Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vietnam Expansion and the Gun Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ah yes a return to BFV me thinks, cant wait. I felt some of the maps felt like they belonged in BFV so this comes as little suprise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Since when where there lighthouses in Vietnam, or snow, or desert? :P

However \o/ that nam is back, though I will eat something horrible if they can recapture 50% of the essence from the original game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Not sure what to make of a Vietnam setting for this, seems all done before and bringing it out around the same time as Medal Of Honor seems odd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Trailer brings back memories. Makes me happy in my pants. Really looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would so get MOH over this...the new MOH looks just jaw droppingly good. Also I aint pre ordering nothing to get this I tell ya....

Vietnam wouldnt be the place for you anyway Wonda, only real men went to the nam and only SOB's made it back!

Its guys like me that single handidly captured GERMAN machine guns nests during the world war 2....Send me in as a lone wolf with a few sambos few days later job done.

Unlike you Fairy, you get trench foot and start to eat your own body after two weeks

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

cant wait for this will be playing some nam on fsfa #1 server tonight if anyones game

o/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Would be Cool if you could Play "Wild Thing" while Flying the Chopper again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

This is Romeo Foxtrot, shall we dance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ah i watched that teaser trailer and man It brought a tear to the eye. I cant remember the last time I got his excieted about a game, never mind an expansion. Hell I not getting a new PC just so I can run MOH only to have a good single player game and have no mates who can run it and so never play it online.
    Them MOH games are always too far ahead of them selfs... Great for you early adaptors not so great for the main stream PC gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Havent played the original Nam :( so i guess this will have to do :/

Never played the original myself. Hopefully it will add a bit of buzz again to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

Excellant stuff , a great game will become even greater

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

think it might buy me another few months at playing BC2..
    I find it extremely boring and if BF1942/BFV and BF2 were the premiership then BC2 is 3rd league...
    Classes are ridiculously set up and for the life of me I can't understand why they didn't follow the BF2142 class which was really excellent.
    I'd really love a remake of 1942...don't change anyway in it..just use the new frostbite engine...hmm...spitfiringly goodness :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    think it might buy me another few months at playing BC2..
    I find it extremely boring and if BF1942/BFV and BF2 were the premiership then BC2 is 3rd league...
    Classes are ridiculously set up and for the life of me I can't understand why they didn't follow the BF2142 class which was really excellent.
    I'd really love a remake of 1942...don't change anyway in it..just use the new frostbite engine...hmm...spitfiringly goodness :D

If you want a proper BF experience, then you need to wait till BF3. It's best to only consider BFBC2 as an amusing bit of filler until then.

Spear wrote: »
    If you want a proper BF experience, then you need to wait till BF3. It's best to only consider BFBC2 as an amusing bit of filler until then.

I'd be seriously surprised if BF3 is a patch on the previous BF games. BC2 is a sign of where Dice et al are heading, along with other developers, and I'm afraid its downhill.

Go install an older game, BF2, COD4 etc and look at the difference with what we are getting now. Go older again and the games get better. Yes the "GFX" may not be as nice, but I've always argued give me gameplay over gfx any day.

If you want to see what gameplay over gfx really means then download and play the old Enemy Territory game. Its got some of the best game play you will get in a game, yes the GFX are rubbish but you soon forget that.

I disagree somewhat Fairy. I do not think its the effort put into GFX that are making inferior games as opposed to time put into gameplay, its the cross platform releases. Consoles is where the money is BIG TIME so most games will be developed for them and then adapted for the PC. Making poor PC variants.....

The reason why the older games were better on the PC is because the consoles back then could not play them the tech was too old, therefore everything was developed for the PC ground up.

BTW, Quake:ET was absolute rubbish FULL STOP :D

• Advertisement

Quake ET was a great game with one of the best interfaces I've ever seen, the in game server was class. It didnt however suit public play at all due to the game type.

