Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove odour from boots?!

• 14-06-2010 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I have a nice pair of boots (hi-tech ones, a bit of a hybrid between normal and hiking boots). Anyway they look great but by god have they begun to smell. I have tried everything - baking soda (failed), spraying with domestos inside to kill bacteria (failed), tea-tree oil (failed and made smell worse for a time due to overpowering tea tree oil smell), extended UV sunlight exposure (failed). Am I flogging a dead horse or is there a remedy natural or otherwise to restore them to their natural glory. They look perfect outside but society will not tolerate the odour my good boardsies. Help me with a fix or to see reason!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

strange subject for a DIY section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Why not - I have boots and I want to do it myself?!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Put a load of baking soda & salt into the boots & put boots into a sealed plastic bag for a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Scholl do an antibacterial spray for feet ,but it actually gets rid of smells in shoes/boots.
    front.jpg
    Mine weren't too bad ,took a couple of times to get rid of smell.Sprayed a good bit into them each time.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Scholl do an antibacterial spray for feet ,but it actually gets rid of smells in shoes/boots.
    front.jpg
    Mine weren't too bad ,took a couple of times to get rid of smell.Sprayed a good bit into them each time.

Really? Good idea any idea where to pick this up?

• Advertisement

Goodne wrote: »
    Put a load of baking soda & salt into the boots & put boots into a sealed plastic bag for a couple of days.

Salt? Are you sure or pulling my leg?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

tommy21 wrote: »
    Really? Good idea any idea where to pick this up?

Most pharmacies sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

its a bit of a hi tec thing-i got 4 pairs cheap in tkmax and they turned into right stinkers rapido. you can get rid of the smell by putting them in the bin. shame though,cos theyre nice and comfy.

dunsandin wrote: »
    its a bit of a hi tec thing-i got 4 pairs cheap in tkmax and they turned into right stinkers rapido. you can get rid of the smell by putting them in the bin. shame though,cos theyre nice and comfy.

What the hell?! I bought my pair there too. I had actually replaced them with ones I bought in a different shoe store, but they wore away far too quickly so got my money back on them. Decided to give the old ones another go but hence my post here. My gf bought hers in TK Max too, same problem! Pity as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

tommy21 wrote: »
    What the hell?! I bought my pair there too. I had actually replaced them with ones I bought in a different shoe store, but they wore away far too quickly so got my money back on them. Decided to give the old ones another go but hence my post here. My gf bought hers in TK Max too, same problem! Pity as you say.

How the H did you manage that? After a couple of days i would be embarrased to bring mine into the dump unless they were vacum sealed.:)

• Advertisement

dunsandin wrote: »
    How the H did you manage that? After a couple of days i would be embarrased to bring mine into the dump unless they were vacum sealed.:)

Sorry when I say wore away, I meant the leather/canvas on one inner side had begun to peel away (go all "furry" if you know what I mean). All other sides were fine so it was obviously poor material. It was more than a month on but they gave me my money back as they had no other ones in that size. I got some odour stuff for shoes today from boots, here's hoping! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

best thing for that is a bottle of lighter fluid and a box of matches. The smell will be gone within minutes:D

matches.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    31axf9k0hglsl500aa300.jpg

Advertisement