Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tour of switzerland

• 14-06-2010 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

nicholas roach had a gud ride today , did well in the final climb.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Preselected for the TDF by his team as well :D

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_4969.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

Cavendish's bad year continues. He was all over the place in the sprint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That was a really bad crash.Could see some retirements from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

OMG what a bad crash in the last 10m to the finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Looked like Haussler was going to beat Cavendish. Def Cav move off line and was the cause of the crash. Hope evreyone ok. Boonen was pretty quick on the brakes and who was the guy who went straight over the handlebars as he hit Cavendish? :eek:

sy wrote: »
    Looked like Haussler was going to beat Cavendish. Def Cav move off line and was the cause of the crash. Hope evreyone ok. Boonen was pretty quick on the brakes and who was the guy who went straight over the handlebars as he hit Cavendish? :eek:
    Milram guy? Ciolek (sp) maybe?
    I just watched the highlights... any news out on the aftermath? I can't believe that at least a few riders are out for a while after that one.

Well, Haussler's out anyway.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Milram guy? Ciolek (sp) maybe?
    I just watched the highlights... any news out on the aftermath? I can't believe that at least a few riders are out for a while after that one.
    Was watching it live on Eurosport, and they replayed a few times in slow motion. Horrible to see the carnage as they were probably doing 65km/hr at the time. Luckily they kept clear of the barriers. Poor Haussler, sorry to hear he is out as he was in great form. Cavendish is having a nightmarish year

• Advertisement

Our man Nico was near the front with a couple km to go. Wonder if he got away with it. There were lots of smaller crashes back though the group when the brakes went on...

Cav seems to have nothing but road rash (a LOT of road rash I bet) and bruises. Haven't heard more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Wonder will the injured guy now miss the tour. What of the other guy, surely his odds on doing the tour will be lengthening.
    Sorry on a bb so can't use spoilers.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Wonder will the injured guy now miss the tour. What of the other guy, surely his odds on doing the tour will be lengthening.
    Sorry on a bb so can't use spoilers.

cant see the point of spoilers TBH . we have picks and a video for feck sake .

but the guy on the ground hit it hard

Highlights on Eurosport2 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i have to say, if i was haussler, id be giving that manx twat a right could kick up the arse for his shambolic maneuvers

you could see clearly Haussler was winning the sprint, but then Cav careered into him, im not saying it was deliberate, but it certainly was reckless, and amateurish

he could have ended his TDF ride, ejit!

listing to euro sport you would think cav was the only one that fell .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That was brutal, really nasty looking.

Obviously Cavendish was at fault but, despite the handling skills these guys have, when you are going full tilt in a sprint like that in close proximity to other riders I'm always amazed at how few sprint crashes there are.

Hope he recovers in time for the tour, getting hit by all the bikes while he was on the deck was the worst part.

cav ok just real bad road rash gone for x rays ,he might start in the morning .

coyot broken hip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

jwshooter wrote: »
    cav ok just real bad road rash gone for x rays ,he might start in the morning .

coyot broken hip

columbia HTC should have to pay him compensation imo

terrible riding by Cav, have we seen the true Cav without that phenomenal lead out train????

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

any word on haussler yet,that lad never seems to get a good run of luck..on a good note though i think Niko stays in 11th for tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Good bit of body rolling there by cav and haussler.

What speed does a sprint hit generally?

Edit: In trying to find the answer myself i found this document: http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/MartinDocs/Sprint%20cycling%20performance%20review.pdf

And the formula for sprinting:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=117095&stc=1&d=1276642634

Edit2: It can be as high as 70-75km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Heres another video of the crash from eurosport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7CBWUmW0Yw

Looking at the way some of them fell I dont know how there wasnt more damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Though Cav does have to take some of the blame haussler had his head down for the entire sprint, so no way he could have seen Cav switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Stokolan wrote: »
    Heres another video of the crash from eurosport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7CBWUmW0Yw

Looking at the way some of them fell I dont know how there wasnt more damage done.

