Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... season 1 then, thoughts?

Options
  • 15-06-2010 12:19am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

So now that it's done, what does everyone think?

I wasn't convinced by the pilot but it has grown on me steadily and I'm very much looking forward to season 2. My main worry is that they'll fall back into old habits. At least one of the major characters at risk in the cliffhanger finale has to die in S2, they've used the doomed-character finale too many times without paying the toll.

I think the characters are great - so much so that it's more a case of listing who I'm not crazy about rather than the other way around. Occasionally guilty of giving too much background on characters who haven't done enough in the present to earn our interest, but I think it's generally done well. Chloe in particular I think suffers from being the writers' pet, ie. the writing team just assume that we'll fawn over her like Eli and Scott do because she's pretty. Though I think the relationship she's developed with Eli is quite sweet and adds a lot to his character. TJ is a very strong female character, Young is a much more three dimensional leader than we've seen in Stargate recently, Scott is a bit of a boy-scout but not too much so, Greer is fantastic and Rush just steals every scene he's in. The supporting team of scientists are probably the best of any of the series.

I like how we've been kept wanting more of the various enemies they've gradually introduced. The other series tended to de-value their enemies by having them show up and get paddled by the heroes far too often. They've balanced the plot driven stuff with the character based stories quite well; unlike Atlantis, they've captured the psychological effects of being stranded far, far from home in a hostile environment quite well.

Also, the series looks great and usually hides the budgetary constraints more effectively than either SG1 or SGA.

So roll on S2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think individual elements have been excellent, but in season 2 something needs to tie it together. Basically, the show needs its "Fifth Race" season 2 ep that will set the major underlying plotline for the rest of the show. Because its from that one point that Stargate really took on the life that it did. Even the Destiny plotline can basically trace itself back to that one episode.

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s2/215.shtml

It needs to get back to that; explain that obelisk; figure out where the ship is going and why; give the people in the show something to revolve around, besides their own squabbling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved season 1. Its exactly what Stargate needed. Dark and gritty are always good imo. The characters are great (for the most part), and i look forward seeing them more. Also looking forward to certain people stepping up more, notable Eli and Scott.

I'd agree that they need an overall plot arc, other then the 'we're lost' one. Its more then likely going to be related to the Obelisk thing. I'm not sure how i feel about a super powered race of aliens more powerful/advanced then the Ancients though. I know its possible there were Ancients when the Ancients werent the Ancients...if you get what i mean :P

Either way, i'm looking forward to seeing Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

There has been one little thing bugging me - whenever someone uses the stones to go back to earth and talk to Gen. O'Neill its as if SG Command have forgotten to pay their electricty bill, everythings all dark and gloomy like back on Destiny, i think the lighting etc. there should be the same as in SG-1/SGA when theyre on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

There has been one little thing bugging me - whenever someone uses the stones to go back to earth and talk to Gen. O'Neill its as if SG Command have forgotten to pay their electricty bill, everythings all dark and gloomy like back on Destiny, i think the lighting etc. there should be the same as in SG-1/SGA when theyre on earth.

Its a recession. Do you know how much electricity costs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I have to say this is a series that I want to like but I must admit I'm having problems doing so. The 'Lost in Space' arc seems undermined by their overuse of the communication stones and the soap opera elements they keep pushing in whenever someone returns home. Again, let me be clear, I'm not someone who criticises for its own sake. I really do want this to be another successful part of the Stargate franchise. To be honest though a lot of sci-fi series have a shaky first season so I'm hoping season 2 will make things work. But I think for me the real crunch factor is the characters. I can't say I'm a big fan of any of them. Eli was all right to begin with but he's become dull now. Rush is interesting enough but not really likeable nor Young even though Young is supposed to be the top guy.

Or maybe it's just me and I just need to clear al previous Stargate stuff out of my brain and just take this series on its own merits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For me it was a first season that started off well with an unmissably darker tone to the stargate universe we've known over the past 3 series - I posted on a thread a while back how it did seem a little odd to see Jack, Sam and Daniel in this new tone but it now reminds me more of early SG1 before the humor was introduced - at first needed and welcome, but then ridiculous (Vala etc).

Personally I really like Young (even though maybe I'm not "supposed" to! :)).
    Here's a man that clearly has his own issues and history, but who has to put those aside each day to present the image (and it IS often an image) of the strong leader, both for his own troops and to keep the civilians in line.

This was best illustrated for me in the recent episode that opens with him shaving and then reluctantly going to break the news that all hope of rescuing Scott, Eli and the others was lost, physically and mentally composing himself before he opens the door.

Scott: Really aside from seducing Lt James and Chloe, he hasn't REALLY done too much but follow whatever orders Young gives him, but his scenes with Eli are good. He needs to "step up" in season 2 though as was already said.

