Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake Tan on de Wimminz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

What's your opinion on it.. does it make the Irish lassies look more attractive on a night out, or just look like Oompa-loompas?
    I think when it's done right, it looks great.

A tan does make you look healthier imo.

How did it get from this ^^^^^^ to this?
    Teutorix wrote: »
    Well i dont think a man cares if you have a tan right up yer crack.

I don't tend to do anything that craves a mans approval.;)
    You must be forgetting to turn over. :D

I must be, and forgetting to make sure I let the sun get to my armpits.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hugsandkisses

The Oompaa loompa look is great on us wimmin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Just a hint of it on a girl that pale skin doesn't suit. The majority though would be best stay well away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've got typical Irish skin so don't tan, but even if I did I'd rather use the fake stuff than end up with skin like leather by the time I'm 40. I use a very light tan and it's actually as important to me when going out as having my hair or makeup done.

I think if done properly it makes women look so much better. I've had the odd disaster in my day, but I've always had friends or family on hand to tell me I've gone overboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I like 'em white! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's horrible, it never will be nice, and the worste thing is that people think they look attractive looking like that... Check out their feet or hands, fcuking horrible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Looks alright when its done well.. pity most women who use it, end up looking like a badly wiped arsehole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Their call.

I personally don't think it's needed and you should just be what you are, but each to their own.

Even if I see somebody that's seriously overdone it and looks silly, it's hardly the end of the world: it's just a cosmetic after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

stovelid wrote: »
    .....even if I see somebody that's seriously overdone it and looks silly, it's hardly the end of the world: it's just a cosmetic after all.......

I wouldn't look at them twice....and also don't be forgetting the horrible smell of fake tan. I couldn't imagine getting it on with such a person in a niteclub etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Oompa-loompas.

Fake tan and general over use of make up makes a lot of irish women look filthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

They look like sh!te. Literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Whats the story with leaving cert students putting on fake tan to do their exams? Bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I dislike a real tan on a woman... a fake tan quadruply so!

orourkeda wrote: »
    Whats the story with leaving cert students putting on fake tan to do their exams? Bizarre

They're cheating... themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

It defo depends on the person and their skin type (dry skin, oily skin) some ppl go over board and use the wrong tanning lotion = tangoed!!

I think when it's subtle it looks good :D

Also, it makes my legs look thinner :D

• Advertisement

Also, it makes my legs look thinner :D

Yea, you keep telling yourself that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drops of Jupiter

"
    I would think that was the reason behind the OP starting this thread"

Suspect to say the least. Aren't you supposed to give your own opinion
    in the OP or maybe because it''s a poll you don't?

"Wow, that's some description of what you are not, where was ugly fat lesbian or sex starved mentioned in the opening post?"

Call it a pre-emptive strike! I agree it was a bit OTT but please don't tell me you have never seen these type of personal attack happen before in here before or even on other forums. I am new and have seen it a bit.It also happens to guys who are lower down " AH the pecking order" but it can be nasty before the mods stop it.

"This isn't doing you any favours tbh"

Yes, I hear you but I am equally allowed express my opinion and am not going to go with the flow to curry favour!There were several threads in AH running in AH that were blatant female bashing threads. (Why do girls flirt when they have a boyfriend/Why do girls pretend to like things for their OH etc) which seems to be very socially acceptable in AH. If people spend enough time in AH they probably don't even notice.

There were several threads in AH running in AH that were blatant female bashing threads. (Why do girls flirt when they have a boyfriend/Why do girls pretend to like things for their OH etc) which seems to be very socially acceptable in AH. If people spend enough time in AH they probably don't even notice.

"just"get over it.ok"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

I don't know why women go to the bother TBH. Fake tan looks....fake?

Nothing wrong with a milky pale complexion. In fact dare i say it, i like it.

tanned skin used to be assosciated with poor land workers, when genteel folks preferred the pale interesting look. Its good attitudes have changed, tho' I'm a freckled redser myself, I DO admire & envy a Real nice natural tan:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

I'm a pretty pale lass, so when I go out on the odd occassion I'll use a natural looking one, which is no where near as orange as I see it on a night out but actually makes me look quite healthy. What's funny though is most guys on this said it looks terrible, but normally snow white celebrities like Megan Fox, Cheryl Cole and Cam Diaz use it almost daily, although I suppose they have the money not to be using Dunne's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

Eh gone drinking your in denial...it actually does :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

My boyfriend found out I used fake tan the other day. 3 years and he only noticed cuz he saw a bottle of St Tropez in the bathroom :)

Note to self: hide beauty secrets :P

That said, I do use the palest one on the market and it just makes me look healthy rather than tanned! I use sp15 on my face all the time so I never have much natural colour on my face (skin cancer=fail) and Ive naturally sallow enough skin so it doesnt streak.