OT - The end of that video (1:09 to 1:20) ends all debate about helmet safety for me - 2 severe slams onto asphalt but they get up ok. Without a helmet they would be lucky to survive that impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont really get that crash cav comes across (completeley off his line imo) and hausslers shoulder hitds him on the thigh and then his front wheel slips away
    lookls really weird (just watching theslow mo in full screen on the last clip)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

As somebody on CyclingTips said, Zipp 1 Hed 0
    http://www.marca.com/albumes/2010/06/15/vuelta_suiza/index.html

so the wheel folded it certainly doesnt look from that photo that it happended as a result of the crash
    477988_M23.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Wheel looks fine up to this point.
    000_Par3300778.jpg

The wheel didn't just fold and cause the crash, of course it looks dramatic when you take a still image of something like that. Haussler runs over wheel, wheel snaps, bang!

As for helmets, well they are racing in a tight bunch at high speed and going hell for leather, I would hope they would be wearing them. If Tom Boonen weren't ~80-90Kg of bike, man, and equipment riding on narrow wheels, I don't think it would make much of a difference what Cav were wearing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Someone with a better knowledge of physics than me might explain it better, but this has come up before, such as when Marcus Burghardt folded a Lightweight when he hit a dog in the 2007 Tour. I remember reading that essentially the wheel is subject to sideways force, with the full weight of the rider behind it and pretty much any rim would buckle in the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Raam wrote: »
    Wheel looks fine up to this point.
    000_Par3300778.jpg
    Actually, it looks to me like the hub is off centre and there *may* be broken spokes in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Wheel looks slightly turned to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

x2_1a33a56

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

Maybe Cavandish was attempting to do his trademark two finger salute early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

2 minute delay at the start of todays stage in protest at Cavendish's lack of respect for other riders.

**edit**
    Eurosport commentators just said that protest was by Haussler's teammates because Cavendish didn't apologise but they don't think he has anything to apologise for :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I took the liberty of resizing those pics of bellend Cavendish falling. It's mad how the wheel rim appears to regain its shape after it has collapsed and been ridden over. I would never have thought carbon rims would have been so resilient following such big deflections. The snap back into shape seems to have produced a load of energy, check out the dust cloud!

124.jpg

123.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

so the wheel folded it certainly doesnt look from that photo that it happended as a result of the crash
    477988_M23.jpg

Consider the speed a typical sprint involves, and the enormous forces being applied by the rider on the bike. Once these forces are no longer applied in the intended directions the energy has to be displaced else where. That is in an uncontrolled or intended manner hence the wheel collapsing immediately following Cavandish's initial contact with Haussler.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

x2_1a33a56
    he can't even make his bed,never mind ride a bloody bike eh:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

The physics of opening a box of tea bags applies here. A bastard at first until you make the first nick and then it just falls open.

I was watching Burghardt hit that dog live...oh my...5 years ago. He was barely moving.

Anyhoo, these carbon fibre wheels have no lateral strength, obviously.

The fact that they bounce back is a bit misleading, as it will have a crease in it just like bending a piece of metal and will be seriously fatigued and weak along that seam.

But that's neither here nor there as clearly Cavendish's wheel fell into quicksand....very unlucky.

Glad he's ok. Any news on the other riders?

• Advertisement

wet stage today 4km left ,high lites ,did not hear or see of cav .fast descending in the wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭scooters

ColSheehan wrote: »

Looked pretty bad, probably doing 50kph+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

I thought he controlled it quite well. Even managed to clip out as soon as he knew he'd no grip...heroic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I thought he controlled it quite well.

+1. Both wheels sliding- Chapeau.

Caused by a broken cable apparently. No major injuries. I thought he might have taken a few spectators out but apparently they're ok - here.

I bet LA really puckered up on those roads.

<goes off to check cables>

Queen stage today :D.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Caused by a broken cable apparently. No major injuries. I thought he might have taken a few spectators out but apparently they're ok - here.

I bet LA really puckered up on those roads.

<goes off to check cables>

Queen stage today :D.

+1 mechanic looking for a new job ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

2 minute delay at the start of todays stage in protest at Cavendish's lack of respect for other riders.

**edit**
    Eurosport commentators just said that protest was by Haussler's teammates because Cavendish didn't apologise but they don't think he has anything to apologise for :rolleyes:

According to cyclingnews Cav was seen spitting at Haussler just after the crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

x2_1a33a56

Would you like salt and vinegar on those Mark.:D
    Tosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

can anyone confirm that Cavendish has been pulled out of the race?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8745840.stm

• Advertisement
Advertisement