Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Medicine in the UK

• 14-06-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey hoping someone can help me out.

For my leaving cert Im going to be studying biology, ag. science and business along with Maths, Irish, English and German.

After the leaving I was hoping to study medicine in the UK.

Im wondering if anyone out there has or is currently studying medicine in england and if so what were the entry requirements when you applied. As in leaving cert grades and the subjects you need and also what college are you studying in.

I would be grateful for any replies. Have researched the internet but it isn't very clear. ..............................:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

lived in England, it's a sh1thole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

I applied to the UK for law, and lots of my friends applied for medicine, so I know a bit... The requirements are pretty much the same as here in terms of grades etc, it really isn't any easier. You can apply to a maximum of four universities for medicine and they make conditional offers to you at around April, (December for Oxford or Cambridge) dependent on you getting the right grades. Some universities require you to go over for interview. For medicine they usually ask for 5 or 6 A's, including A's in your sciences and sometimes maths also. Some universities will specify an A1. Hate to burst your bubble, but most of the universities require you have two sciences, including chemistry. One of my friends took up chemistry at the start of 6th year when she realised she wanted to do medicine, if you're focused it's COMPLETELY doable! There is also an aptitude test similar to the HPAT called the UKCAT, and some universities require you to sit the BMAT which is supposed to be more about testing what you know in biology etc. www.ucas.com should give you more information, thestudentroom.co.uk is also very good!

I know it seems like a lot to take in at the moment, but UCAS is quite doable when you break it down, it's just totally alien to us when we only have the CAO to worry about! Your guidance counsellor will help you with it all aswell. For medicine work experience is very important, so I'd try and get a placement over the summer holidays and just worry about that for the moment.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psychoduck

i think you need chemistry for england
    plus personal statement and other crap, an aptitude test and then they call you for an interview. you have to apply for medicine in UK until september or october though

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

Thanks for you replies guys. To be honest Im kind of trying to avoid studying Chemisttry and therefore Im hoping there are colleges in England where just one science i.e biology is accepted or ag science is also accepted as a science although I doubt it woul be.

Any more replies greatly appreciated :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

Tippgal93 wrote: »
    To be honest Im kind of trying to avoid studying Chemisttry and therefore Im hoping there are colleges in England where just one science i.e biology is accepted or ag science is also accepted as a science although I doubt it woul be.

If you are hoping not to study chemistry why are you considering a medical career?? Biochemistry is hard subject and speaking as one who did not do chemistry at either JC or LC level I can tell you 3rd level chemistry is very difficult!
    Another option for you might be to do a science degree/biomed BSc and then apply as a grad to medicine. It will give you a grounding in the subjects.. but it's expensive.
    As far as I know, TCD is the only medicine course which requires 2 sciences. UCD etc require the usual matriculation + a science subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

Yeah microbio I get where your coming from. It probably doesnt make that much sense. Overall I was good at science for the JC ct out of Biology, Chemistry and Physics- chemistry was my weakest. Its not that I feel I wont get on well at it but im worried about keeping it on due to points etc.
    Every subject will be hard , I know that much but perhaps the A grade in Ag Science would be more possible than in Chemistry. I want 2 focus on getting into the course I want 1st but Im not oblivious to the fact it will tKE considerable amt of work :)
    Sorry about the long post :) =]

Any more thoughts, replies welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gaga OhLaLa

Do try to avoid ash clouds.. Otherwise, like me, you wont make it to the interview.

Gah, I hate UCAS

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was offered an interview by the Imperial College in London, for Computer Science, but I wasn't interested enough to consider travelling to the UK so I just e-mailed them and said that I can not bear the expensive of a formal interview in a different country and they sent me an admissions test in lieu of an interview. I got a Conditional offer in the end, but only 'Insurance' accepted it as I really want to go to Heriott-Watt in Edinburgh. Well, actually I really want to go to UCD but UCAS can be my back-up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

Tippgal93 wrote: »
    Yeah microbio I get where your coming from. It probably doesnt make that much sense. Overall I was good at science for the JC ct out of Biology, Chemistry and Physics- chemistry was my weakest. Its not that I feel I wont get on well at it but im worried about keeping it on due to points etc.
    Every subject will be hard , I know that much but perhaps the A grade in Ag Science would be more possible than in Chemistry. I want 2 focus on getting into the course I want 1st but Im not oblivious to the fact it will tKE considerable amt of work :)
    Sorry about the long post :) =]

Any more thoughts, replies welcome :)

Sorry Tippgal, I misread your original post and thought you were currently doing your LC. I now see that you are picking your LC subjects. Sorry about that.
    Something else you can consider is taking up Geography. It is seen as a science subject for some courses. You wil have to check the individual colleges to be sure. Although alot of science/med courses will require a lab subject. Have you checked if Ag Science is allowed as a matriculation subject? Ensure you have all this information before you pick subjects. I don't think Home EC S&S is considered anymore..
    Horror story: a girl in my year was told geography was counted as a science for architechture. When she filled out her CAO she checked the requirements and realised it wasn't! SHe was already doing biology and ended up having to take up chemistry in Dec of 6th year! :eek: So defiinitely check all your subjects.
    Yep medicine will be a lot of work and so will the LC. I promise you that every year of your degree, no matter what degree it is, you'll wish you were sitting your LC again as the college exams get harder and harder.. as you'd expect. In the same way I'm sure all LC students wish they were sitting their JC.
    Best of luck to you :)

Advertisement