I bet a lot of girls who guys think are 'natural' actually do have a lil help, it just means they know how to do it right!

There is a big diffrence between fake tan and neon glow-in-the-dark orange colour that I have seen some peole strut around with!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i see the usual pattern emerging on this thread, guys telling the truth and a few girls saying "well if done properly it looks good"

newsflash girls, fake tan does not look good, ever. honestly i don't know why irish/british girls are obsessed with the stuff, naturally pale skin is beautiful re: Rose McGowan and karen gillan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wouldn't look at them twice...

I wouldn't imagine that their lives will be irrevocably altered by this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nothing wrong with a milky pale complexion. In fact dare i say it, i like it.
    Especially if you can see blue veins

also

Freckles FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'm not going to deny that there is probably a % of people who manage to apply fake tan correctly, and it's not noticable, however, I've been to enough weddings to fairly safely state that a large majority of people can not apply it correctly.

It smells, it makes you look dirty (ie: dirty elbows, hands, etc.), & it leaves streaks around the back & back of legs.

It's bloody awful tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's horrible. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

I got my tan done for the first time, i wasnt too sure of it so i asked my boyfriend what he thought. eventually he said it was a bit orange, i didnt get angry cause im glad he told the truth but what he said is that i should use the moisteriser stuff that gradually builds a tan cause its light. il will be doing this from now on.

I'm in no way obsessed with the stuff, I just like getting dressed up when I'm going somewhere really nice or for a special occassion and that's part of it. You can buy ones that don't look dirty, smell quite nice and wash off the next day. It's just the majority of women don't, for some inexplicable reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I got my tan done for the first time, i wasnt too sure of it so i asked my boyfriend what he thought. eventually he said it was a bit orange, i didnt get angry cause im glad he told the truth but what he said is that i should use the moisteriser stuff that gradually builds a tan cause its light. il will be doing this from now on.
    or...
    you could go outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

Was sitting in the beer garden of the local pub one afternoon over the long weekend. Every 2nd woman that walked by was covered head to toe in the crap ! Was about 18/20 degrees... Why not just go without it, sit in the sun and get a much more attracitve, natural tan?

=.. Why not just go without it, sit in the sun and get a much more attracitve, natural tan?

Because the majority of women, myself included, have very pale skin that only burns rather than tans, and sitting out in the hot sun without SPF on also causes skin cancer. Laugh at that if you will, but it's happened a couple of times in my family.

Embrace the very pale skin!

I never get this mentality: I don't like very pale skin, so I'll go for orange, dirty looking, smelly substitute.
    How is that better?!?

Natural beauty girls - you all have it.

90% of my life I'm pale. The other ten percent I'm out on a night out or at a wedding or something, I stick tan on .... and not the orange smelly stuff either.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

or...
    you could go outside.

ye and get cancer

Funnily, I don't think any person thinks they are putting on the orange, smelly stuff, yet... :o

Oh and Rachpie thats not a personal comment - I'm sure you are in the group that apply it with out anyone knowing.

I know I've seen it myself, it can be pretty awful. Some people need to learn a few beauty skills.

I don't pick up on sarcasm over the net very well, so if that's genuine, then thanks! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

They know when they've been tangoed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"I would think that was the reason behind the OP starting this thread"

Suspect to say the least. Aren't you supposed to give your own opinion
    in the OP or maybe because it''s a poll you don't?

"Wow, that's some description of what you are not, where was ugly fat lesbian or sex starved mentioned in the opening post?"

Call it a pre-emptive strike! I agree it was a bit OTT but please don't tell me you have never seen these type of personal attack happen before in here before or even on other forums. I am new and have seen it a bit.It also happens to guys who are lower down " AH the pecking order" but it can be nasty before the mods stop it.

