Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gettin rid of horse tail or mares tail

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi all
    my recently planted flower beds are being taken over by what i think is horse tail or maybe its called mares tail . its a bitch, ive pulled it out but it comes back just as quick. its growing straight through the weed control sheeting.
    how can i get rid or even reduce.
    can somebody help please:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This is an extremly resilliant weed and I've seen flower beds dug out and grassed over beacuse of it...
    You can try roundup or the like but you will need to keep it off your flowers/shrubs or anything you want to keep...

One method I've seen work is to bruise up/damage the stems as this increases the intake of the weedkiller. Paint on the weedkiller with sponge/brush to avoid overspray onto neighbouring plants...

Pulling, cuting or hoeing are useless as there are huge roots on this plants and it will grow form any fragments left in the soil (this would make hoeing a no-no).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

This stuff is hard to eliminate. As bbam has said, Roundup is good, but you'll have to keep applying it until all growth stops.

A tip: put on a rubber glove, then a woollen glove over it. You can now dip the gloved hand in the weedkiller and then rub it onto the foliage of the weeds, making sure not to let it drip onto your flowers.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Polynomial wrote: »

A tip: put on a rubber glove, then a wollen glove over it. You can now dip the gloved hand in the weedkiller and then rub it onto the foliage of the weeds

Brilliant tip...:)

Advertisement