Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

costs involved with buying ???

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping to purchase an appartment under the affordable housing scheme in the coming weeks (fingers crossed) but I'm completely clueless as to the costs involved !!
    I know I'll have to get a solocitor but how much will this cost .. I've heard as little as €500 and as much as €2000 !!!
    Also, will I have to pay for a valuation or suructural survey (its a new appartment) or do the bank do the lenders do their own valuation report ??
    is there any other cost involved that I need to be aware of ??
    Like I said - clueless so any advise would be appreciated !!

thanks
    A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

see here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/owning-a-home/buying-a-home/costs_of_buying_a_home
    after moving in go to the bank, fill in forms to claim tax credits for mortgage tax relief.Send the form to the tax office ,see revenue.ie for info.
    the bank may ask you to get a survey, if its like under 5 years old it should not be necessary to get a structural survey.
    the average for legal fees is 1.5 percent of the house price.
    google search legal fees house purchase dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Here are the steps involved. For AH, there might be one or two additional steps with the council.

As for average legal fees of 1.5% of purchase price, maybe back before the boom, but these days it's typically a fixed rate ranging from €1000 to €2500 depending on property etc. I'd say the average is about €1500. Get a few quotes from solicitors, and get recommendations. See if any family or friends have dealt with someone they were happy with.

You usually have to pay for a valuation yourself, average price is about €150 for an apt. Again shop around.

Other costs:
    Life assurance
    Deposits for Gas and Elec
    Contents insurance
    TV licence
    Management Fees
    Removals

And don't forget, sometimes the homes are not fully finished so you'll need to get things like tiling, flooring, window coverings done etc. So budget for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies ...

I have some money saved and I do have to furniture, floors etc but I want to know what I have to spend on all the little extras involved in buying a property so I can budget for the nice bits :-)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Good advice and good luck with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

WELL theres management, service charges , they can be 1500/2000 plus per year, every area has different charges.There not part of the actual purchase price.
    theres firm s doing fixed price conveyancing.home purchase,
    see http://www.moving.ie/conveyancing/buying.php
    google buying home legal fees ie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement