Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini digger hire

• 14-06-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations for mini digger hire in/around Kilcock?

Really just need it for a few hours in an evening ideally, but guessing I'll have to hire for minimum 1 day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What about a someone with a jcb? or does it have to be a mini digger for a side passage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Yea, side passage is only 8ft wide, so nothing wider than your average car really.

Semi-d in an estate you see :)

I know a chap out that way with a jcb he would have done it for you probably cheaper than a rental would cost you. Doesn't matter now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭davetherave

Have you tried the hire place on connaught street? Presuming it's still open of course may or may not have mini diggers but I think thats the only place around Kilcock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

see if you can get some one with one, they are not easy to operate, I got one for a day and it takes nearly that to get used to it, guy in hire company said 50% of them that come back have knocked a wall/porch/gate or taken the side out of a car! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ah they are not that hard to use. just take it easy. and if you worried about hitting stuff just keep it in low revs and you should not get your self into trouble.

when digging though you will need to kee it in high revs.

Have you tried the hire place on connaught street? Presuming it's still open of course may or may not have mini diggers but I think thats the only place around Kilcock

Thanks, will have a look down that way later.

Tried haven in maynooth this morning, looking at about 200euro incl delivery for a 3/4 tonne or a 1.5, both are about the same price.

To be honest I was hoping to get one a little cheaper than that, there's a sign advertising a 3 tonne out on the maynooth road, might get his number later.

i would get the 1.5 t if it fits. the 3/4 t not wourth the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

I got one from http://www.diggers.ie/diggers_diggers.html based in Naas.
    Got the hang of it in about an hour and ended up moving about 100 tons of topsoil over 2 days. Prices were negotiable but after delivery it worked out around 80/90 per day.
    1.5 ton would fit on a small trailer .....

although a 1.5 t will fit on a small trailer ( correct me if i am wrong here) but you need to have a substantially heavier vehicle to tow that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

I got the digger delivered in the evening and picked up the next evening.
    The guy just picks it up from one site and drops it at another.
    The trailer reference meant that you could collect it from them directly, maybe avoiding the delivery charge (€30).
    I've a 1.9 TDI Passat that pulls a 2 ton load (trailer + contents) fairly handy.

Navan hire might be a place to try, have seen them in celbridge, chances are they will do killcock

Jokesetal wrote: »
    I've a 1.9 TDI Passat that pulls a 2 ton load (trailer + contents) fairly handy.

i know what you meant. but legally i think there is a vehicle / cargo weight ratio that needs to be adhered to be legal .

just to be careful of that one

Martron wrote: »
    i know what you meant. but legally i think there is a vehicle / cargo weight ratio that needs to be adhered to be legal .

Is 750kg the limit you can tow on a licence without upgrading it? It is for 'C' anyway, does 'B' escape for some reason?

i cant honestly tell you. but i know that some of the jeeps in work needed to be changed so they could tow the likes of minidiggers and rollers and stuff.

its not as simple as hookin it up and moving it. although a passat would be well able to do it. if anything happened it could possibly land you in it if it was found to be exceeding the tow limit

If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500 kg or
    (2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg.
    If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

The holder of a driving licence in category C1, C, D1 or D may tow a trailer provided the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg. Categories EC1, EC, ED1 or ED (depending on the towing vehicle) must be held in order to tow trailers in excess of 750 kg.

Taken from: http://www.transport.ie/roads/licens...g=ENG&loc=1836

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

kdouglas wrote: »
    Thanks, will have a look down that way later.

Tried haven in maynooth this morning, looking at about 200euro incl delivery for a 3/4 tonne or a 1.5, both are about the same price.

To be honest I was hoping to get one a little cheaper than that, there's a sign advertising a 3 tonne out on the maynooth road, might get his number later.

200! woah.

The company i work for and most of them in the midlands get about 120!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Martron wrote: »

just to be careful of that one

I was under the impression the towing vehicle had to be heavier than the trailer due to jacknife upon braking. Might be wrong, but if im not if you break fast your trailor might keep going and ye may loose control

yep we found out the criteria a few posts up.

and i believe if you have a duel axel trailer you need a 4x4

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the help lads, decided it wasnt worth the cost and just got in with a pick and a shovel tonight, have most of it broken up and the ol' fella is coming over during the week to help me dump it into the skip, in no rush really so spending a few evenings digging it out by hand is worth saving 200euro for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

kdouglas wrote: »
    Cheers for all the help lads, decided it wasnt worth the cost and just got in with a pick and a shovel tonight, have most of it broken up and the ol' fella is coming over during the week to help me dump it into the skip, in no rush really so spending a few evenings digging it out by hand is worth saving 200euro for me.

That sounds like the best and most sensible option. I have a 3/4 ton takeuchi mini, a way to move it, and we still do almost all our digging by hand. By the time you are done farting about with the getting it there, in and able to operate, its usually done already with a bit of sweat. The old HB1 is often the fastest for small areas.

Advertisement