Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rocky road to my first Half...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

jujitsu last night and 17k of mountain biking this morning....least my cross training is interesting!

4 miles in 41 minutes including 3 1 min stops to stretch my calves as they were in bits from MTB'ing yesterday...

it appears im quite happy holding a 10 min mile pace :P

6.2 miles in 61 minutes.... done the 6.2 just to get the 10k in...

im starting to not feel as bad about the 10 miler :P

4 miles last night in 44 minutes...my stomach started playing up at 2.7 miles..so much so that i emptied the contents of it into a bin...dunno what happened really...the 4 miles felt harder than the 10k on saturday...

4 miles in 37 minutes tonight...in the lashing rain and after a gym session and i loved every minute of it...havent ran in rain like that since cork....

alot of people out running tonight and ive started to get "the nod" from other runners...

• Advertisement

edit: also jujitsu last night too

Saturday 5k in 27 minutes

tonight 4.5 miles in 43 minutees....well happy with this time...

another 4.5 miles tonight inm 44 minutes....

7 miler coming up on sunday...

Today

7 miles 1hr 14 minutes...kept it as best to 11 min mile i could for this...felt grand afterwards...was soooo tempted too push on for the ten mile.

edit:this is also the longest distance ive ever ran

Right was on call last week and got a bad week of it and was at a wedding the weeknd...so just did 3 miles last night to losen out again...plan is too do a 5 miler wednesday and a 9 miler the weekend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Where are you doing Jujitsu?

Waza kai jujitsu
    Under mike carroll
    St geard street

PM me if ya want details around costs etc as i dont want people to think im shilling here :P

Wewdnesday

horrible 5 miler...at the end i finally gave in to the stubboreness and realised i was sick :(

Today

9 miles in 1hr 36 minutes...the aim for the 10 miler was 1:40 ill be doing well to hit it...

Today wasnt the best run ever but its a distance PB. Fair warm out there too.

dunno what too do now for the week up to the 10 miler...

id say get two short runs on over the week - maybe tue nand thurs. Something like a 4 miler and a 3 miler and rest on friday and you set up for saturday. Maybe a CT session in between.

So im out for tomorrow...the last 2 weeks have been useless training wise coupled with some very stressful work projects and losing my running partner for tomorrow at the 11th hour ive just no interest in driving 2hrs to dublin by myself at 6am...ill look to get

from here im going to drop my LSR'S back to 8 miles 9 10 and 11 before the half as i missed my eight and was not happy with my 9 i feel i will really need the 4 weeks of decent training and to get all my runs in if im going to attempt the half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

You were right not to do it.

But you better nail that ****ing half!

edit: dont think i can say that in here its not fitness :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Pity about today but best of luck over the next few weeks with the Half training. :)

Yesterday

30 min cross training HIIT on the bike and some conditioning stuff in UL just to losen up and get the mind clear again

Today

8 mile in 1hr 23 min im delighted with this..some nice hills in it aswell.

4.7 miles tonight 45 min. second session of the day too.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 5 miles 45 min

Today 9 miles 1:34:12

the 9 felt horrible...ive been off work all week so have been extra training and have been very active which i suppose had an affect i had abouit 16 hours recovery between yesterdays training and this mornings run...also the run should have been done tomorrow but im busy tomorrow...hopefully the 10 will go better...

Today 10 miles 1hr 45 min

Got no running in all week cause I was on call but this felt good today. The pace was nice and slow and it felt way better than last weeks nine miler. id have easily gone too 12 miles today

I have two decisions to make now... do i do 11 miles next week and 2 i try and stick with the 2 hour pacer at the half.

suggestions?

Today 47 min 5 miler

Looks like you're sorted for the half mara so. Stick with the 2 hour pacer for deffo.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Looks like you're sorted for the half mara so. Stick with the 2 hour pacer for deffo.

my fear is if i stick with the pacer ill run out of steam lad....i was fine hitting the 5 mile mark yesterday but id be afraid id burn out at that pace..

It could just be nerves aswell...

if you got 10 done in 1.45, that means you would do over 11 in 2 hours normal pace. With a race, you always go faster than training with adrenaline, been pushed harder etc. Id say stick with the pacer for the first 5/6 miles and then re evaluate whether you will last or not.

When i did the half last year, i had no run in iver a week before the race and the runs in training had been meh - not fast for me, not toooo slow but on the day i bagged just over 1.29 which i was astounded with as i never thought it possible. I was hoping for under 1.40! Don't under estimate what you can pull out of the bag on race day. Remember you have been continually improving over the last few months.

ULstudent wrote: »
    if you got 10 done in 1.45, that means you would do over 11 in 2 hours normal pace. With a race, you always go faster than training with adrenaline, been pushed harder etc. Id say stick with the pacer for the first 5/6 miles and then re evaluate whether you will last or not.

When i did the half last year, i had no run in iver a week before the race and the runs in training had been meh - not fast for me, not toooo slow but on the day i bagged just over 1.29 which i was astounded with as i never thought it possible. I was hoping for under 1.40! Don't under estimate what you can pull out of the bag on race day. Remember you have been continually improving over the last few months.

Cheers lad...i think i will stick with the 2hr pacer as much as i can...even if it just gets me a 2:05 or something id be delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cheers lad...i think i will stick with the 2hr pacer as much as i can...even if it just gets me a 2:05 or something id be delighted!

Stick to the pacers (myself and Racoon Queen) and don't be too tempted to head off in front in the first few miles- it may seem slow at first but even pacing is the best for saving energy and you will need to hold a bit back for the hills late on (they are not really that bad but when you are working to your max they seem a lot tougher). If you are still going good at 11.5 miles the last part is a synch and you'll fly home.

As UL says, you'll likely go better in a race than in training, i myself always go 5-10% faster in a race than in my best training run.

Be sure to come up and say hello before the race and I'll give you a pace band.
    Also a good few boardsies will be going for a few drinks after the race if you fancy joining us?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Stick to the pacers (myself and Racoon Queen) and don't be too tempted to head off in front in the first few miles- it may seem slow at first but even pacing is the best for saving energy and you will need to hold a bit back for the hills late on (they are not really that bad but when you are working to your max they seem a lot tougher). If you are still going good at 11.5 miles the last part is a synch and you'll fly home.

As UL says, you'll likely go better in a race than in training, i myself always go 5-10% faster in a race than in my best training run.

Be sure to come up and say hello before the race and I'll give you a pace band.
    Also a good few boardsies will be going for a few drinks after the race if you fancy joining us?

where are ye heading for beers? its the fitness forum beers that night too and we ahve a group training session that evening. :p

ok im going to go for sub 2hr :p i at least have to try it after all this training i owe that to myself! Ill most def come over and say hello before hand...im really looking forward to this now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

where are ye heading for beers? its the fitness forum beers that night too and we ahve a group training session that evening. :p

ok im going to go for sub 2hr :p i at least have to try it after all this training i owe that to myself! Ill most def come over and say hello before hand...im really looking forward to this now....

We're going to Ryans on parkgate street, straight after the race (Just opposite Heuston Station). A few pints there will get you nicely warmed up for the evening :p You have nothing to lose with giving it a lash for sub 2, You'll have something to boast about to the fitness forum lads if it comes off.

Advertisement