I'll stand by what I say, shiny graphics are taking away from game play!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Completely agree with your fairy...to me Dues E is the greatest game ever made.
    Even now with it's outdated graphics it still towers above any other game out there... no other game has ever bought me the same enjoyment with maybe the exception of Far Cry.
    I don't include the Battlefield series as they're obviously a different genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

TheFairy wrote: »
    I'd be seriously surprised if BF3 is a patch on the previous BF games. BC2 is a sign of where Dice et al are heading, along with other developers, and I'm afraid its downhill.

I think BC2 is a sweet game, it improves on the dodgy aim of the guns of bf2, also the guns seem a bit meatier. It's smaller in scale and tighter in response to COD, it's got destructible houses SWEEEET!!

I do miss BF2's scale and hope decide to make 2 types of games: BF: bigger scale and BC: smaller scale.

I'm hoping they manage to pull off strike at karkland using the new engine, but I have my doubts that the engine will hold up for bigger areas WITH all the destructible scenery to take into account.

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Completely agree with your fairy...to me Dues E is the greatest game ever made.
    Even now with it's outdated graphics it still towers above any other game out there... no other game has ever bought me the same enjoyment with maybe the exception of Far Cry.
    I don't include the Battlefield series as they're obviously a different genre.

I would have to say far Cry 1 is my all time favorite game, it just kept getting better and was stunning! Crysis is in a totally different league graphics-wise but the gameplay has suffered. Stealth/Shoot/Stealth/Shoot bloody stealth mode ruined that game!

What about UNREAL TOURNAMENT that was a sweet game both online and off.

Still here is to the new patch and the new add on.....even if all you hardcore BFV will have an advantage of me!!!! :mad:

I loved UT and would have defended it up to the hilt against quake3 until I got a machine capable of playing quake3, then it was bye bye UT.
    Quake 3 is just the most perfect online shooter ever made. As far as multiplayer goes it's still my favorite I game ever, the rocket arena mod is just bloody perfection.

Yeah the original QUAKE games were good and ahead of their time....ARENA was good too.

Have to say I do like TF2 aswell for pure run and gun madness. Even if I dont play it much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I cant believe im agreeing with you jay. Spent the last few days away from BC2 in the sun and find after a few minutes I was bored outta my skull!

Maybe its cuz the lads arent around playing and on TS much anymore...or i just picked a crap random server - spawn campers and CGers... oh i hope the patch revives the game for me.

My ranking of games on the greatness scale would be:

CS (1.6 and older)
    Quake 3
    BF2
    BC2
    UT
    TF2

yankinlk wrote: »
    I cant believe im agreeing with you jay. Spent the last few days away from BC2 in the sun and find after a few minutes I was bored outta my skull!

Maybe its cuz the lads arent around playing and on TS much anymore...or i just picked a crap random server - spawn campers and CGers... oh i hope the patch revives the game for me.

My ranking of games on the greatness scale would be:

CS (1.6 and older)
    Quake 3
    BF2
    BC2
    UT
    TF2

Wow cs number 1 and quake number 2 ^ ^.
    Calling someone a cs player in quake is the number one insult. But I've had fun in CS, but lots of team speak spectators helping out the last man etc AND rate hacking ruined it for me.
    As far as UT goes it was great until they brought in the crazy double jumping/zigzagging etc because most of the projectiles are too slow, it makes it tough to get good shots in, like throwing a stone at the flash.

Loved the coop map mods for operation flashpoint 1, really really good, I bought the new op flashpoint too but unless anyone else has it I'm afraid I won't be playing it...shame cos what I've seen of it looks good from a coop point of view.

Left for dead was good but got a bit samey, dunno if I'll buy L4D 2 yet, I may if you other guys play it.

Can anyone recommend any other games?

I do love the english special ops guy in CoD saying 'let's do this' before a match, sounds exactly like a pre-4sshol3 Christian Bale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

yankinlk wrote: »
    CS (1.6 and older)
    Quake 3
    BF2
    BC2
    UT
    TF2

:eek::eek:
    no 2142???????????

That would be WAAAAAAYYYY ahead of BC2 & TF2 for me.

I never really liked the Unreal Tourny 'twitch shoot' type of games, same with ET: Quake Wars, brutal.

Advertisement