Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new cyclist

• 14-06-2010 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Ashtown and work near the canal at baggot st,I was wondering what is it like to cycle to canal from Ashtown to town for a newbie? Also, I have read some posts where Broombridge sounds scarey (rock throwing) is it really that bad as I don't want to be scared cycling past. Also would I be better off getting a mountain bike?

Thanks,

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Assuming you do actually mean Ashwood out by Phoenix Park rather than the one by Roundwood, then distance wise as a beginner you'll be fine. Start out by doing it a couple of times a week and build from there.

You'd be better off going for a decent hybrid/road bike than a MTB as the MTB would just slow you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dagdae

Thanks, yeah I mean ashtown near the phaoenix park. Along the canal where the train that goes to maynooth passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

As blowfish said a hybrid/road bike will suit you as long as you're not actually planning on off-roading your entire commute. 700c wheels (road bike wheels) with slick and skinny tyres plus the lighter-weight frame compared to a mountain bike will make life a lot easier.

If you're unsure of exactly what to buy or where throw up a budget or maybe one or two models that have caught your eye and your fellow boardsies will gladly advise you on what's best to buy.

Afraid I can't really advise you on the rock throwing as I'm not familiar with the area but don't let reports of isolated incidents scare you (although do exercise caution), the internet does tend to be somewhat sensationalist after all, it might not be that bad in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I do a similar journey. You can either go down the navan road, old cabra road, all the way into town, or into the park, then up the quays. I'm not in Ashtown but in D.15 so I go a third way. Through the park, out at Island Bridge, up through Kilmanham to the canal. Then straight down the canal to Baggot St. This is longer. But you've hardly any turns and a lot less traffic and lights.

I'd say it would take you 25~35 mins max. Good roads in general so you don't need a MTB.

When you say Broombridge and stone throwing. I'm wondering are you thinking of going via the canal, I know nothing about that route. But not one I'd want to do at night.

You can try a different route everyday till you find on that you like on the bike. Sometimes its not the quickest route either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dagdae

Thanks, I think you are right I should probably try out a few different ones until I find one I'm comfortable with. A half an hour is grand :D I wait an extra 40 mins after work at the mo to get public transport home so I'd be home before I normally leave if I cycle!

Budget wise I have no idea, I don't know much about bikes. I am on minimum wage so 400 is the most I'd want to pay.

• Advertisement

Does your job do the cycle to work scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EamonnL

Perhaps the most pleasant route from there would be to cross the ashtown roundabout and enter the phoenix park, through the park, then either down the quays and up to baggot street or the slightly longer route of going up to the south circular from islandbridge and along the canal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

+1 for the canal after the phoenix park. I spent a few months going up the quays and over to baggot st through the city center. It's fine, perfectly doable, but going through kilmainham and then up along the canal is just nicer. It's calmer, there's space on the road and cycling beside the canal is pleasant!

I much prefer the canal/park route too.

Advertisement