Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Drugs - What Have Taken?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

Well yes, when people talk about their freedom to do something i would normally consider it to be a human rights issue. Freedom to vote, freedom of religious expression etc etc.

What you mean to say is your desire to take drugs is being curtailed?

Apologies if i am getting hung up on the use of the word freedom.
    Yeah, I think you may be interpreting "freedom" differently to me. I didn't mean that it's a mere issue of desire though.

Like, I have the freedom to drive a car, yet I wouldn't consider myself to have a human right to be allowed drive a car, and I may have this freedom with or without a desire to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well yes, when people talk about their freedom to do something i would normally consider it to be a human rights issue. Freedom to vote, freedom of religious expression etc etc.
    Freedom, rights, laws and so on are all imaginary human concepts. I'm completely free to do whatever I like but I just have to be aware that there are consequences for my actions. Some consequences are out of our control, IE if I jump off a cliff the consequence will be I hit the ground far below at high speed.

Consequences like those dealt out by the law are supposed to be thought out, logical and practical ways of convincing people carrying out terrible acts or even people hurting other people unintentionally to not carry out the specific act.

I don't agree that the law is the law and we must obey, I feel that way more and more as laws just seem to get stupider and stupider. If the law isn't practical, logical or in anyway solving the problem it was brought in to solve then what's the point in paying any attention to it?

The law is creating the problem not my drug use. So that law is invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

LSD is the only drug that genuinely expanded my mind. weed calmed it and is the only mainstay - heroin was done out of curiosity as to what the group were doing. not peer pressure .. sucked. black-out is a black-out, blissed out or not. I left them right there :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't agree that the law is the law and we must obey, I feel that way more and more as laws just seem to get stupider and stupider. If the law isn't practical, logical or in anyway solving the problem it was brought in to solve then what's the point in paying any attention to it?

The law is creating the problem not my drug use. So that law is invalid.

I don't either, but i do believe that the law is the law and if we are breaking it we are breaking the law and are criminals. Me thinking that the drug laws in Ireland are stupid doesn't mean that things in my past don't make me a criminal.

I disagree with you on the last point, that the law is creating the problem. What is creating the problem is people like us are willing to break the law. I believe the law does not solve the problem, or adequately deal with the desire of an adult population who wishes to make their own decisions with regards to certain substances.

The law creates criminals, but not their desire to do drugs.

What is creating the problem is basically people who have little to no understanding of the actual realities of drugs and the people who use them and their continued unwillingness to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I disagree with you on the last point, that the law is creating the problem. What is creating the problem is people like us are willing to break the law.
    I wouldn't see it like that at all, people doing drugs came first. It's something humans do and laws don't change that. The law is expecting the natural world to bend to it's will, it's like getting upset at a dog for rolling in cowpats, you don't like it but the dog does and expecting the dog not to like it is futile.

I believe the law does not solve the problem, or adequately deal with the desire of an adult population who wishes to make their own decisions with regards to certain substances.
    But wasn't the law originally brought in to prevent drug abuse which lead to poor health or death? We can now deal with drug abuse, it's easier for us to deal with drug abuse now than it is to deal with the side effects of the prohibition that was supposed to protect people from the dangers of drug abuse.
    What is creating the problem is basically people who have little to no understanding of the actual realities of drugs and the people who use them and their continued unwillingness to learn.
    People who use drugs and have access to education do seem to learn as much as they can about safe use and exploring the benefits of being in an altered state. Drug abuse is mostly restricted to certain parts of society that have poor education, poor community and are ostracised from the tax paying majority. Abusers of hard drugs are just as likely to abuse alcohol and even food because they're abusing drugs for a reason, it's not the drug that's the problem. People who don't use drugs just don't really know what's going on, they can only believe what their told and a lot of it is conflicting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I just found this appalling article on-line, I have to say it was like stepping into the past to see the lies being peddled to confuse gullible people, Look read it for yourselves and notice how its basically all about Cannabis.

