Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo blogging

• 14-06-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I wonder what are you using for photo blogging (or other kind of photo sharing)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well for general sharing I use pix.ie (My Pix.ie)- a lot of folks on here do. And for a more 'proper' photosharing I use wix.com, it's a flash builder, very nice, simple layouts, plus the free version's ads aren't intrusive at all- (My wix site)

There are piles more options, no doubt someone else can come along and stick in a few more options...

Zo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I'm just debating what to use for a blog at the moment. I wanted to go for a free template to start off so set up a blogspot account and tried to use this template. Can't get it to work yet though and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I wonder what are you using for photo blogging (or other kind of photo sharing)?

For our line of work, I would suggest either Blogger or WP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

i use blogger, so far it's been great personally i like blogs that you can scroll down through lots of images at once rather than ones that show a single image at a time, so blogger works really well for that.

other than that i use flickr to photoshare, but pix.ie seems to be pretty popular on here too.

my blog is here: city of blackbirds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

hmnnn..... well I do the pix.ie think and sometimes the flickr thing, and well for a photo blog I wrote my own what I guess is a content management system suitable for photographs. I wanted something really simple and clean and modifying blog themes was giving me a pain in the butt so I re-learned how to program (which i used to do many years previous) and took it on as a personal project. Happy enough with the results but it won't be for everyone. There are some unfinished bits though so i need to get re-motivated to do the last 10% of the necessary.

I very much like tumblr as blogging software but I found their image size limitations to be too restrictive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I use pixelpost, as do a few others round here, and recently I had a look at picoplog for a friend of mine, did a quick install on my hosting but didn't get to do much more, it's nice and simple if that's what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

another pixelpost user. With a template that I hacked to hell and back.

My experiences as a blogger and a reader with some other platforms:

Wordpress: As a blogger, I don't like that I have to install a photo management thing on top of the normal CMS to manage the images, it adds a level of complexity to it. As a reader, lots of the wp templates don't support 'click to go previous image' which i find annoying - when i hover over a picture and my mouse turns into a hand, i expect it to be a link to something other than the photo itself on a blank page. In WP you also have tenplates that are geared towards text but you can add in photos, and then you have specific photoblog templates, which are more like pixelpost single image per page.

Blogger:
    Haven't tried it for blogging but one thing I've noticed is that when you try to comment on some blogger blogs, you have to use a login of some kind like your google login, and i'd rather just use name/email/url. It's stopped me commenting before. I'm not sure if they have dedicated image based templates too so you could be very limited on the ease of upload and management.

Pixelpost:
    This is geared right from the start towards a photo blog, so it's by far the easiest from a management point of view. There are some templates that are more popular than others, so you may end up with a blog that isn't completely unique unless you're willing to get your hands dirty with css. You have to be able to set up the isntallation and have your own hosting for this, there's no easy pre-hosted option. There's even a LR plugin so you can upload straight from there, but I'm not sure if it's still supported completely.

Other people are using tumblr which has some lovely lovely templates and is really easy to use - but as ACD pointed out above, image size is limited - 500px wide i think.

Things to consider:
    • Are you hosting yourself and willing to do installations and muck about with code?
    • Do you want a photo-per-page view or scrolling posts with multiple images and text?
    • How big do you want to show the images?

Advertisement