Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Drugs - What Have Taken?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

All of the listed, over the years, other than poppers, crack and heroin..

.. although these days i'm quite happy settling for some nice sticky weed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Tigger wrote: »
    nope ive taken heroin but never exstasy cos i';ve seen how it can get a grip on people

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

I don't have much respect for people who have never taken drugs. You can never really relate to them.

marcsignal wrote: »
    All of the listed, over the years, other than poppers, crack and heroin..

.. although these days i'm quite happy settling for some nice sticky weed ;)

that's odd ..... I've no recollection of ever posting on this thread :confused::confused:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

Irreversible brain damage lols!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

marcsignal wrote: »
    that's odd ..... I've no recollection of ever posting on this thread :confused::confused:

:pac:

Add roofies to the list as well so.

Scambuster wrote: »
    Irreversible brain damage lols!
    mikom wrote: »
    Add roofies to the list as well so.

lol! was wondering if anyone would cop it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Scambuster wrote: »
    I don't have much respect for people who have never taken drugs. You can never really relate to them.

I feel the same way about people that do take drugs. Especially junkies. Just feel uncomfortable around them. Especially when they're out of it.

Looking at the poll I'm shocked with the amount of people on drugs using boards.

No wonder the scumbags around here are rich. You all give them your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

koHd wrote: »
    ll I'm shocked with the amount of people on drugs using boards.

No wonder the scumbags around here are rich. You all give them your money.

Blame the politicians for making the scumbags rich. Prohibition of extremely popular substances is bound to create a huge black market.

Politicians only give us a legal choice of caffeine,tobacco and alcohol, and two of those are really really bad for you and are pretty sh1te drugs in fairness. No wonder people seek out safer and better ways of getting high.

Legalise most drugs in some form and the scumbags lose out. The moral arguments and bull propaganda to keep recreational drug use illegal doesn't work anymore. The laws are obselete. Thanks to access to real information online, people can make up their own minds about these things.

• Advertisement

Shulgin wrote: »
    Blame the politicians for making the scumbags rich. Prohibition of extremely popular substances is bound to create a huge black market.

Politicians only give us a legal choice of caffeine,tobacco and alcohol, and two of those are really really bad for you and are pretty sh1te drugs in fairness. No wonder people seek out safer and better ways of getting high.

Legalise most drugs in some form and the scumbags lose out. The moral arguments and bull propaganda to keep recreational drug use illegal doesn't work anymore. The laws are obselete. Thanks to access to real information online, people can make up their own minds about these things.

I'm not sure about that argument. I've been to Amsterdam and I thought the place was horrible and not a place I'd raise kids.

Drug dealers everywhere. I was only 15 at the time on a school tour and the amount of times we were approached by dealers on busy streets was disturbing and uncomfortable. Never had that in Dublin. And I grew up and lived 25 years in Ballymun.

Making things legal isn't always the answer. Look at USA and their gun policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

There are more people killed by guns in Ireland than the USA each year per capita.

darsar wrote: »
    There are more people killed by guns in Ireland than the USA each year per capita.

Jesus I didn't know that.

Any reliable statistics to back that up?

I was reading this not so long ago. I found a link from year 2001 and USA has 0.027 per 1000 people and Ireland 0.0029 per 1000 buy alot has changed in Ireland in the last ten years. I'll try find the link to what I was reading.

I'm not sure about that argument. I've been to Amsterdam and I thought the place was horrible and not a place I'd raise kids.

Drug dealers everywhere. I was only 15 at the time on a school tour and the amount of times we were approached by dealers on busy streets was disturbing and uncomfortable. Never had that in Dublin. And I grew up and lived 25 years in Ballymun.

There is a fair amount of cannabis tourism in Holland and the dealers of subtances that aren't legal/decriminalised take advantage of the druggie tourists.

A Europe wide drug legalisation strategy would be the only way to sort out the drug tourism problem. Legalising one drug in one country is a bad idea as you experienced in Amsterdam as you tend to get these drug holiday makers :)

Most of the popular drugs would have to be legalised across all of europe for it to work really. I'm not sure about heroin though, that is a class of its own, maybe prescriptions or something Im not sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Maybe thats because you went on a tour of the red light which is where all the junkies hang out?

Such stupidity..

That's like saying, "I walked down Talbot St. in Dublin, drug dealers everywhere..I would never raise my kids in Ireland"..

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Maybe thats because you went on a tour of the red light which is where all the junkies hang out?

Such stupidity..

That's like saying, "I walked down Talbot St. in Dublin, drug dealers everywhere..I would never raise my kids in Ireland"..

We weren't in the red light district. We were in the "family friendly" tourist part (it was a school tour) where you do shopping, eat Mickey D's etc.