Our boys in blue will never learn, Still treating the Herb like a disease and wasting tax payers money on it..Iv provided a link and anyone who smokes should will more than likely be highly insulted by this scandalous propaganda.

http://www.youghalonline.com/2011/04/15/youghal-and-district-community-alert-meeting-april-1011-by-christy-parker/

Drug awareness presentation
    There are 21 gardai, including three plain clothes and one clerical officer tasked with the job of crime prevention in Youghal. Within the local force, Sergeant Ward and Garda D’Ardis would be more au fait than most with drug crime prevention. The two gardai had brought a plethora of drug-related material to the meeting, including a €1,000 slab of ‘solid’ cannabis resin, €50 bags of herbal ‘grass’ cannabis, grinders and bongs. In a presentation developed particularly to educate parents, guardians and teachers, the gardai also proffered information on drug abuse from a user, social and legal perspectives.
    The small, maturely-aged gathering –most of whom would not previously have encountered any drug stronger than a packet of un-tipped cigarettes- were intrigued and even shocked. That alone is testimony to the dearth of understanding amongst the older generations about the material that persists with such lethal potential in their community and which is particularly prevalent in youth culture.
    The gardai explained that cannabis now accounts for 95% of drugs detections in Youghal, with cocaine use somewhat in decline during these recessionary times while ecstasy and amphetamines are also prevalent but less fashionable at present. Currently, heroin use is not a major issue in Youghal. “Cocaine, heroin and cannabis come from plants, while other drugs are synthetic,” explained Garda D’Ardis, before describing how to recognise herbal cannabis (usually but not inevitably, seven leaves).
    Consumption:
    Focusing on cannabis, the gardai circulated samples and explained how the drug is consumed. Advice was given on tell-tale signs of usage, such as cigarette papers with torn cardboard edges for wedges and so on. The audience learned that the drug is smoked either through mixing with tobacco, through a small pipe or via a large water-based bong. Samples of the innocuous-looking, grinders, often similar in appearance to pencil sharpeners, helped to explain the process by which the drug is first reduced to the required texture and quantity. There was surprise and some anger amongst the gathering that the equipment to facilitate usage was easily and legally available from retail outlets and on the internet.
    Affects:
    Different people will react differently to cannabis consumption, explained Garda D’Ardis. He elaborated that in many instances the full effects may not materialise for several years, as younger people’s cerebral functions evolve. He spoke of one local incident when cannabis provoked a highly violent response in a young user. “Consuming any drug –legal or otherwise- with another is also highly unadvisable,” he added, before warning that, “consumption of any narcotic can be fatal. You can never discount that possibility.” The gardai neglected to observe however that cannabis, especially prolonged use, can reduce sperm count, suppress ovulation in women and harm unborn babies when indulged during pregnancy.
    Searches:
    Diverting briefly to cocaine use, Garda D’Ardis said the drug, in small quantities, can be relatively easy to conceal, whether in adapted containers or on one’s person. The gardai conduct on street searches for drugs when there is “reasonable cause for suspicion.” He said innocent people, perhaps by association, will sometimes be included but “we make no apology for that.” There had been 360 on-street searches in 2010. A parent/guardian is present when persons under 18 are searched.
    Houses:
    The gardai will raid and search a house only after the evidence leans overwhelmingly towards certainty that drugs persist within. Voluntary information and intelligence gathering invariably pre-empted such raids, which were conducted “in a low-key manner” albeit with the premises thoroughly searched. “We raid, on average, one premises every fortnight,” elaborated the garda. “We simply don’t talk about such work and neither of course will the householder!” He revealed that 60 houses searches in Youghal brought drug seizures, eight of which showed intent to supply. There had been 18 similar detections to date in 2011, including three for supply.
    Families:
    The gardai were at pains to stress that those who contact them with information or evidence of a family member using drugs will be treated sympathetically. While every incident is unique, “not everything has to go to court,” advised said Sergeant Ward. The impression given was that where a solution alternative to prosecution was appropriate and effective, it would be considered, with the compliance and co-operation of the perpetrator. “Many drug users are normal, otherwise decent people. There is no nice way to do our job but often we develop a friendly relationship from that point on,” the sergeant proceeded. “They sometimes just need help with their situation and appreciate when it is given.”
    Recruitment:
    Those at the top of the drug-pushing industry are predominantly non-users, “They are essentially business people in that respect,” explained Sergeant Ward. The modus operandi down the chain of command is generally an exercise in seduction and exploitation to herd users into reliance, whether physical, emotional or financial. “Often they will part discount a debt in return for recruiting new users, or actively pushing drugs on their behalf,” he explained. Youghal, he added was “no better or worse than other towns of similar size” in this regard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Total feckin' eejits. Half retarded culchies telling old people about how harmful smoking a bit of dope is. What is the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Total feckin' eejits. Half retarded culchies telling old people about how harmful smoking a bit of dope is. What is the point...

