Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband and apple extreme settings

• 15-06-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭

Just got switched over to Magnet 24Mb broadband today (from eircom), and while bandwidth and ping are good, there's some configuration headaches.

Here's my set-up:

Magnet modem/router - Telsey with no config options - locked down, no static ip.

...which is connected via ethernet to a 3Com 8 port switch (the wireless functionality of the Tesley isn't made use of).

Connected to the ethernet switch is a PC, two desktop Macs, a postscript laser printer, and an Airport Extreme base station (802.11n flavour).

PC and desktop Macs are networked just fine, and internet access is no problem.

The stuff networked to the Airport (a couple of laptops, PS3, bridged Airport Express with ethernet connected HD media player) is proving a bit more problematic. Setting the Extreme base station to bridge mode allows networked laptops with internet access, but the PS3 won't connect to the internet (obtain IP address failure). If I set the Extreme base station to 'Share a public IP address' and define a range of IP addresses, I can connect to the internet with the pS3, but not media servers on the LAN (which work partially in bridge mode - I get Windows Media Player, but not PS3 Media Server), and the laptops lose email access (but not web or LAN access?!) - Actually just checked and I've no email on laptop with base station set to bridge mode either??

I've still got the eircom netopia router, if that can be daisychained to get me past the IP problems. If anyone has a recipe for getting everything back working as it should, I'd love to hear it.

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Update - PS3 is now connecting to internet (NAT 1) and Windows Media Player (but not PS3 media server) on the LAN. Email is back working on laptop. No idea what has changed - it's nothing I've done knowingly.

Advertisement