We were followed for a couple of minutes by a couple of different drug dealers that seemed to be arguing with one another over who spotted us first and should get the sale.

How about you watch the movie before you leave a review.

There is a fair amount of cannabis tourism in Holland and the dealers of subtances that aren't legal/decriminalised take advantage of the druggie tourists.

A Europe wide drug legalisation strategy would be the only way to sort out the drug tourism problem. Legalising one drug in one country is a bad idea as you experienced in Amsterdam as you tend to get these drug holiday makers :)

Most of the popular drugs would have to be legalised across all of europe for it to work really. I'm not sure about heroin though, that is a class of its own, maybe prescriptions or something Im not sure.

I do agree Amsterdam is suffering because of what you mention. So the effects are a little skewered.

I have been in favour of legalizing drugs in the past. I hate seeing drug dealers get rich. Especially the scumbag ones that use fear and intimidation to run their area.

But everytime I think into it I just see society falling to bits 30 years into a future where all drugs were legal.

Alcohol has us messed up enough

darsar wrote: »
    I was reading this not so long ago. I found a link from year 2001 and USA has 0.027 per 1000 people and Ireland 0.0029 per 1000 buy alot has changed in Ireland in the last ten years. I'll try find the link to what I was reading.

The first link on google has USA 25th and Ireland 55th with murders per capita. Note it's all murders, not just gun. And a lot of Irelands murders are still knife and beating related.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

Don't know how reliable the info is though. Would require more research on my part and I'm not really up for it as I really don't think Ireland has a higher gun murder rate per capita than the USA.

It's seems you are most likely correct. From what I see, 9369 from a population of just under 311m in USA to 12 by firearm in Ireland.

I would have thought more than 12 died in Ireland last year by firearm so I wouldn't imagine these stats are recent. I can't see a date on my phone anyway!
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

• Advertisement

Yeah, seems USA is the highest of western nations.

But anyway, legalised drugs and legalised firearms are hardly the same thing. I doubt an ounce of homegrown cannabis or a few mushrooms would make people around you to start dropping dead violently. Guns are designed to kill people, drugs are not.

Yeah, seems USA is the highest of western nations.

But anyway, legalised drugs and legalised firearms are hardly the same thing. I doubt an ounce of homegrown cannabis or a few mushrooms would make people around you to start dropping dead violently. Guns are designed to kill people, drugs are not.

I do understand that most illegal drugs are not as dangerous as guns. But I'm just saying it's playing with fire to accept all of these drugs.

And just because they're legal doesn't mean there won't be a black market.

Afterall, if they're legalized they'll have rules on them. Like potency etc. So the serious users will probably not be content with the "watered down" version the government allows and still buy from drug dealers that source their stuff for questionable methods.

I just think a society that accepts all types of drug use is a society that will soon fall apart.

I love a drink. I used to drink a lot more thaan I do now. But then I started looking at the effects of it and seriously wondering how the f*** alcohol was legal. It's a messed up drug.

You watch a bunch of normal people go into pubs/clubs and a few hours later they come out wasted, falling all over the place barely in control of themselves.

We accept alcohol so much in society, that the abuse of it is accepted to a point as well.

What is the point of getting wasted? I used to argue it's a means of escapism and relaxation. But really we don't need to get wasted for escapism and relaxation.

It's because we accept alcohol as an integral part of society that this behaviour is actually seen as normal by young people.

I'd hate to see the use of most of the street drugs become accepted. It will only lead to abuse and a society that's even more messed up than it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

We weren't in the red light district. We were in the "family friendly" tourist part (it was a school tour) where you do shopping, eat Mickey D's etc.

We were followed for a couple of minutes by a couple of different drug dealers that seemed to be arguing with one another over who spotted us first and should get the sale.

How about you watch the movie before you leave a review.

What a loser :P

ebixa82 wrote: »
    What a loser :P

I suppose you're awesome, being an internet hard man and all? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

None.
    Poll says a lot about the people who frequent AH though.........

I do understand that most illegal drugs are not as dangerous as guns. But I'm just saying it's playing with fire to accept all of these drugs.

And just because they're legal doesn't mean there won't be a black market.

True, just like with tobacco and a lesser extent alcohol. But at least the vast majority of business will be from legitimate sources.
    Afterall, if they're legalized they'll have rules on them. Like potency etc. So the serious users will probably not be content with the "watered down" version the government allows and still buy from drug dealers that source their stuff for questionable methods.

On the other hand I would say most drug users will embrace legal safe, standardised versions of their drug of choice. They will know the exact potency and the 'chance' element of buying from street dealers will be no more. Basically you know what you will get for your money, and know your tax money will be put back into the economy.
    I just think a society that accepts all types of drug use is a society that will soon fall apart.