I'm still raging over it, The Gardaí are always winging about lack of resources yet they see fit to use most of these resources to stop people smoking Cannabis.

Yes, There is no point to this stupidity but the Gardai seem to be only interested in easy work and busting people who smoke is amongst the easiest work they will do, Then they go and pat themselves on the back after while the serious drug users are only laughing at them..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there's any truth in what he's saying, but LSD can, in rare instances, cause HPPD, which would be a bit of an occupational hazard for a pilot.

There's no way they could actually test if you'd taken LSD though, unless you'd tripped a few hours before a drugs test.

Looks like that happened to Syd Barrett big time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I'm one of the boring 21% who have never taken any and I have no particular interest in taking any. Alcohol is the strongest drug that I take and to be honest I'm not too pushed about it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

i smoke a fair bit of weed, used to take a few es on the weekends or do a few lines but have gone of the them all together , but still a fan of a bit of smoke..

and that new smoking while driving add seriously pisses me off, the bloke broke the red light because he didn see it or was chatting in the car, weed does not make you blind nor those it affect your driving..

the gards would be better of using their time finding the scum who robbed my bike for example rather then worrying about weed and hash..

it does no harm and if the goverment used their heads and legalised and put a tax on it we wouldn be in recession ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I have't taken an illegal substance in over decade I'd say.

I still fully support the complete legalisation of drugs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i'd of thought for irish people everyone would only tick the crack box.

AH is ****e these days :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

5 out of the list for me!

davemc180 wrote: »
    i smoke a fair bit of weed, used to take a few es on the weekends or do a few lines but have gone of the them all together , but still a fan of a bit of smoke..

and that new smoking while driving add seriously pisses me off, the bloke broke the red light because he didn see it or was chatting in the car, weed does not make you blind nor those it affect your driving..the gards would be better of using their time finding the scum who robbed my bike for example rather then worrying about weed and hash..

it does no harm and if the goverment used their heads and legalised and put a tax on it we wouldn be in recession ...

It affects your concentration and response times. Of course it s going to affect your driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

why no option for charlie sheen ? :P
    nothing heavier than weed for me great way to relax and great fun in a group of friends , wary of some of the others, friends have been hospitalised from yokes and coke heads are assholes to deal with in work the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 LivetoGive

I made a pie chart to represent the results because the percentages being over 9000 make it hard to visualize (for me at least)

I multiplied the 'none of the above' result by 4 (making it 84 instead of 21) to try and get a more accurate picture of the population as a whole. The reason I did so was; 1) to compensate for a lot of the results being inflated by multiple votes coming from the same person, 2) most of the boardsies who would be interested in this thread have taken one or more drugs.

I can't figure out how to make it appear on the thread as a picture, check out the attachment!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

H you do realise the '21' that you decided to multiply randomly is a percentage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

H you do realise the '21' that you decided to multiply randomly is a percentage?

