Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the river.

Options
  • 15-06-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

I paid a brief visit to Cork recently, the first time in a few years. There I was on Lancaster Quay on Friday evening, when I spotted something moving in the river. My first thought was that it might be a seal, but a small one. I moved closer, and saw an otter, diving and surfacing, presumably seeking food. He saw me watching, and paused to look at me, said "worf", and went back to work.

I mentioned my sighting to a couple of Cork natives, and they had never seen or heard of an otter in the city area. Did I happen on something very unusual?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

I paid a brief visit to Cork recently, the first time in a few years. There I was on Lancaster Quay on Friday evening, when I spotted something moving in the river. My first thought was that it might be a seal, but a small one. I moved closer, and saw an otter, diving and surfacing, presumably seeking food. He saw me watching, and paused to look at me, said "worf", and went back to work.

I mentioned my sighting to a couple of Cork natives, and they had never seen or heard of an otter in the city area. Did I happen on something very unusual?

Not really rare, they're just hard to spot, very shy.
    In fact it may not have been an otter at all, was it day time? If so it would be more likely to be a Mink.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

themonboys wrote: »
    In fact it may not have been an otter at all, was it day time? If so it would be more likely to be a Mink.

It was about 7.00 pm, and it was most definitely an otter -- I have seen otters (and minks) before, but usually in quiet waters, away from human habitation. This one wasn't shy: he spoke to me, but I don't understand otter-speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

There's alot of them around. Used to see one almost daily in the river by the bus station last summer.
    Also saw a mother and cub in the south channel last year on one occassion.
    The river is fairly clean compared to what it used to be ,so I guess they are following the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ryanah

themonboys wrote: »

Yes, it certainly was an otter. The place where you saw it was on Lancaster Quay where Jurys and lancaster lodge is. That place was locally known as `the Muskerry`and the waters around it was infested with Otters. When it was developed in the late 50s/60s a lot of the otters got very scarce, but occasionally there are still a few who will show their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

This reminded me of when I was having coffee over by the boardwalk last year. Saw a Seal pop his head up out of the water then he vanished and a while later came back up with a massive fish in his mouth. He used a flipper to hold it in place then he tore its head off and water and blood splashed up in the air. I was well impressed! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Have seen two otters together a few times at the bridge just across from the western road entrance into UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Bill-e wrote: »
    Saw a Seal pop his head up out of the water then he vanished and a while later came back up with a massive fish in his mouth.

There are plenty of them there at this time of year. They usually follow the salmon up the river. Its a great sight!

Have seen a good few already this summer. Have seen mink too around the city hall.

Would love to see the otters tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I should really open my eyes when I go outside. I did see a heron (I think) try to catch a fish by South Gate Bridge the other day but it missed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Bill-e wrote: »
    This reminded me of when I was having coffee over by the boardwalk last year. Saw a Seal pop his head up out of the water then he vanished and a while later came back up with a massive fish in his mouth. He used a flipper to hold it in place then he tore its head off and water and blood splashed up in the air. I was well impressed! :P

We were crossing the Brian Boru bridge today and saw some people looking in the river, and there was what looked like a very big seal in the river, we couldn't believe it. There's people talking about otters here but this seal looked like it was eating an otter or a massive fish, it dunked his head under the water and didn't come up for ages, so we lost it but cool hey?? Don't know what the attaction for a seal in a dirty river although we did see lots of big fish too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Oleander wrote: »
    We were crossing the Brian Boru bridge today and saw some people looking in the river, and there was what looked like a very big seal in the river, we couldn't believe it. There's people talking about otters here but this seal looked like it was eating an otter or a massive fish, it dunked his head under the water and didn't come up for ages, so we lost it but cool hey?? Don't know what the attaction for a seal in a dirty river although we did see lots of big fish too.

Cool, I must hang around the river and try and get pictures of all this wildlife. I did see about 12 swans swim up the river last week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement