Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M50 Chaos with horses tonight

• 14-06-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I was heading home this evening on the M50 when I got caught on the wrong side of the Mad Cow. A truck was parked across the north bound carriageway.
    After a few minutes I decided to don my photojurno hat and grabbed a few shots along the way.

3646ECCE772B436B95F643F537F08E5F-500.jpg

5DDE46AD05D344DD91157BB72EC786D3-500.jpg

This poor horse was in a bad way. Not looked after, thin, filthy and tired
    from running on the M50 for over an hour.
    4A8098631F3A446FB1EE044CED57F615-500.jpg

There's a couple more over on my pixie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

prob a bit too late - but do you want me to send them to the papers (on your behalf)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Love #3, that pretty girl with the pretty smile greatly adds to it and the Horse looks pretty happy too, so much prettiness in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

PCPhoto wrote: »
    prob a bit too late - but do you want me to send them to the papers (on your behalf)

Cheers PM me your email and I'll pop across the high res !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

Bas tards shouldnt be let have a horse i hate people who buy a horse for the sack of having one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

sent you a PM back .... too late on this occasion - most of the papers print between 9-9.30ish ....so images need to get into them ASAP.

if it was pics of a murder scene or big news story ... they could use it in the late editions ... but a horse causing traffic problems....might at best make the herald.

EDIT: What time did it happen, was anyone injured...how long was traffic delayed ?

Ideally news pics need to be sent into the papers within maximum of an hour of being taken....ideally within 5-10mins of being taken.

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    sent you a PM back .... too late on this occasion - most of the papers print between 9-9.30ish ....so images need to get into them ASAP.

if it was pics of a murder scene or big news story ... they could use it in the late editions ... but a horse causing traffic problems....might at best make the herald.

EDIT: What time did it happen, was anyone injured...how long was traffic delayed ?

Ideally news pics need to be sent into the papers within maximum of an hour of being taken....ideally within 5-10mins of being taken.

No body hurt. Seems the horses were running up and down the M50 for about an hour, crossing in and out of traffic. I'm not sure what happened with the truck, but it would appear like he swerved to avoid one of the animals. It happened at 19.30 and lasted for over an hour.

My USB broadband stick went missing today. I was editing the shots in LR while the chaos was still going on. Just had no way of getting the up.

I appreciate the offer.

Ah well - next time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

The poor little thing looks so frail. You wonder how people get away with this. Anyone know how the horse ended up on the motorway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

4700816055_b26b2aeec2.jpg
    A "nice" garda on a motorbike chased the pony down the wrong way on the
    M50 afterwards.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    A "nice" garda on a motorbike chased the pony down the wrong way on the M50 afterwards.

I know !!!

I thought I saw a horse running down the hard shoulder, and thought I'd get the camera out to have a look. Then I got talking to one of the other drivers. Next thing you know they passed me - and me with now friggin' camera. :o

It was only then I got the camera out.

Ah well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I would have ploughed straight through the horse if I was the lorry driver, rather than risk a serious accident and leave my vehicle strewn across 3 lanes of a motorway, as in the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

sesna wrote: »
    I would have ploughed straight through the horse if I was the lorry driver, rather than risk a serious accident and leave my vehicle strewn across 3 lanes of a motorway, as in the picture.

That would probably have wiped out the driver of the truck, and who knows how many others, so maybe not such a good idea - hitting a heavy animal at speed can be as lethal for drivers as it is for the animal.

your in a truck obviously you dont watch topgear they got a lorry through a brick wall lol.

he could have been told to park it like that to prevent cares going up further

your in a truck obviously you dont watch topgear they got a lorry through a brick wall lol.

he could have been told to park it like that to prevent cares going up further

The gardai dont have any authority to unofficially use someones truck as a barrier across a motorway.

beats using there own car which wont take up alot of lanes. who knows they could have asked him to do it

beats using there own car which wont take up alot of lanes. who knows they could have asked him to do it

Who knows, anything is possible in this country.

Though I would have thought they would just opt for a 500 metre advance road closed warning sign, and maybe have one or two jeeps with flashing blue lights in lanes 1 and 2.

It looks to me like the truck is being used to block the road. The angle of the truck is too horizontal for him to have naturally turned it like that in an attempt to avoid a horse, in my opinion.

I love the Learner car in picture 2. They're not allowed on such road are they? I'd say the driver was dreading the Gardaì going past him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the truck could have jackknifed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I dont think the driver swerved into that position, chances are traffic slowed to a crawl and he turned to block the road.

Ive seen it before after a car crash, the truck driver behind the crash pulled across the 2 lanes to block the road. You can see a big artic from much further back so people know the road is blocked and slow down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The gardai dont have any authority to unofficially use someones truck as a barrier across a motorway.

No, but they can ask

good call & great advertising for Kulton :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It looks to me like the truck is being used to block the road. The angle of the truck is too horizontal for him to have naturally turned it like that in an attempt to avoid a horse, in my opinion.

I love the Learner car in picture 2. They're not allowed on such road are they? I'd say the driver was dreading the Gardaì going past him.

Cars with L plates are allowed on the motorways, maybe the driver was not a learner but the plates are for another member of the family.

• Advertisement

Cars with L plates are allowed on the motorways, maybe the driver was not a learner but the plates are for another member of the family.

I know that - I was assuming the driver is a learner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

AFAIK you are meant to take the L plates down if you are driving with a full license. Only when someone with a learner permit is driving are the L plates to be displayed. But this discussion is way off topic and suited for the Motors thread, sorry :)

Advertisement