Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting caught Speeding

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

pa990 wrote: »
    what sort of cam is that .. radar /laser ??

There mobile ANPR Gatso camera's. No flashes if you drive by them over the speed limit, just a fine in the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

-Chris- wrote: »
    But of course no one would ever advocate or encourage such behavious on boards.ie...

That goes without saying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Several motorists in the UK took their FCPN's, due to the fact that you have to self incriminate yourself which is against the law, to the European Court of Justice and that was the result.

What is FCPN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

What is FCPN?

Fixed Charge Penalty Notice .. thats what is used here.

in the UK they have NIP Notice of Intention to Prosecute
    The NIP has to be sent within 14 days of the offence.. its a ticket in the post basically

what do these new cam use to detect speed ? radar or laser.

i understand the whole ANPR thing, but that will simply read the number plates, what actually calculates the speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

OP I wouldn't worry a jot more about it. He probably wouldn't have even been able to read your reg let alone judge your speed.

Again I say your fine. You were only doing 120-125k in reality which they wont even blink at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I've been up and down the M9 now about 2 dozen times in the past couple of months and I'd often set the cruise control to 130-135K and I've past numerous Garda cars with guns out the window and I've got no points and not notices etc.

The inbuilt speedo gets less accurate the faster you go so running at 135K probably reads around 125k or there abouts on the radar.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

flamegrill wrote: »
    I've been up and down the M9 now about 2 dozen times in the past couple of months and I'd often set the cruise control to 130-135K and I've past numerous Garda cars with guns out the window and I've got no points and not notices etc.

The inbuilt speedo gets less accurate the faster you go so running at 135K probably reads around 125k or there abouts on the radar.

Paul

It shouldn't get less accurate. The inaccuracy will stay the same in percentage terms but the speed difference will grow. So if your speedo is 8% in accurate it will be 8% inaccurate at 10k and at 160k.
    In many countries the legislated error in speedometer readings is ultimately governed by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Regulation 39[3] which covers those aspects of vehicle type approval which relate to speedometers. The main purpose of the UNECE regulations is to facilitate trade in motor vehicles by agreeing uniform type approval standards rather than requiring a vehicle model to undergo different approval processes in each country in which it is to be sold.
    European Union member states must also grant type approval to vehicles meeting similar EU standards. The ones covering speedometers [4] [5][6] are similar to the UNECE regulation in that they specify that:
    The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading.
    The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at specified test speeds. For example, at 80 km/h, the indicated speed must be no more than 92 km/h.
    The standards specify both the limits on accuracy and many of the details of how it should be measured during the approvals process, for example that the test measurements should be made (for most vehicles) at 40, 80 and 120 km/h, and at a particular ambient temperature. There are slight differences between the different standards, for example in the minimum accuracy of the equipment measuring the true speed of the vehicle

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs21-40.html

Advertisement