Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Summer of Arcade 2010

• 14-06-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭

http://ie.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/109/1097346p1.html
    Microsoft didn't mention Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) at all during its E3 2010 press conference today. But shortly after the conference concluded the company sent out a press release unveiling the lineup for the third annual Summer of Arcade promotion. This is the late-summer event when Microsoft releases its most promising XBLA games in consecutive weeks.

What can you look forward to this year?

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    Limbo
    Monday Night Combat.

Summer of Arcade will begin next month.

Very much looking forward to this. Strange Hydrophobia isn't on that list.

So I'm guessing a good few will have exclusivity/ 1 year timed exclusivity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Montage trailer.... Love the look of Limbo. Not sure about a co-op castlevania though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Castlevania!

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Limbo is the only one that interests me in any way. Was interested in Castlevania until I saw it seem multiplayer only? If there's single player too I'd probably pick it up. Wanted Shadow Complex 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Castlevania looks so purty. As does Limbo with it's amazing graphical style. Hydro Thunder looks like fun too. Not sure about Monday Night Combat though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Haggis The Dog

Not been vry impressed with arcade releases lately so looking forward to some decent summer blockbusters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Maybe if I hold off a year I'll get them half price like the gems I picked up yesterday. Trails and Shadow complex are top class games, just find it hard to cough up 1200 on them.

Not sure about this years offerings, lara croft looks like a scrolling zombie apocalypse or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

No Secret of Monkey Island 2? Awww :(
    Still, gives me time to play Shadow Complex ... 560 points for this classic game. Thank you very much... :pac:

No Secret of Monkey Island 2? Awww :(

Ah yeah feck it I'd forgotten about that. Was sure that was going to be part. Looks like we'll be waiting a bit longer. Poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Crap, none of them arcade titles do it for me unfortunately.

Bring on the new Bomberman Live game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Ah yeah feck it I'd forgotten about that. Was sure that was going to be part. Looks like we'll be waiting a bit longer. Poo.

MI2:SE has already been dated for July 7th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Mr E wrote: »
    Montage trailer.... Love the look of Limbo. Not sure about a co-op castlevania though...

WTF is that thing on 0:38 secs and how do we get it to go back to the Gameboy Advance where it belongs?

Castlevania game looks like a GBA port tbh, v poor and worse than the graphics of Symphony of the Night which was a PS1 port ffs! Talk about lazy! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

WTF is that thing on 0:38 secs and how do we get it to go back to the Gameboy Advance where it belongs?

Castlevania game looks like a GBA port tbh, v poor and worse than the graphics of Symphony of the Night which was a PS1 port ffs! Talk about lazy! :mad:

Meh, I'm perfectly happy with a DS game upscaled to be honest. I've played all the newer Castlevania games and they're excellent. You want shiny graphics, Castlevania 3D is out on the 360 later this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/06/summer-of-arcade-xbla-games-dated-and-priced/
    Microsoft's suggestion for how to pass those hot summer afternoons: spend 1200 Microsoft Points ($15), repeatedly. The company released the official dates and prices for the XBLA games in this year's Summer of Arcade promotion -- or, rather, dates and price, since they all share the aforementioned 1200 MSP price tag.

Like last year's Summer of Arcade, purchasing all five games in this year's lineup entitles the buyer to a 1200-point rebate (essentially buy four, get one free). Additionally, if you buy three of the five, you'll get 400 MSP back! As for the release schedule:

•Limbo: July 21
    •Hydro Thunder Hurricane: July 28
    •Castlevania: Harmony of Despair: August 4
    •Monday Night Combat: August 11
    •Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light: August 18

Hmm, 1200 points seems a bit much for some games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

rizzla wrote: »

didn't i say this up there ^ about last years. Good just not €12-15 good. Not sure I'll be able to wait this time if someone shouts "hey, this is as good as shadow complex" though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

calex71 wrote: »
    didn't i say this up there ^ about last years. Good just not €12-15 good. Not sure I'll be able to wait this time if someone shouts "hey, this is as good as shadow complex" though :D

Agreed, i'm always willing to splash out 800MSP on a game if i hear great things but 1200MSP for some reason always makes me a bit wary about buying it. I didn't buy Trials HD, Shadow Complex or BF1943 until they were discounted in some form. In fact I don't think i've paid 1200MSP for any of my arcade games.

I also have a tendancy to impulse buy 800MSP games that are on sale for 400MSP (most of the time it's worth it though! :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I watched the first 15 minutes of Limbo on Giant Bomb and it looks phenomenal. A really beautiful puzzle platform game. Check out the video here.

Its the only game that is a 100% buy for me.
    The other possibility is Castlevania, but only if it plays well as a single player (and I have my doubts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Yeah Limbo looks brilliant and is the one I will be buying. The giantbomb first look gives a great impression of the game.

Monday Night Combat and Hydro Thunder are maybe's for me, pending good reviews.

The other 2 I'm not that interested in. I saw a vid of Castlevania and it's like a time trial or something, which in itself kills any exploration. I hope it's not all timed, I'd be interested if it wasn't.

Limbo is the only one I'm definitely buying, had no intention of even play Lara Craft, but it's been getting a few positive notices around the place, so I'm definitely going to check it out now. The others I don't have much of an interest in, will see what reviews and other people's opinions are of them first, and download the trial.

Advertisement