Yeah, that makes no sense! Anyways, ya can't vote twice, why would ya alter the results?

Herp derp i didn't 'randomly' multiply anything, read it again.

And if you cannot understand how people can 'vote twice' then I can't really help you. All I'll say is, someone can select multiple drugs on the list, but nobody selected multiple drugs AND 'none of the above'

Come on people, use your head! I shouldn't have to explain these things.

• Advertisement

LivetoGive wrote: »
    Herp derp i didn't 'randomly' multiply anything, read it again.

And if you cannot understand how people can 'vote twice' then I can't really help you. All I'll say is, someone can select multiple drugs on the list, but nobody selected multiple drugs AND 'none of the above'

Come on people, use your head! I shouldn't have to explain these things.

Maybe cos it's early but no, I really can't understand so please do explain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

It affects your concentration and response times. Of course it s going to affect your driving.

yea wen you are sitting in the 1 spot , say on a sofa for example, but when your driving, well me any it actually makes me concentrate more at the task in hand... thats my honest opinion and im sure im not alone on it...

Actually, I see what you mean, there is an overlap on people who've taken more than one drug. But I don't see how arbitrarily multiplying the 'none of the above' helps the situation. What you would need is to get each as a % off 100 for it to make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I made a pie chart to represent the results because the percentages being over 9000 make it hard to visualize (for me at least)

I multiplied the 'none of the above' result by 4 (making it 84 instead of 21) to try and get a more accurate picture of the population as a whole. The reason I did so was; 1) to compensate for a lot of the results being inflated by multiple votes coming from the same person, 2) most of the boardsies who would be interested in this thread have taken one or more drugs.

I can't figure out how to make it appear on the thread as a picture, check out the attachment!

Have you ever considered a role in the department of finance?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Smoked a load of weed in Amsterdam there a week or two ago. Was great. Barely drank 4 bottles of cider the entire weekend!

dearg lady wrote: »
    Actually, I see what you mean, there is an overlap on people who've taken more than one drug. But I don't see how arbitrarily multiplying the 'none of the above' helps the situation. What you would need is to get each as a % off 100 for it to make sense.

lolol multiplying 'none of the above' by 4 does that. I am baffled that you still cannot understand why. have another nice long think about it.... or try reading (and taking in) what I have already said.

Wertz wrote: »
    Have you ever considered a role in the department of finance?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Jesus, i think a few people round here need to get some of the above into em & unwind:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

charlemont wrote: »
    I just found this appalling article on-line, I have to say it was like stepping into the past to see the lies being peddled to confuse gullible people, Look read it for yourselves and notice how its basically all about Cannabis.

Our boys in blue will never learn, Still treating the Herb like a disease and wasting tax payers money on it..Iv provided a link and anyone who smokes should will more than likely be highly insulted by this scandalous propaganda.

http://www.youghalonline.com/2011/04/15/youghal-and-district-community-alert-meeting-april-1011-by-christy-parker/

