your post, I can assume that Virii can then.

From your post, I can assume that Virii can then.

Nope, the weakest link is the user though, but most linux users are more familiar with the inner workings of their systems than most Windows users, so they are usually more capable of setting up their machines securely. Windows security is alot looser, the ordinary user has far too many admin powers, in linux they have none

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nope, the weakest link is the user though, but most linux users are more familiar with the inner workings of their systems than most Windows users, so they are usually more capable of setting up their machines securely. Windows security is alot looser, the ordinary user has far too many admin powers, in linux they have none

Fair point :D

Most people run as admin in windows ,and its possible to get a virus from clicking on a ad that hasnt been checked ,this happened on the nyt website about 5 months ago.
    And theres many different versions of linux ,even if you wanted to write malware.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

There are mac servers? Proof please, I'll believe linux servers anyday, but not mac.
    :-)

There are indeed:
    http://www.apple.com/server/

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Aaaannnnyway, getting back to the topic at hand...

Are these beeps still happening when you try to power the computer on? If so, what is the computer make and model and the pattern of beeps? If not, is it booting up correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Almost all webservers are on linux distros.... including googles. and OSX is NOT a version of linux, its a UNIX based OS.

and who ever was talking about chrome OS should realise its basicly a netbook OS.

/super mega facepalm

In response to OP, loud beeps are usually a signal for overheating, if the problem recurs you may need to get some body to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

usually when a PC beebs it telling you something gone wrong, if the RAM going, or processor overheating . What is the make and model of the PC? Also how many beeps are there ?

i mistyped ,i meant mac os is a unix based operating system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 studybuddy1

Its a windows xp home edition from 2002.I think it made 4 beeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Its a windows xp home edition from 2002.I think it made 4 beeps.

did it bluescreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

OP Google for something like Dell Diagnostic Beep Code or Dell System Beep Codes. Change the manufacturer name as required. That could narrow your problem down a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 studybuddy1

no the computer just switched off and rebooted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

no the computer just switched off and rebooted

Sounds like its shutting itself down to protect itself. If your PC is older (if its from 2002 and a Dell , I'd say it could be a Pentium 4) then you will need to download Speedfan and that will tell you the CPU's temperature. Once you have that, report back to us :)

Advertisement