Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hahnel Triad 100 Tripod

• 14-06-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Is anybody using a Hahnel Tripod? Are they any good?
    This is the one I was looking at:
    http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=tripods&id=36&pId=36

I had a play with the Triad 100 in a local camera shop. It seems quite
    solid and well made.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I have the Triad 30 here in work, use it for product and macro shots with a D300. Well worth €40!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Arciphel wrote: »
    I have the Triad 30 here in work, use it for product and macro shots with a D300. Well worth €40!

Thanks Arciphel. The 50 and 100 are available locally. Both are all metal
    construction and they seem fairly strong. Prices are €50 and €90. The
    50 has a tilt/pan head, the 100 has a ball head.

The 50 is not quite tall enough for me, so I think I will get
    the 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Yeah, I have seen the 100 model down in Petes in Blanchardstown shopping centre, it looks like a pretty sturdy peice of kit alright. The ball head seemed fairly robust to me. What body & lens will you be using on it? I would say it should support a normal dSLR pretty perfectly. The only thing I would say to you though, if you are looking to spend €100 maybe you might do better buying something like a SLIK tripod online, you might get ore for the same money?

Arciphel wrote: »
    What body & lens will you be using on it? I would say it should support a normal dSLR pretty perfectly.

The heaviest thing it will see is a Canon 500D and Sigma 70-300mm. Well within the
    claimed 5kg spec. Although I have noticed that the maximum load spec for
    cheap tripods seems to be inversely proportional to the price :)
    The only thing I would say to you though, if you are looking to spend €100 maybe you might do better buying something like a SLIK tripod online, you might get ore for the same money?

I have a few on the shortlist including the cheaper SLIK models, the
    Vanguard 203/233 and the Hahnel. These seem to offer good price/performance.
    Cheaper tripods like the "Fancier" look flash, but they are not quite solid
    enough.

Thanks again. I will let you know how I get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

hbr wrote: »
    Is anybody using a Hahnel Tripod? Are they any good?
    This is the one I was looking at:
    http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=tripods&id=36&pId=36

I had a play with the Triad 100 in a local camera shop. It seems quite
    solid and well made.

Many Thanks.
    Yeah, that's the one I have. It's fairly strong but I find the ball head a bit inflexible/slow to adjust at times but maybe I'm too fussy. Some kind of quick adjust would be better.

I made the mistake of trying to shorted the built-in monopod and regretted it. I cut an inch off the bottom only to discover that it doesn't fold back up afterwards! Just be aware the monopod is quite tall and can't be adjusted.

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the one I have. It's fairly strong but I find the ball head a bit inflexible/slow to adjust at times but maybe I'm too fussy. Some kind of quick adjust would be better.

I noticed the ball head was a little stiff. I put that down to being brand new
    and the fact that the socket side isn't made of plastic.
    I made the mistake of trying to shorted the built-in monopod and regretted it. I cut an inch off the bottom only to discover that it doesn't fold back up afterwards! Just be aware the monopod is quite tall and can't be adjusted.

Thanks for the tip. I'm 6ft 3in so I usually have the opposite problem. The
    damn things are never quite long enough.

hbr wrote: »

Thanks again. I will let you know how I get on with it.

I bought the Hahnel Triad 100 a couple of weeks ago. It
    turned out to be a disappointing tripod. It fell apart completely
    yesterday, so I returned it for a refund. The plate that holds
    the ball head doesn't fit the threads on top of the centre column.
    Once the sticky stuff that holds it on let go, the entire plate and
    attached ball head came off. Luckily, I wasn't using it with the
    centre column inverted for a close-up shot or my camera would
    have ended up on the ground.

Advertisement