Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rocky road to my first Half...

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Little bit of background. Ex powerlifter. Training jujitsu about 1.5 years now. Im running about 3 months as i needed to get my fitness up for a grading and well im hooked! ive dont a 5k a 10k and a relay leg in the cork marathon. Id like to attempt my first half sometime this year. I havent decided which one yet as there are so many!

I'm going to follow the Hal Higdon novice program. if i can find a balance between it and jujitsu ill be happy. Ill be switching some of the days around slightly. All thoughts and advice are welcome!

Today:

3 mile run.

Also spent some quality time with a foam roller tonight...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Picture-3-400x315.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Welcome on board. What kind of times did you have for the 5 and 10k? What are you aiming for in the half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

the 5k was 26 min
    the 10k was 1hr 3 min ( things went really wrong here :P )
    and the 5.3 miles in cork was 47 minutes...

ill be happy to complete the half in under 2 hours to be honest.

Tonight

Jujitus 1hr 30 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Never thought i'd see you over here!

Best of luck with the new log, the half and maybe afterwards, maybe even a marathon??!!

you said you were aiming for longford in sept? Maybe Dublin Mara in Oct?

Anyway - best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much!

i never thought id see myself over here...alot has changed in the past year!!!

im aiming for around the aug/sept time for my first half...not sure which one yet...it all depends on work/training...

I dont know about a full just yet!!! maybe limerick next year :P

Tonight

Cross training...30 min on the road bike covering 8 miles...nothing too hetic

Tonight

3m run tonight...nothing special. going to have to do my 4 mile tomorrow i think ive a funeral to go to sunday.

I also did a weights session this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck with the training for the half and it'll be no bother to you to do it sub-2 :)

shazkea wrote: »
    Good luck with the training for the half and it'll be no bother to you to do it sub-2 :)

Thank you!

sub 2 will be an achievement for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

good luck with the training. Loads of choice for a half in Augist/September. galway, longford, national half, addidas race series in dublin off the top of my head. Im sure there are more. Just pick one and go for it. Did my first half in waterford last December and definitely one of my running highlights, not that the time was anything special. Only problerm is you probably wont be happy and will keep hearing that little voice asking how hard a full can be.

4 miler

35:40

I got this all wrong...i had no watch so i was using a timer cliped to my belt...the first 2 miles i ran too fast...but the last mile i had cramped badly..i walked about 100 meters of it...glad i still kept it at around a 9 minute mile though

P.S me no lilke the heat

Tonight

some weight training and a 3 miler...

was al pearl jam last night....seriously hungover today :P

Tonight

another 3 miles. was meant to have jujitus afterwards but there was a fire at our dojo :( and its only a week old!

Today

4 miles.....i really dont like the heat!!!...week 2 of the program down and all seems well so far!

Ive also put my entry in for the dublin 10 mile and half marathon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Hi,
    I'm starting week two myself of the novice plan. I do kickboxing twice a week, so at the moment I'm only running 3 times a week.
    Good luck with the log :)

Tonight

3.87 miles...run felt great this evening....read my training program wrong and though it was a 2 mile run...looked at the program at 5:23 and just thought ah S*it :P

Tonight

Cross fit Fran. 21/15/9 40kg thrusters/pullups 14:32

HIIT

30 min of intervals on the bike

4 sets of pulldown abs after

Tonight

3.5 mile in 30 min 51 seconds

metcon

11 rounds of cindy in 15 minutes....5 pullups 10 pushups 15 bw squats...ewwwhhhh

30:51 works out at an average of 8.85 minutes or something like 8 min 50 seconds per mile....this is my first time my average was below 9 minutes well happy with it... shows some progress...ive decided to do a metcon a day for july... i regret this now..

10 mile cycle on the road bike

metcon

60kg front squat 21x24kg kettle bell swings 20 situps for rounds for time...4 rounds in 15 minutes...a poor performance

5 mile run tomorrow looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

Today

5 miles 50 min on the button

horrible run...weather was awful and i messed up my carbs this morning too...

walked a decent bit between 2.5 -3.5

but the last 1.5 miles were acutally the best of the whole run...

Did the 3.5 mile on monday

Last night 20 minutes on the road bike

Im in call this week so very little sleep being had. Im due to do a 3.5 mile tonight....but i aint been to bed yet with work so not looking good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Did the 3.5 mile on monday

Last night 20 minutes on the road bike

Im in call this week so very little sleep being had. Im due to do a 3.5 mile tonight....but i aint been to bed yet with work so not looking good :(

That sucks balls ... i'd hate to be bo on call with a job. That's why i am enjoying my freedom while it lasts. I do not think i can push off the *real*& world any longer. Damn should have done a masters!

Today

5 miles 48 minutes

Ran this 5 miler by myself and it couldnt have gone better...first day with my garmin 305 and its brilliant for keeping the pace... there was a 2 minute stop in the middle of this to take on water and respond to a call ( still on call till 9am tomorrow ) im delighted i got this in thought this week had gone to waste...i honestly felt i could have kept going easily after the 5 mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Today

5 miles 48 minutes

Ran this 5 miler by myself and it couldnt have gone better...first day with my garmin 305 and its brilliant for keeping the pace... there was a 2 minute stop in the middle of this to take on water and respond to a call ( still on call till 9am tomorrow ) im delighted i got this in thought this week had gone to waste...i honestly felt i could have kept going easily after the 5 mile!

Well done on the run and sounds like you really enjoyed it. Gotta love Garmins - I think it has def been one of my best purchases to date!

Last night

4 miles... 38 minutes...with hills..

another good run...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Last night

4 miles... 38 minutes...with hills..

another good run...

god that's brilliant going, you're flying it!

what kind of garmin did you buy? i'm in the market for one at the moment. where is the best place to buy, online or in a store? today is the first day of my new running training, need to get from 5km (28 mins) to 16km with hills in 6 weeks- in time for gaelforce!

Hi there i bought a 305 and i got it from pixmania.ie came in at roughly 200 delivered and had it in 2 days....so far a good investment and i havent started uploading it to google maps or anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Hi there i bought a 305 and i got it from pixmania.ie came in at roughly 200 delivered and had it in 2 days....so far a good investment and i havent started uploading it to google maps or anything yet

pixmania are great.. gonna bite the bullet and purchase now. I really only want the basic model though, for pace etc..

What are you at now tonite training wise? rain has come in!

• Advertisement

Tonight ive jujitsu! and a metcon at some stage... not due to run again till thursday

Advertisement