Eli: I like him. Obviously intended as a means to introduce the average viewer to the SG Universe (no pun intended!), he's taken a back seat to Rush but his scenes with Chloe are good, and maybe the overweight geek type will get the hot girl in the end! :)

Rush: Excellent in every scene he's in. The recent flashback episode detailing the months before his wife's death were badly needed to show that he's not just an asshole for the sake of it.. he's driven by a need to succeed in this, to prove to himself (and his wife's memory) that the decisions and sacrifices that he made WERE all worth it.
    Equally the episode where he (almost) gets together with the old flame show that he isn't all bad and that he's as vulnerable as Young underneath it all.

Greer: Another excellent character that has been fleshed out well in the 2nd half of the season. You can see that despite outranking him, Scott leans on him a lot to make the calls he himself can't make.

Chloe: Aside from her scenes with Eli, she's the one character I'd probably consider expendible in the main cast. Aside from (presumably) the eye-candy role (overshadowed - literally! :p - by Lt James!!) it's like the writers haven't really decided what to do with her. She could be written out fairly easily and not missed I think.

TJ: I don't see the writers bringing a baby onto this show. Depending on how they resolve the Lucian Alliance storyline, if she and the baby survive, it could end up that it's sent back to "the alpha quadrant" (for want of a better term :)) via Stargate.. the LA have to have planned SOME way back, right??

Wray: A good counterbalance for Young and not afraid to take chancesd and make the hard calls when she has to. There's a grudging respect between them. Bit too much time has been spent with her on earth having Quality Time with the girlfriend, but like Young presumably its intended to show a softer side to the character?

The secondary/recurring cast are excellent and given a lot more to do in this show than in previous series (which as an actor must be more satisfying even!) but which also helps to build the sense that there ARE only 80/90 people on this ship (rather than a revolving-door of new faces as on most shows).

The only negative this season was the lull towards the end of the first half of the season, but they came back strong after the break (even if the numbers aren't showing it - yet.. hopefully!).

All in all then, I'm really looking forward to season 2! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Loved the first season. liked the first half but really improved in the 2nd half after the mid season break.
    love rush and camille - i think they're brilliant actors. i'm not a big fan of greer myself - i think he's a right prick, and acts like he owns the place. not one of my favourite characters anyway.

one of my favourite episodes was "Time" - the one where they go to the planet with the crawlers and then send the Kino back in time.
    what about ye?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Lt. boobs needs to get bumped up a series regular, not just for the boobs....but i think she has alot of potential as a character, Chloe NEEDS to go....we have two hot chcks already, she's just a waste of air and screen time, kill her off in a shocking way, that'll effect Eli and Scott and Young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

whiteman19 wrote: »
    one of my favourite episodes was "Time" - the one where they go to the planet with the crawlers and then send the Kino back in time.

I thought that was the worst episode of the lot. I thought half way through the first half of the first series was way too early to be doing a half-assed kill everyone off but then hit the big red time travel button to undo everything style episode. A lot of sci-fi shows do this (or similar), but usually much later on. This one was weak and crap.

At the half way point, I was in two minds as to whether I even wanted it to get past season 1. Some of the early episodes were pretty good (apart from Time), but the real gems came in the 2nd half. The introduction of the alien race, the planet with the obelisk and now the Lucian Alliance back, and on board the Destiny, all built it up to a great season close.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Telford really came into his own in the last few episodes, he really is a bit of a bad ass.

Sadly Wray and Chloe just annoy me, Wray's pathetic attempts at diplomacy and politics are just laughable and don't get me started about Chloe.

But the last few episodes have given me a lot of hope for the second series, I am quite looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Chloe has just gotta go! She's done nothing interesting all season, and is being completely overshadowed by an otherwise very powerful cast. She's not even good looking enough to fill that niche, especially with Lt. Boobs running around :)

The rest of the cast by and large have been excellent though, really like how they've developed Greer, he started out as just a rowdy knucklehead, but he's really come into his own as the season progressed. He's more of a leader than Scott so far, who is definately a boy scout type.

Liking the personal struggle of Young, makes a nice change from the clean and crisp commander Shepard, or the raw lovable ball of sarcasm that is O'Neill. Also interested to see what they do with Telford, could be very interesting having 2 Colonels in the ranks, stuck on the same ship, could lead to some serious leadership issues.

The sciece team is definately the best so far too, even if McKay and Zalenka were a great team for comic relief, the new team definately feels like the most professional science team they've had. You also just have to love Rush his blunt rationality is just brilliant.

Looking forward to season 2 anyway, the first season started off decent and kept getting better as it went on.

Advertisement