Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphone broken

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Pretty much as it says in the title. I suspect the microphone on my Nokia E51 is broken as people find it very difficult to hear me (I need to shake the phone in order to be heard), though if I hit a button on the keypad it comes across perfectly.

I was thinking of looking at getting it fixed/replaced and was wondering if anybody could tell me a) roughly how much it would cost and b) if it would be worth it. The phone is perfect otherwise as it's only about a year old. I was just clumsy and dropped it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its still in warranty. You could send it in for repair, they might do it free of charge if you forgot to mention you dropped it.

It wouldn't cost a whole lot really if they did charge you, the part is cheap would be mostly time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Davy wrote: »
    Its still in warranty. You could send it in for repair, they might do it free of charge if you forgot to mention you dropped it.

Not sure if I still have the receipt. I moved house shortly after i bought it, so have a feeling the receipt got lost in transit. :(
    It wouldn't cost a whole lot really if they did charge you, the part is cheap would be mostly time.

I wouldn't mind paying a bit for it as it's a good phone and would probably last a lot longer than a cheap replacement phone.

You wont need the receipt, they can check the warranty themselves. MPRC or fonemenders is the place to go. Either post it to them, or drop it in if you can. You will find the locations on their websites.

Thanks a million for your help!

No probs, let us know how you get on with it

• Advertisement

Will do. Thanks again!

Ok, I know it's been a while since I posted this thread initially, but I promised I'd let you know how I got on with the phone, so here I am...

I decided to go through the Vodafone route seeing as I bought the phone from them and it's still in warranty. They were really helpful and explained the whole repair process to me. All fine. Sent the phone off for repair. No problems there. Got the phone back in about 10 days, but the microphone still doesn't seem to be working, despite the fact they claim it was tested.

I now have to hold the bottom of the phone (where the cables and charger plug in) to my mouth in order to be heard (and even then it doesn't always work properly!), which means I also have to put anyone who calls on speaker or else I wouldn't be able to hear them!

So it looks like I'll be bringing the phone back to Vodafone and getting them to take another look at it. I decided to stick with the Vodafone route for the time being and see how the second attempt goes.

I probably should look into getting some of the other companies to deal with it if Vodafone can't repair it this time.

Well Vodafone don't actually have anything to do with the fixing, they simply post it on your behalf. Take it back to them, and tell them if a working permanent repair doesn't come back you want a replacement, give it to them in writing if need be.

Well Vodafone don't actually have anything to do with the fixing, they simply post it on your behalf. Take it back to them, and tell them if a working permanent repair doesn't come back you want a replacement, give it to them in writing if need be.

Apparently if a phone is 'repaired' three times and still doesn't work, they'll give me a replacement phone (or so I was told, but I'm open to correction), hence the reason I went through them. But yeah, I'm going to have a chat with them this week and tell them that it's really not good enough... Putting it in writing is a good idea, too; I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Just to update you on how I got on sending the phone back for the second time:

Sent it through Vodafone again. The girl was very nice and helpful and a bit p*ssed off with the repair company that they hadn't fixed it the first time, so she kindly wrote a note informing them that it was the second time in as many weeks that the phone was back for repair.

Anyway, this time, instead of repairing the microphone, the repair company replaced the microphone. And, guess what, it's working and people can actually hear me now! Happy days!

So if you send your phone for repair and it's not fixed the first time, send it back again, as it would appear that only the minimum amount of work 'repairing' the phone is done the first time. It's taken a little more seriously the second time.

Also, a word of warning: if you're sending your phone to be repaired, make sure you do it through the mobile operator you're with as if you send it back in an independent capacity the policy of replacing the phone after three failed attempts at repairing it doesn't apply.

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    Also, a word of warning: if you're sending your phone to be repaired, make sure you do it through the mobile operator you're with as if you send it back in an independent capacity the policy of replacing the phone after three failed attempts at repairing it doesn't apply.

Not true, if you have the docket from the repair centre with the details on it, this will hold up valid. Going strictly on consumer law, yes they always advise returning to where you made the purchase.

Not true, if you have the docket from the repair centre with the details on it, this will hold up valid. Going strictly on consumer law, yes they always advise returning to where you made the purchase.

I asked my brother to drop it in directly to a repair place, and they were informed that it wouldn't count as a 'repair' unless it was through Vodafone. I asked in Vodafone when I eventually got around to dropping it in to them, and they said the same thing.

So is it a case of them just not wanting to deal with it directly or just trying to get away with a direct repair not counting towards the three strikes?

Not sure where my brother went to drop it in; all I know is that it was in Dublin.

ETA: Just thought the post read a little short so wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to undermine or attack you. Just trying to figure out why, if it does hold up, I was told otherwise (though that's probably one for CI rather than here! :pac:)

Once its in with MPRC who is vodafones registered repair agent, they should accept it. To probably avoid incidents where it was sent to fonemenders or elsewhere they are probably saying this blanket ban.

Advertisement