Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dagger

• 15-06-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

My father has a dagger that maybe approx 75 to 90 years old. It belonged to my grandfather who served sometime during 1920-1935 or so in the French Foreign Legion. So I'm thinking that this maybe of Arabic origin. Does anybody know where I can get some info on it. I have attached a couple of images.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Hi Heart of Arabel !
    You got a Caucasian 'kinjal' dagger .

Not too sure on my spelling , but its eastern European of origin , and more of a short sword apparently .

I bought one many years ago , very similar , and my example has a 'walrus tusk' handle .
    I cant tell from your pic's , but your handle is likely bone ??

I love it , ......
    No ornaments , you got a real nicely balanced fighting weapon there !

The militaria buffs will tell you of its value ,.... i would hazard a guess at 150 euros or so ???

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭heartofarebel

Thanks Wild Dogger. It's nice to get some info on it. I would love to know how my grandfather got his hands on it. I had a look on the web but couldn't find anything similar. I'll try Militaria and see if they can come up with some sort of value even though I doubt it very much that my father would sell it on. It is some weapon alright. Even after all this time it is extremely sharp. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerryphoto

Hi
    I don't think it would make 150, I work in an auction room and similar daggers make 80-100.

Advertisement