I love a drink. I used to drink a lot more thaan I do now. But then I started looking at the effects of it and seriously wondering how the f*** alcohol was legal. It's a messed up drug.

Alcohol is a messed up drug. If people had the oppurtunity of buying other drugs that don't cause so many problems then society might actually suffer less because of alcohol. In fact some drugs in the psychedelic class tend to steer people away from addictive drugs such as alcohol, heroin etc.

What is the point of getting wasted? I used to argue it's a means of escapism and relaxation. But really we don't need to get wasted for escapism and relaxation.

I enjoy a good dose of magic mushrooms from time to time and it is far more than escapism. I use them for spiritual growth aswell as recreationally. I like to listen to music while using cannabis, it make food taste better too. Next day no hangover, no social problems etc.

We don't need to get 'wasted' ,but we don't need to have a couple of pints, play video games,bungie jump etc either. Why should drugs be any different? especially when it has been proven that most illegal drugs are safer than the legal ones.

I'd hate to see the use of most of the street drugs become accepted. It will only lead to abuse and a society that's even more messed up than it is.

That could well happens, but governments zero tolerance to all drugs is completely wrong, there has to be some give, and legal alcohol and tobacco is nowhere near good enough. Criminal records, public shame and Locking people up for a few ounces of weed, lsd, mushrooms or whatever is morally wrong, much more morally wrong than the drugs themselves. The laws need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

You've been taking too many drugs mate, you need to listen to yourself!!

Crasp wrote: »
    You've been taking too many drugs mate, you need to listen to yourself!!

Very helpful input mate.

True, just like with tobacco and a lesser extent alcohol. But at least the vast majority of business will be from legitimate sources.

On the other hand I would say most drug users will embrace legal safe, standardised versions of their drug of choice. They will know the exact potency and the 'chance' element of buying from street dealers will be no more. Basically you know what you will get for your money, and know your tax money will be put back into the economy.

I've thought about that side of it as well when I was pro legalization. It's all true. But for the risks for society as a whole involved, I just can't justify it in my head.

Substance abuse would be rife (yes, even more than it is now) as soon as any of the drugs in the poll mentioned become socially acceptable in the way alcohol is.

I think society would be better off without alcohol, so I don't see how adding multiple other legal sources that become an acceptable way to warp your mind, can benefit society.

Alcohol is a messed up drug. If people had the oppurtunity of buying other drugs that don't cause so many problems then society might actually suffer less because of alcohol. In fact some drugs in the psychedelic class tend to steer people away from addictive drugs such as alcohol, heroin etc.

I enjoy a good dose of magic mushrooms from time to time and it is far more than escapism. I use them for spiritual growth aswell as recreationally. I like to listen to music while using cannabis, it make food taste better too. Next day no hangover, no social problems etc.

We don't need to get 'wasted' ,but we don't need to have a couple of pints, play video games,bungie jump etc either. Why should drugs be any different? especially when it has been proven that most illegal drugs are safer than the legal ones.

I don't know all the merits and drawbacks of each individual drug as I've never done any or studied anything related to them. Especially magic mushrooms.

But, cannabis seems addictive from my experience of seeing friends that smoke it. They say they're not addicted. But I beg to differ going by their behaviour.

They're addicted to it in a similar way I have a slight addiction to alcohol and coffee. I don't get cold sweats without them, but the longer I go without them the more appealing the idea of having them becomes. And they're not required for my survival, so a comparison with food which people make is not a fair one.

I also become uncomfortable around a person that has smoked a good dose of cannabis. In the same way I do when I'm sober around drunk people. They definitely don't act or say things they would when not under the influence of the drug.

I might seem to be a bit of a hypocrite, being a drinker saying this, but I am not that happy about the level of alcohol acceptance in this country either. I just bought into it when I was a teenager because drinking alcohol when you get to 16 in this country it's as natural as eating your dinner in the evening. I enjoyed it. But looking back, I abused it and regret a lot of drinking experiences.

That could well happens, but governments zero tolerance to all drugs is completely wrong, there has to be some give, and legal alcohol and tobacco is nowhere near good enough. Criminal records, public shame and Locking people up for a few ounces of weed, lsd, mushrooms or whatever is morally wrong, much more morally wrong than the drugs themselves. The laws need to change.

I agree it is backwards that we lock up people for small amounts of the illegal substances you mention, yet a person wasted on alcohol can be just told to "go home and sleep it off" if they run into the gardai.

But I don't think adding more into the mix is going to improve anything to be honest.

They all alter our behaviour in strange ways and cause people to say and do things that they may regret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

None.
    Poll says a lot about the people who frequent AH though.........

Says they've used drugs at one point or another. That's about it.

Advertisement