"This isn't doing you any favours tbh"

Yes, I hear you but I am equally allowed express my opinion and am not going to go with the flow to curry favour!There were several threads in AH running in AH that were blatant female bashing threads. (Why do girls flirt when they have a boyfriend/Why do girls pretend to like things for their OH etc) which seems to be very socially acceptable in AH. If people spend enough time in AH they probably don't even notice.
    Ah in fairness, there have been some awful woman-bashing threads on AH and there are some awful woman-bashers, but this isn't such a thread. Don't think the OP is like that. :)
    RachPie wrote: »
    What's funny though is most guys on this said it looks terrible, but normally snow white celebrities like Megan Fox, Cheryl Cole and Cam Diaz use it almost daily
    Yeah, that's very true - although Cheryl Cole seems quite olive-skinned? But certainly the others are fair-skinned and lusted after by guys who no doubt hate fake tan. :p
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    i see the usual pattern emerging on this thread, guys telling the truth and a few girls saying "well if done properly it looks good"
    The guys are only focusing on the cases where it looks orange, the girls are making the point that not all fake tan looks awful and orange, which is true. If applied well, it doesn't look like she's wearing fake tan at all. A lot of the time, when guys think she doesn't have fake tan on, doesn't have make-up on, she actually... does.
    naturally pale skin is beautiful re: Rose McGowan and karen gillan
    That's the kind of skin I have and I like it, but I like to have a bit of a sunkissed glow on my legs too, just to tone down extreme whiteness, and this takes ages to get naturally - especially with such limited sun here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

I have pale skin and don't use fake tan. I remember worrying as a teenager about having pale legs in the summer, but I grew out of worrying about things like that.

Even if I was still worried about my pale skin, the amount of time and effort required to achieve even a half-decent fake tan means that it's out of the question for me. It's just too much like work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

For those who are saying they wear fake tan because going out in the sun to get a real tan is going to give them skin cancer, are you that afraid? Honestly, if you can't get out in the sun and enjoy it without being afraid, that sounds like a pretty crap attitude to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Was working at the westlife concert last week and honestly, never seen so much fake tan (and i love jedward t-shirts) in the same place before. You would have sworn the oompa loompas were invading Croke Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

atari jaffa cakes = It looks feckin ridiculous and I'm one of the wimminz, right?

Fake tan is horrid, never looks like a real sun tan either, neither are good, there's nothing attractive about skin cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Some girls look like they had an accident and rubbed their own excrement into their skin, in fact some may look and smell better if they used their own poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

My sis in law who thinks she looks like a Queen and dresses up just come round for tea, gets fake tan done before nights out and weddings etc..

I don't understand how someone like her who spends so much time on herself, ends up thinking that such badly done fake tan around her fingers and hands looks good...she looks mingin. A light dusting is all ye need, going 6 shades darker, then plastering even darker make up on your face makes you look silly.

Men aren't looking at you cos they like you...they think you just stupid looking and cant stop staring...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Mostly I think it looks like total cack, geez the patchy uneven blotchy muck they plaster on their legs and feet looks truly offensive. I think the problem here is similar to when wimmin wear all this other tinted foundation s***on their faces ending in a ring around their necks and up to their ears, it is soo skanky and looks like puke. The reason is probably because they plaster this s*** on in a poorly lit bedroom or bathroom and think it looks ok (it doesn't) then go out into natural light where the direness becomes amplified.
    Clear skin is beautiful, tastes nicer too.
    A little carefully applied eye make-up can be sexy, but leave off the muck girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Heard a very funny story once,
    one of the lads from work went home with a girl from a night club. She was wearing a fair whack of tan mind you. long story short when he tried to creep up the back stairs he didn't know if it was fake tan or shart. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Mmm, Jaffa Cakes.

Edit: Have to go buy some now :(

It's actually lovely that so many guys think it's rotten - less effort for me on a Saturday night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

For those who are saying they wear fake tan because going out in the sun to get a real tan is going to give them skin cancer, are you that afraid? Honestly, if you can't get out in the sun and enjoy it without being afraid, that sounds like a pretty crap attitude to life.

I guess if cancer is part of family history like it will be for a few here, then they are right to be wary. I doubt they don' enjoy good weather, more that they wear sunscreen, hats etc in order to take precautions. That way they do not build a tan. A friend of mine is like that as she has extremely fair skin and a family history of skin cancer.

As for fake tan...I am a guy and I hate the orange "you've been tangoed" look. But I have seen a few girls with a nicely applied tan. They still look great with their natural skin, but the tan can look good if going on a holiday or at a wedding. Basically for special occasions only IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement