Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy a Leatherman multi tool in town?

Options
  • 15-06-2010 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions price wise?:)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Radar Stores Limerick - Virtual Tour

That is a virtual tour of the shop - you can zoom in on the Leatherman Display seems to range from 60-180 depending on the ones you want.

Or alternatively - Argos!

Free Style is 72.99

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/catalogId/1500002251/partNumber/0184122.htm

And the Wave is 133.99

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0182519/Trail/searchtext%3EMULTITOOL.htm

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Do you have the option of the net ?

I picked up a Crunch for $40 from ebay (German seller) boxed leather sleeve etc spankin new..Leatherman warranty is honoured worldwide anyhow ...

I DID manage to break my last one (which I then dropped into a cavity wall) .. but it came back with new "everything" apart from one side panel which had been engraved espessially .. cost me a whole 8euro for shipping cost :rolleyes:

They had Waves for about $60 (buy it now).. delivered in 4 days :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

i got one from amazon.com years ago for roughly $35.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Don't limit yourself to leatherman, there's loads of other decent multi-tool brands out there, which are just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper, I have a Gerber Suspension. It's a great tool does everything you want and as i said already it doesn't break the bank. They can also be bought in Radar Stores.

I had the gerber suspension and the Leatherman pulse and also swiss army multitool..I ended up giving the rest away and got a crunch again.

The Gerber always felt Arkward, heavy and bulky both on the belt and in my hands compared to the rest..quality was decent, I was not crackers on the lil slide lockers for the blade though .. always felt they'd cave in at the wrong time, i'm sure they wouldn't but was wary of putting any real pressure on it.

The swiss army knife is "shiny" blade cracked on mine (very sharp but hard brittle blade like their standard knives).. rest of the tool was nice, but I always felt it was .. designed not to "really" be used and out thorough its paces, like the gerber I just felt "unsafe" using it.

Pulse ... was almost perfect balance, I missed the Vice grips fuction ALOT..... so back to...

The crunch fits my needs perfectly for everything from car repairs to plumbing jobs and electrical and even electronics work (Vicegrips is really handy for third hand soldering jobs!) and very VERY robust.

I was lost without my crunch when I lost my original (it was 9 years old),And tried out the others before replacing it with the same knife.

I find I use the Vicegrips on it almost daily... its also feels lighter .It might not be, but feels it maybe as its slimmer than most other models out there .. knife might not be as long, but haven't found myself wanting for a bigger blade.

Hex attachment at the base is great in a pinch (think gerber has one too).

Takes a little getting used to it as when you open it for the first time it confuses people as it seems to "fall apart" (Intentional), but you'd soon be flicking it round like a butterfly to snap it into position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Leatherman multi tool??? :confused:

Must be getting old-

http://www.leatherman.com/category/multi-tools..

they've only been around for 27 years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

US Bargain Store is located on Lower Cecil Street their prices
    for the Leathermans tools are about 10-20 Euro cheaper that some other
    places. But their selection is not great.

Fishing Shooting & Archery Store The Milk Market also sells multitools
    but the prices above average (putting it mildly)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

bullets wrote: »
    US Bargain Store is located on Lower Cecil Street their prices
    for the Leathermans tools are about 10-20 Euro cheaper that some other
    places. But their selection is not great.

Fishing Shooting & Archery Store The Milk Market also sells multitools
    but the prices above average (putting it mildly)

~B

I don't like that place.

Would Bonds do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I don't like that place.

Would Bonds do them?

I'm not too fond of the place myself considering
    yer man does not stock guns does not want to know about
    getting fishing gear repaired and he's never got ammo!!

Its like going into McDonalds and them telling you they've no burgers.

Not familiar/Dont know who Bonds are.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

was.deevey wrote: »
    http://www.leatherman.com/category/multi-tools..

they've only been around for 27 years :P

Read your review of the Crunch with interest - Can anyone please tell me can you carry these on your Person at all times without being at risk of being accused of carrying a Weapon?

- Isn't it all dependant on the length of the blade or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Raiser wrote: »
    Read your review of the Crunch with interest - Can anyone please tell me can you carry these on your Person at all times without being at risk of being accused of carrying a Weapon?

- Isn't it all dependant on the length of the blade or something?

the law of the land Firearms and offensive wapons Act 1990 section 9

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any
    public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is
    sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under
    subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having
    the article with him in a public place. ( this covers as was mentioned gutting a fish , Eircom guy cutting cable on the road side etc)

4) Where a person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the onus of
    proving which shall lie on him), has with him in any public place—

( a ) any flick-knife, or

( b ) any other article whatsoever made or adapted for use for causing injury
    to or incapacitating a person,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

(5) Where a person has with him in any public place any article intended by
    him unlawfully to cause injury to, incapacitate or intimidate any person
    either in a particular eventuality or otherwise, he shall be guilty of an
    offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks! Was told that before by someone in College years ago who used to carry a fairly lethal looking Penknife on steroids as a pocketknife - he used to make out it was perfectly legal seeing as the blade was only whatever it happened to be centimetres in length...... :rolleyes:

I carry mine with me in the sheath everywhere, it never leaves my side except airports...

However even straight through airport security (pre 9-11) in the US .. almost forgot it and the guard told me to "take care of that - they're expensive" !

The crunch has quite a short blade 3 1/4 I think it is...

I've never been questioned anywhere about it .. so long as you're not waving it about i'm sure its fine, its an obvious tool rather than a cheap and nasty ol' one handed lock knife (which I could see perhaps being an issue) and takes quite a bit more than a flick to get to the blade.

Advertisement