Drug awareness presentation
    There are 21 gardai, including three plain clothes and one clerical officer tasked with the job of crime prevention in Youghal. Within the local force, Sergeant Ward and Garda D’Ardis would be more au fait than most with drug crime prevention. The two gardai had brought a plethora of drug-related material to the meeting, including a €1,000 slab of ‘solid’ cannabis resin, €50 bags of herbal ‘grass’ cannabis, grinders and bongs. In a presentation developed particularly to educate parents, guardians and teachers, the gardai also proffered information on drug abuse from a user, social and legal perspectives.
    The small, maturely-aged gathering –most of whom would not previously have encountered any drug stronger than a packet of un-tipped cigarettes- were intrigued and even shocked. That alone is testimony to the dearth of understanding amongst the older generations about the material that persists with such lethal potential in their community and which is particularly prevalent in youth culture.
    The gardai explained that cannabis now accounts for 95% of drugs detections in Youghal, with cocaine use somewhat in decline during these recessionary times while ecstasy and amphetamines are also prevalent but less fashionable at present. Currently, heroin use is not a major issue in Youghal. “Cocaine, heroin and cannabis come from plants, while other drugs are synthetic,” explained Garda D’Ardis, before describing how to recognise herbal cannabis (usually but not inevitably, seven leaves).
    Consumption:
    Focusing on cannabis, the gardai circulated samples and explained how the drug is consumed. Advice was given on tell-tale signs of usage, such as cigarette papers with torn cardboard edges for wedges and so on. The audience learned that the drug is smoked either through mixing with tobacco, through a small pipe or via a large water-based bong. Samples of the innocuous-looking, grinders, often similar in appearance to pencil sharpeners, helped to explain the process by which the drug is first reduced to the required texture and quantity. There was surprise and some anger amongst the gathering that the equipment to facilitate usage was easily and legally available from retail outlets and on the internet.
    Affects:
    Different people will react differently to cannabis consumption, explained Garda D’Ardis. He elaborated that in many instances the full effects may not materialise for several years, as younger people’s cerebral functions evolve. He spoke of one local incident when cannabis provoked a highly violent response in a young user. “Consuming any drug –legal or otherwise- with another is also highly unadvisable,” he added, before warning that, “consumption of any narcotic can be fatal. You can never discount that possibility.” The gardai neglected to observe however that cannabis, especially prolonged use, can reduce sperm count, suppress ovulation in women and harm unborn babies when indulged during pregnancy.
    Searches:
    Diverting briefly to cocaine use, Garda D’Ardis said the drug, in small quantities, can be relatively easy to conceal, whether in adapted containers or on one’s person. The gardai conduct on street searches for drugs when there is “reasonable cause for suspicion.” He said innocent people, perhaps by association, will sometimes be included but “we make no apology for that.” There had been 360 on-street searches in 2010. A parent/guardian is present when persons under 18 are searched.
    Houses:
    The gardai will raid and search a house only after the evidence leans overwhelmingly towards certainty that drugs persist within. Voluntary information and intelligence gathering invariably pre-empted such raids, which were conducted “in a low-key manner” albeit with the premises thoroughly searched. “We raid, on average, one premises every fortnight,” elaborated the garda. “We simply don’t talk about such work and neither of course will the householder!” He revealed that 60 houses searches in Youghal brought drug seizures, eight of which showed intent to supply. There had been 18 similar detections to date in 2011, including three for supply.
    Families:
    The gardai were at pains to stress that those who contact them with information or evidence of a family member using drugs will be treated sympathetically. While every incident is unique, “not everything has to go to court,” advised said Sergeant Ward. The impression given was that where a solution alternative to prosecution was appropriate and effective, it would be considered, with the compliance and co-operation of the perpetrator. “Many drug users are normal, otherwise decent people. There is no nice way to do our job but often we develop a friendly relationship from that point on,” the sergeant proceeded. “They sometimes just need help with their situation and appreciate when it is given.”
    Recruitment:
    Those at the top of the drug-pushing industry are predominantly non-users, “They are essentially business people in that respect,” explained Sergeant Ward. The modus operandi down the chain of command is generally an exercise in seduction and exploitation to herd users into reliance, whether physical, emotional or financial. “Often they will part discount a debt in return for recruiting new users, or actively pushing drugs on their behalf,” he explained. Youghal, he added was “no better or worse than other towns of similar size” in this regard.

Clueless. I live in Roscommon where some towns are being ravaged by heroin. I know first hand of these problems and am very close to one person who's ex-girlfriend is going down a bad road. Yet the Gardai focus on weed that does not cause problems to society like we see with harder drugs. Fools

• Advertisement

lolol multiplying 'none of the above' by 4 does that. I am baffled that you still cannot understand why. have another nice long think about it.... or try reading (and taking in) what I have already said.

Your posts are so smug and patronising, but you have yet to explain yourself

Advertisement