Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child of Eden - new game from creator of Rez

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/5563293/this-is-basically-rez-for-the-playstation-move

Bound to be a few games which don't get the attention they deserve at E3, and hopefully Child of Eden won't be one. New game from Tetsuya Mizuguchi, who of course is responsible for Rez, one of the greatest audio/visual games ever made.

However, there is one considerable thing to note here: it is going to be for PS Move and Kinect, so yup, motion controlled. I'm still very weary of the technology, but having someone as talented as Mizuguchi is a first step towards relevance for this tech!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah great, just when Kinetic and Move looked like absolute scutter and not worth wasting money on this comes along and I'm pretty sure it will be a must buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Can't wait.

Also hoping for a worthwhile game from That Game Company. Which will be the last game on their 3 game deal with Sony which will let them, if they choose, go multi-plat and do something great on Kinect too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

god damn it. gotta buy some cheap novel crap now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://kotaku.com/5563293/this-is-basically-rez-for-the-playstation-move

Bound to be a few games which don't get the attention they deserve at E3, and hopefully Child of Eden won't be one. New game from Tetsuya Mizuguchi, who of course is responsible for Rez, one of the greatest audio/visual games ever made.

However, there is one considerable thing to note here: it is going to be for PS Move and Kinect, so yup, motion controlled. I'm still very weary of the technology, but having someone as talented as Mizuguchi is a first step towards relevance for this tech!
    Pro-tip: You are "wary" of new technology.
    You grow "weary" of bad technology.
    ;)

Yay, a new game from Mizuguchi!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

This is relevant to my interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

It's the perfect of example of new technology and new ideas being brought together to form new entertainment. The Wii has done well but didn't so much break new territory so much as skim the borderline...this makes me now very interested in Kinect!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've no idea whats going on in that trailer...and it looks fantastic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Trailer is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

****ing hell, here was me thinking I wouldn't actually buy into natal or move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You don't have to. :)
    Tetsuya Mizuguchi's latest music-driven "synesthesia" shooter, Child of Eden, made for an exciting kickoff to Ubisoft's pre-E3 2010 press conference. We caught up with the Rez creator following the event to chat about the his Kinect title, and found out that Microsoft's new motion-tracking tech actually won't be required to play.

Mizuguchi answered in the affirmative when we asked if Child of Eden can be played using a standard controller, also confirming that players will experience Rez-like controller vibration synced to the game's music. Given that the Q Entertainment founder went as far as to create the "Trance Vibrator" peripheral for additional, buzz-y feedback for Rez, we asked how he felt (or didn't, as the case may be) about a lack of tactile feedback when playing Kinect titles. "When I play the Kinect, I need some feedback," he replied, adding that vibrating bracelets -- like the Trance Vibrator -- could be used to improve the experience.

And what about a PlayStation Move release of the game? "We haven't decided yet," Mizuguchi responded when the topic was broached. He may not have, but we've decided we want it. How about you?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/15/mizuguchi-child-of-eden-to-support-standard-controllers/

Just saw that, I'm quite glad really, I get enough standing and moving the rest of my day, game time is couch time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good news on the standard controller front, although I always get a bit worried about Mizuguchi's obsession with vibrating devices!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Good news on the standard controller front, although I always get a bit worried about Mizuguchi's obsession with vibrating devices!

Travelling through airport security must be akward as hell for him.

Game looks nice, this is the kind of stuff we should be getting from motion control, not a bazillion and one fitness games or party-game compilations :rolleyes:

Waitasec waitasec waitasec...

The AI you were rescuing in Rez was called "Eden".
    +
    5th (final) form of the player is a baby.
    =
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looks great! Absolutely love Rez. This will be a no brainer.

And yeah, I'm sure there'll be some sort of update to the trance vibrator. Weirdest gaming device ever. As much as I love collecting older used consoles, there's something about a second hand vibrating device which just sounds wrong. No amount of bleach could get that clean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Waitasec waitasec waitasec...

The AI you were rescuing in Rez was called "Eden".
    +
    5th (final) form of the player is a baby.
    =

Also worth mentioning that some of the sound effects in the trailer are exactly the same as Rez. So I think it is safe to say that this is effectively Rez 2 :)

Bring on the mind ****!

I noticed that too :)

TOCK-TOCK-TOCK

Now I want an extended mix of that trailer's music.
    *edit* It's apparently a remix of Genki Rockets' "Star Line".

*edit*

ALSO:
    Child of Eden... Child of EDEN...
    That tree...

Pixeljunk Eden?? Maybe I'm reading too much into it now.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    ALSO:
    Child of Eden... Child of EDEN...
    That tree...

Pixeljunk Eden?? Maybe I'm reading too much into it now.

If you play the trailer backwards at three quarters speed exactly, and put the whole thing through a high frequency filter, and then cover your ears with your hands, it kind of sounds like they are saying 'Freeman'.

Freeman = Half-Life 3!!!

:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sure there'll be plenty of Genki Rockets in the soundtrack considering it's Mizuguchi's side project.

• Advertisement

That looks absolutely ****ing amazing! Game of the show so far and the game I'm looking forward to the most now! Genki Rocket girl is in there at the end as well :)

Track from the trailer if anyone is interested:

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

Wow! That looks amazing.

Rez is one of my favourite games of all time. Think I'm definitely going to have to get Kinect now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks exhausting :P

Genki Rockets girl freaks me right out, for reals.

Genki Rockets girl freaks me right out, for reals.
    Which is strange because she's virtual :D

Oh snap. Give that man a banana.

More detailed preview here

Definitely a highlight of E3. Really in the mood for a go of Rez now :)

• Advertisement

Bumpity bump. Only a few days to release! Haven't been this excited to play a game in a while. Will be sticking with standard controller for the moment, but word on the street (er..media) is that Kinect works pretty damn well.

Advertisement