Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that ISP

• 14-06-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Can you guess which ISP has been providing this level of service all day?

2luubdu.jpg

Some days it's just not worth opening the browser.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

VODAPHONE ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

eircon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's a Google IP you are pinging. Bad choice. Ping www.heanet.ie or www.boards.ie :)

The pings are sub 15ms, so either UPC or Magnet fibre and something is broken.

You can't get pings as low as that on DSL, Metro is at least 18ms and Mobile is > 75ms for iHSPA and > 110mS all other Mobile, Satellite is > 790ms. I think Imagine's not quite Mobile WiMax can't do pings < 40ms, not sure.

Fabulous pings when it does work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Reminds me of Vodafone :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

watty wrote: »
    It's a Google IP you are pinging. Bad choice. Ping www.heanet.ie or www.boards.ie :)

The pings are sub 15ms, so either UPC or Magnet fibre and something is broken.

You can't get pings as low as that on DSL, Metro is at least 18ms and Mobile is > 75ms for iHSPA and > 110mS all other Mobile, Satellite is > 790ms. I think Imagine's not quite Mobile WiMax can't do pings < 40ms, not sure.

Fabulous pings when it does work :)

Yup, it's that amazing UPC company. They should change their slogan to "We know something is wrong, but can't quite fix it after 3 years of trying".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Yup, it's that amazing UPC company. They should change their slogan to "We know something is wrong, but can't quite fix it after 3 years of trying".

Packet loss can be fixed by turning of the router firewall.

That makes no sense unless the Firewall SW/HW is broken. In such a case you then need a separate router. A firewall protects against many exploits that Windows built in firewall is usless for, like the recent Zero day Help & Support Remote control Exploit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what a shame. UPC is so hit and miss sometimes.

18805800.png

847810213.png

Server London lol, im on the 10mb package.

Ranicand wrote: »
    Packet loss can be fixed by turning of the router firewall.

I have the scientic atlanta modem, and my own separate router. They are configured correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

great ping though .........;)

• Advertisement

I have the scientic atlanta modem, and my own separate router. They are configured correctly.

Keep pestering UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I contacted UPC as last night it wasn't worth trying to open up the browser. They think there is a fault, which they are investigating and I am getting credited for the time lost. :)

angel01 wrote: »
    I contacted UPC as last night it wasn't worth trying to open up the browser. They think there is a fault, which they are investigating and I am getting credited for the time lost. :)

I wonder if I can get about 2 years credited back...They've never offered.

Advertisement